• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Second Scrimmage

PBP

Folks:

Here is the info on the second scrimmage courtesy of the ISU sports information department, please make note of the final sentence if you are planning on attending the last scrimmage next Saturday:

Offense Shows Improvement in Second Spring Scrimmage

POCATELLO, Idaho- The offense of the Idaho State football team showed great improvement in the second spring scrimmage on Saturday morning. A week after the first scrimmage where ISU coach Mike Kramer said the offense committed 16 negative plays, the quarterback duo of Tanner Gueller and James Delacenserie led ISU on eight touchdown drives while cutting down on the turnovers.

Along with the eight touchdowns, Zak Johnson was 3-4 kicking field goals on the afternoon.

"We avoided a lot of negative plays," Kramer said. "Last week we had 16 negative plays, five drops, four penalties, two picks and lost three fumbles. We threw some picks today and we fumbled a couple of times but overall we played much better on offense. That is a tribute to our offensive staff grinding away and it shows the relative youth we have at quarterback. They were not as nervous today as last Saturday."

Gueller and Delacenserie took all the reps at quarterback as Trae Pilster has been moved to slot receiver.

"It really helped us offensively to move Trae Pilster to slot," Kramer said. "He will stay there and be the third quarterback in our organization."

Delacenserie threw three touchdowns passes, a strike of 27 yards to Tyler Wright, 13 yards to CJ Hatchett and 35 yards to Hagen Graves.

Gueller threw a 19-yard touchdown strike to Josh Cook. Jakori Ford had touchdown runs of nine, one and 78 yards and Braeden Mitchell had a one-yard run.

The Bengal defense forced three turnovers. Micah Breland had two interceptions and Tyler Kuder recovered a fumble. The defense also forced five punts and the offense to turn the ball over on downs.

The Bengals conclude spring practice on Saturday, April 25 at 12 p.m. Barring bad weather, the Dave Kragthorpe Classic will be held outside on the ICCU Practice Field

PBP

OK so we are going to hold a game outside with out any bleachers, our goal for the spring game is generate interest in the program and sell tickets. If people do dhow up to the spring game they are going to stand or sit on the grass. I have to say completely disappointed and dismayed at the lack of marketing and planning. ISU has completely fallen on there face on this one. A chance to make some money and be less reliant on student funds but no lets just do nothing.

...I like your idea BengalSapper....I would imagine with the Bengal Auction being held that evening the answer would probably be "too busy"....however I think your point is well taken...and it might be a great way for the F A T Club to tie it together with a membership drive...there will obviously be a lot parents watching their sons play....in from out of town, etc...(I wonder if we even try to invite them to the Bengal Auction....you know.....to be truly part of the " Bengal Family " kind of thing )..... ..seems easy enough to set up some bleachers....they could have a cookout before the scrimmage and maybe have the Orange and Black Store have a booth up there selling ISU stuff.....your idea has common sense....that's probably why it's not being done...the ones that seem to be "no brainers" are discarded first whoever it is that is charge..... :twocents:

Is there anyone who would benefit from what seems to be an obvious failure here? I would think that maybe bleachers would benefit year round, most of it anyway, and provide a more enthusiasm to the young ens.

OK the spring game needs to be a game like one played in the fall. The game needs to have food, cheerleaders, bands, all the good stuff. I have watched several of the spring games on ESPN Big ten and Pac networks. I am not saying that we can be like Ohio State and set a record of over 99,000 in attendance but we should try to fill the dome, generate interest, sell season tickets, and ISU apparel. I am about ready to start making a stink about the amount of money that is spent on the athletic department that is funded by student tuition.

If we are paying people to market ISU and the athletic department I want to see it. I am not seeing any push by ISU to take advantage of the success of ISU. We have a great soccer team the BSC champs in Volleyball, Softball is in 1st place and the success of the football team needs to be taken advantage of. I hate comparing ISU to Boise State but when in Boise you can buy hats t shirts and bumper stickers at every gas station walmart and convenience store in the valley. You can also find U of I stuff to. I can find BSU and U of I swag in Pocatello but no ISU!!!!! This is a failure!!!!!!

Lets do this Army style for a sec (My last assignment I was responsible for $30 million in equipment 130 Soldiers and moving them around the world and back with a year in combat so according to the Army I am a subject mater expert in planing and execution) I want to see the short, intermediate and long term plan and goals. I want the growth projects, coast analysis best and worst case scenarios. I want to see all plans concerning every athletic event with task purpose and standard. I want a written execution order with task to subordinates on how we will execute these events successfully. I doubt that anything like that exist or has ever been thought of. Whether you are storming an enemy position or planing a spring football game it is the same, clear direction, planning, and a clear task purpose and standard from the top. If this was the private sector or the military the performance to this point is unacceptable and people would be fired or relieved. Its kind of hard for me as an alum to donate money when ISU administration is not performing when it comes to marketing.

:twocents:

Bengal:

Sounds like you've put some thought into this. My recommendation would be letting the folks in charge know what you think and to pass along any recommendations you might have.

PBP

PBP said:
Bengal:

Sounds like you've put some thought into this. My recommendation would be letting the folks in charge know what you think and to pass along any recommendations you might have.

PBP

They read it. Trust me, boy oh boy do they read it...

BengalSapper said:
OK the spring game needs to be a game like one played in the fall. The game needs to have food, cheerleaders, bands, all the good stuff. I have watched several of the spring games on ESPN Big ten and Pac networks. I am not saying that we can be like Ohio State and set a record of over 99,000 in attendance but we should try to fill the dome, generate interest, sell season tickets, and ISU apparel. I am about ready to start making a stink about the amount of money that is spent on the athletic department that is funded by student tuition.

If we are paying people to market ISU and the athletic department I want to see it. I am not seeing any push by ISU to take advantage of the success of ISU. We have a great soccer team the BSC champs in Volleyball, Softball is in 1st place and the success of the football team needs to be taken advantage of. I hate comparing ISU to Boise State but when in Boise you can buy hats t shirts and bumper stickers at every gas station walmart and convenience store in the valley. You can also find U of I stuff to. I can find BSU and U of I swag in Pocatello but no ISU!!!!! This is a failure!!!!!!

Lets do this Army style for a sec (My last assignment I was responsible for $30 million in equipment 130 Soldiers and moving them around the world and back with a year in combat so according to the Army I am a subject mater expert in planing and execution) I want to see the short, intermediate and long term plan and goals. I want the growth projects, coast analysis best and worst case scenarios. I want to see all plans concerning every athletic event with task purpose and standard. I want a written execution order with task to subordinates on how we will execute these events successfully. I doubt that anything like that exist or has ever been thought of. Whether you are storming an enemy position or planing a spring football game it is the same, clear direction, planning, and a clear task purpose and standard from the top. If this was the private sector or the military the performance to this point is unacceptable and people would be fired or relieved. Its kind of hard for me as an alum to donate money when ISU administration is not performing when it comes to marketing.

:twocents:
While your at it Sapper, ask the person in charge of schedule posters if they were going to call me back and let me know where to get one, and tell the person up front that they do make schedule posters for the community.

You are 100% correct. We'll never have 99,000 people so what. If 5000 show up that's a win. Hell 1500. Now is the time and this is the place. The staff and administration dropped the ball in 2015 but hopefully after an even better season 2016 will be off the chain

Do you guys complaining realize how awful the surface is in Holt in the spring? Anytime the weather permits for the team to be outside its a huge benefit for player safety.

ISU has dropped the ball BIG TIME on this! There has been NO publicity about the Spring Game. The definition of INSANITY is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results. ISU REFUSES to implement anything new, and then wonders why things don't improve. They run the same fundraisers OVER and OVER again. Sapper had some great ideas for the spring game. These are common sense ideas, but nothing has been done or will be done. If the admin is READING this WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jshark22 said:
Do you guys complaining realize how awful the surface is in Holt in the spring? Anytime the weather permits for the team to be outside its a huge benefit for player safety.

I played on that field a ton. You will be OK. If it is that big of a deal put the field down, and yes I dont care how much it cost. We need community support bottom line.

As an example I got an email today from the BIG Sky Conference store advertising hats. I have included the link please go and see if you can find a ISU hat. Also look at the school gear for other BC teams and see how bad our area sucks. This is what I am talking about not taking advantage of of the possibility.
http://www.bigskyshop.com/default.a...PT23_HATW1_BSKY&utm_campaign=EML15_PT23_HATW1

I posted this on FEB 16 2010 It is funny that we are still talking about the same problems. I have outlined the basic things that need to happen and this is 5 years old.

10 THINGS

Post by BengalSapper » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:16 pm

As a Bengal I have talked to a lot of alum and students about what ISU could do to make the football program better. This is not a bash or a bitch session. I understand that the athletic department is doing every thing they can. The other night I was with a group of Bengals and here are 10 ideas that were discussed. Add yours what would you like to see on game day.

1.Bengal TV!!!! ISU needs to broadcast all of the football games to the southeast Idaho area. I have herd from a lot of people that they don’t have time, money or the interest to go to a game but would watch it on TV. It would help get people interested and possible attend games. ISU should talk to cable One or channel 6 and see if it would be possible to get them to carry the feed on one of there channels.Having games on TV would also help with recruiting.

2.Fans. ISU needs butts in the seats. I don’t know the average but it had to be around 6000 average attendance. If you can’t sell the tickets give them away. Plan on giving 2000-2500 tickets away until sells increase. If people show up at lest there will be people in the stands and they might buy something and make noise.

3.The Bengal website. I love what cub does with his recruit post it would be great to get them on the football site. Also a meet the current players to help put a face on the team. For a long time ISU football was thought of as a bunch of outsiders that are all thugs. ISU has 24 scholarship players from Idaho and lots more walk-ons. A 2010 schedule, news from the Coach Z, highlights, past games so you can watch if you missed it. Basically more stuff so people can learn and get excited for football!!

4.Advertising. There is not a lot of adds out for Bengal football. ISU needs high energy ads, videos on the ISU homepage a P.R. campaign. I found this vid on you tube it is cool something like this to get people excited. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha09HDDJa3c&feature=fvw

5.Merchandise. I went to buy Bengal gear and found nothing good. The bookstore sucks. ISU needs to sell orange and black at every game. The bookstore claims to sell it at all the football games but you have to look hard to find it. I am sick of seeing more Boise State T-shirts at games and on campuses than ISU. Fans need to have foam fingers, thunder-sticks, horns noodles and other stuff to help the team.

6.Concessions. The atmosphere at the Dome before a game is somber like your dog just died. It needs to be a party. If you cant sell burgers and other stuff inside sell it out side. I am all about a family atmosphere but if you need people get a keg.

7.A Cannon. A lot of other schools have a cannon that is fired when a touchdown is scored. ISU needs a cannon because it would be cool and it is loud goes boom and helps get players and fans fired up. Also it would bring the ROTC department and more people in the Dome. I am in the Army and know a lot of people I can probable make this happen if it is wanted.

8.Bigger Band. ISU has a awesome marching band make it bigger.

9.Black helmets. The white helmets are ugly and need to go.

10. A winning season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by BengalSapper on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bengal:

Good ideas and the success of the team last season may have changed things a little but I can tell you that because of the cost to rent a production truck and the cost of hiring personnel, no TV station in Southeast Idaho would be interested in televising ISU football games. They'd probably lose a good deal of money on it if they tried to do an entire season for example even if they were able to sell some advertising for it.

It's unfortunate but that's not going to happen. Especially now that KPVI-TV has in essence, dropped sports coverage. The last time I can remember a game being televised in this area by local people / stations / equipment was when ISU opened at Ole' Miss, I want to say in 1997?

I helped arrange it through Cable One (I was working for them at the time). Jim Fox and Brad Bugger did a simulcast from an announcing standpoint and the video feed came from Ole' Miss.

Outside of that I can't recall any being done locally.

PBP

Upper:

They did, that's true. Channel 6 sent their sports anchor to do the play by play and got the video feed from the NCAA. That was a one shot deal though, nothing along the lines of trying to televise an entire season.

Good catch though.

PBP

I wonder if it would be possible to run the BigSkyTV feed on one of the digital channels. There has to be a way to do this on the cheap. These are things we need to start thinking about because I don’t believe the dome has a large enough seating capacity for where Kramer is going to take us.

UpperValleyBengal said:
I wonder if it would be possible to run the BigSkyTV feed on one of the digital channels. There has to be a way to do this on the cheap. These are things we need to start thinking about because I don’t believe the dome has a large enough seating capacity for where Kramer is going to take us.

Interesting idea.

Latest posts

Back