• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Scrimmage anyone?

Homegrown, why don't you post some post scrimmage analysis after the scrum tonight for those of us that are out of the area.

I don't like to chastise the local media and the ISU Sports information too much, but the coverage of this spring has been horrible compared to what we have seen in the recent past. I know practices are early, but I would expect to see more. Especially some sort of IN DEPTH spring release from the SID--a Kramer interview or something. It is sad really, especially given what other BSC schools are doing to promote spring ball.

I agree with you, Cub, about lack of coverage for Spring football, but the same has been true for men's basketball. If it hadn't been for you digging info out about Assistant Coaches, we wouldn't have anything. Fans want to feel like they are included all the time, not just when a fund drive is approaching. It's almost like our SID has been replaced by a SNID--Sports No Information Director. Seems to be a new pattern out of ISU. I hope I'm wrong. We're all anxious to get behind these teams and help pull our Bengal community together, but it's hard to get behind nothing. Are we trying to lower expectations for the coming seasons to avoid disappointment? Seems harsh to say, but that's how I'm feeling right now.

SLCBengal said:
The Bengal, ISU's student newspaper, actually has had one of the better write-ups I've seen this year regarding spring practice / the first scrimmage...[/u][/url]

I was getting around to posting the link as well... but, with the non-existent traffic on this site I didn't bother. Anyway, I read the article and my first thought was "this guy could be hired at the Journal tomorrow and it would be an improvement over what I've read lately.

For the sake of comparison, you can read this non-news story from the journal.... painful.

http://idahostatejournal.com/sports/local/article_46606c12-8833-11e1-bb47-001a4bcf887a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMO, this is the worst spring football coverage I can remember (1999-2011). Am I out of line here?

Participation and information is going to be down a bit for the immediate future. Idaho State has officially banned all folks that are employees of the university from participating on this site. While I understand that reasoning, it hurts participation and information on the Den. I would say that a good majority of the posters on the Den were in fact ISU employees. I thank the good man upstairs for PM's, because the information is sparse at this time of year.

Well, to say the least, you for sure do not want the play by play coming from me. I love the sport and am so excited for the future of this team, but truthfully, I do not understand it well enough to explain what I see!!(pretty embarrassing to admit on a sports blog!) I can tell you this. The offense looked good, there were some seats with bengal fan butts in them, and the feeling around me seemed to be positive. For someone like me, who does not understand all of the mumbo jumbo of football, the excitement of the fans, the community support, and just the wanting something better for our college town, is really what keeps me going and hoping. I love that we have local boys to support and watch, so everything that you all have talked about is especially important to someone like me. I have to think I am not the only one. I am proud of this team and what Kramer is wanting, and expecting from his players and from us, the fans. GO BENGALS!

That's really interesting. I'm actually encouraged to post things on the UNM fan boards. That's really interesting...again.

I'm glad folks enjoyed what I tried to do while I was there. I know they are in a transition time of sorts over there in media relations trying to officially fill Katie's position. I wish they were doing more video stuff...I felt like Katie and I had the video stuff moving in the right direction.

FormerISUSID

Yeah Frank, I think the whole basketball coaching thread ended up being more than Tingey could handle, and rightfully so. First you had current men's assistant coaches chiming in. Then you had past members of O'Brien's staff chiming in and ripping boosters and their businesses. Also, you had athletic department employees bashing the basketball hoops committee. Lastly, you had players and parents posting. It doesn't take rocket science when you read certain post to tell if it is a casual fan or someone who is actually on the inside. You can tell by the lingo they use.

Quite frankly, I understand Jeff saying...stay off the board. In fact when I spoke to him awhile back, I told him that I think that it would be a good policy. Of course it cuts both ways. Coaching show reminders and scrimmage reminders aren't posted here.

Folks that want to post...in time will create a new moniker and continue to post. Plus, the flow of messages via PM is alive and well. When things are going well or moving forward, the less information that is shared. When things are bad or in transition (meaning football or men's basketball) then the PM's light up like a festival of Christmas trees.

Frank you stared something really cool with the website, but ISU is failing to capitalize on it by not being dedicated to keeping it fresh and innovative. Most schools have highlights of recruits and make signing day more than a ticker. The rosters are old and outdated and you just don't see much in the way of interviews and well written stories. That website should rock and be a marketing strength of ISU athletics. ISU can control the message on an official site. The Den cannot be controlled, and although very, very, very informative...you get the positive and negative...truths and untruths.

Nice video from KPVI on the scrimmage linked below. Quite a few shots of the different QB's and their throwing action. Also, quite a few shots of the receivers constantly getting over the top and beyond coverage.

Kramer is high on Richardson and it's easy to see why, he should be able to get separation against some of the more formidable opponents when nobody else can, IMO.

http://www.kpvi.com/content/sports/story/ISU-Idaho-State-Bengals-Mike-Kramer-Spring/YEnSrie3YE6L-b8MBq90Aw.cspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With the incoming crop of FR, I expect the ISU offense will make some big strides this year. Depth and talent at WR, bigger offensive lineman and a bigger RB.

The defense is another question. It is nice to see that Gupton is playing in scrimmage. Has anyone seen Pleasant. Is Gupton playing at CB or safety? If he is at safety, ISU is in desperate needs for a corner. Boyles may be serviceable, but he has never played a season of college football on the field as a DB. Idaho State could be hurting in a BIG WAY at corner, unless they find an answer in the fall.

Also, because little league stats are all that are being kept at scrimmages, I cannot see if the ISU defense is generating any sacks. Is the defensive line creating any pressure? If not, some help may be here in the fall.

I think in the end, the offense could be way better than last year and the defense might end up being quite a bit worse than last year. That is if the early scrimmage numbers are any indication.

I think the defense will continue to get better. The tackling and pursuit will continue to improve. You have to consider that there are at least 3 starters (Leki,Rouser, and Coleman) and a number of contributers that did not play thursday . Boyles did play CB at Washington and should be solid at one corner. If Pleseant can stay healthy he should also contribute. Gupton is currently one of the starting safetys along with Davis. There is some moving around to get more speed on the field. I would expect that at least 3 incoming freshman will be contbributing next season. The offense is much improved but the scrimmages dont allow for sacks so those numbers may be somewhat scewed.

isubengalfan said:
I think the defense will continue to get better. The tackling and pursuit will continue to improve. You have to consider that there are at least 3 starters (Leki,Rouser, and Coleman) and a number of contributers that did not play thursday . Boyles did play CB at Washington and should be solid at one corner. If Pleseant can stay healthy he should also contribute. Gupton is currently one of the starting safetys along with Davis. There is some moving around to get more speed on the field. I would expect that at least 3 incoming freshman will be contbributing next season. The offense is much improved but the scrimmages dont allow for sacks so those numbers may be somewhat scewed.

That is why I asked about Coleman.

Latest posts

Back