• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Should RB Michael Dean get more carries per game?

True Freshmen RB Michael Dean after 4 games is averaging 3 carries per game averaging 15.8 yards per carry with a total of 3 TD's. Should Kramer increase his carries per game? As a fan, I think he should carry the ball at least 10 carries per game as his average per carry is really good and it would appear that he has a nose for the end zone. We will see how many carries he gets in the Portland State game and what he averages per carry.

Sure, he needs more carries than the four he got in the Sac State game. But more that 10 per game, probably not yet. I'm a HUGE Mikey Dean fan. But I think he is getting great carries and touchdowns partly because he is fresh, and being used as a secret weapon. You can't use your secret weapon on every play. Also, he can't effectively run block, or protect the QB. So if he was in there 25 plays and receive 15 carries, we would suffer with protection and run blocking. Just a few thoughts on the topic. But I do think he should get in on 15 plays to get about 10 touches.

I think Kramer knows what he's doing with Dean. If I had to guess how many times he'll carry the ball this week, My guess would be 8 times. He seems to get twice as many carries than the week before in the last two weeks.

I doubt Kramer uses Michael Dean for pass blocking. He probably goes out to the flat as a receiver if Gueller is going to pass. No reason for him to get hurt pass blocking. By the way, he has one reception for 17 yards which is better than his rushing average per carry. As of today, he appears to be a double threat as a RB and as a receiver. Portland State cannot key on him when he is in the game as he could run the ball or go out for a pass.

Coach K said on the Coaches Show the other night that MD will also be returning kickoffs with Jakori.

MD is much quickier than Ford. MD is going to be a big time player if he stays healthy. No more than 8 packs per game for the young man, plus ST.

bhumble said:
MD is much quickier than Ford. MD is going to be a big time player if he stays healthy. No more than 8 packs per game for the young man, plus ST.

i would give the ball to MD as much as possible until he pulls himself out of the game. How can you deny giving him the ball as he is a threat to score a TD every time he carries the ball.

because he physically can't take all that pounding. He's really not even as big as he's listed on te roster. And if you don't think the memory of Andrew Benavides lingers in Coach Kramer's mind, you're wrong.

votb said:
because he physically can't take all that pounding. He's really not even as big as he's listed on te roster. And if you don't think the memory of Andrew Benavides lingers in Coach Kramer's mind, you're wrong.

Agree. 6-8 touches per game plus ST. He is electric. The best I have seen at ISU since Alfredo Anderson. :clap: :notworthy: :clap:

votb said:

I believe 6-8 carries against Portland State would be about right and potentially more in the future depending how he performs. Jakori Ford is the starter and is a senior so he deserves more carries per game as he is a very good RB.

I believe Ford is a good RB,that Dean is small, that it feels good when people get their due. BUT, I also believe that if we're gonna get better recruits and win Kramer has to play the players who give him the best chance of winning. With that said football is more like a chess match than a 100yd dash. I believe part of both players, and the teams, success comes from the threat they and their teammates possess that are on the field at any given play.
Let Kramer play out his strategy, he knew what and who MD is when he recruited him, and the other players he has on the team.

I think Kramer is doing a really good job. The season is young. Let's see what happens today. This is a very big game. We should be able to run on them.

After the Sac St game, our secret weapon is not so secret to the rest of the Big Sky. I, too, am concerned about injuries, and the Benevides player came to mind as VOTB mentioned. We just have to rely on Coach Mike and staff to make the right call. They are most in tune with players' current status. That said, I look for a big game from Michael Dean and the entire team today. Go Bengals!

bill_idaflls said:
After the Sac St game, our secret weapon is not so secret to the rest of the Big Sky. I, too, am concerned about injuries, and the Benevides player came to mind as VOTB mentioned. We just have to rely on Coach Mike and staff to make the right call. They are most in tune with players' current status. That said, I look for a big game from Michael Dean and the entire team today. Go Bengals!

I agree with what you are saying. We never want to see players obtain injuries but we all know it can happen to any player big or small. Michael Dean is small....he has been told that all of his life. Ask him if he wants to carry the ball knowing the risks of being injured. I guarantee you he will say he wants to carry the ball as much as possible.

Latest posts

Back