• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Signing Day

Skippy

I talked to Steve Schaack this week and he said he’ll post on the ISU website the names of signees as the LOIs come in, starting this morning.

Ruger Jennings and Sam Funkhouser, both from Gooding, have signed...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ISUBengals/status/943536818313609217[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ISUBengals/status/943536441002311680[/tweet]

Christian McFarland, Sacramento City College, has tweeted that he has signed. He had originally been offered (and committed) with Air Force out of high school...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/7theFinesser/status/943613468476764160[/tweet]

2017 Idaho State Early Signings
Christian McFarland, 6-0. 190, S, Sacramento, Calif. Sacramento City College, Jr.
Sam Funkhouser, 6-2, 198, LB, Gooding, Idaho, Gooding HS, Fr.
Preston Holfeltz, 6-4, 300, OL, Sandy, Utah, Snow College, Jr.
Ruger Jennings, 6-2, 180, S, Gooding, Idaho, Gooding HS, Fr.
John Perko, 6-4, 290, OL, Spokane, Wash., Gonzaga Prep, Fr.
Ty Metcalfe, 6-0, 180, S, Syracuse, Utah, Syracuse HS, Fr.

Devin Dabich, 6-0, 175, S, Pomona, Calif. Diamond Ranch HS, Fr.

Signed today, ISU said this will be the last "early" signee.

PBP

5 freshmen and 2 JC Transfers for early signing. I hope that is not the end of the JC Transfers. We need experienced players for our defense side. SUU signed 2 high school players and 4 JC Transfers.

up for the challenge said:
5 freshmen and 2 JC Transfers for early signing. I hope that is not the end of the JC Transfers. We need experienced players for our defense side. SUU signed 2 high school players and 4 JC Transfers.

For whatever it's worth I was speaking with someone about this issue and was told that Rob and the staff (much like Mike) isn't that hot on the idea of JC's in the first place. And as I've already posted Rob himself said during a coaches' radio show,JC's academically are more difficult to get into ISU. To say nothing of having to replace them after two years instead of potentially four.

I'm sure the staff will always look at JC's to fill a specific area of need, but they simply aren't going to go hog-wild and bring in a bunch at a single time.

That doesn't appear to be an operating philosophy for them (nor was it Mike's)

PBP

PBP said:

For whatever it's worth I was speaking with someone about this issue and was told that Rob and the staff (much like Mike) isn't that hot on the idea of JC's in the first place. And as I've already posted Rob himself said during a coaches' radio show,JC's academically are more difficult to get into ISU. To say nothing of having to replace them after two years instead of potentially four.

I'm sure the staff will always look at JC's to fill a specific area of need, but they simply aren't going to go hog-wild and bring in a bunch at a single time.

PBP

Coach Phen just revived two L.O.I. from JUCO Players so it must not be that difficult to get into ISU as you say. He may sign more for this upcoming season if he needs more At Need players. We will see. I do not know why Coach Phen would have the same recruiting philosophy as Coach Kramer regarding JUCO's as he coached at the JUCO level before.

PBP said:

PBP

Coach Phen just revived two L.O.I. from JUCO Players so it must not be that difficult to get into ISU as you say. He may sign more for this upcoming season if he needs more At Need players. We will see. I do not know why Coach Phen would have the same recruiting philosophy as Coach Kramer regarding JUCO's as he coached at the JUCO level before.

I didn't say it. Rob did. And please re-read what I wrote:

"I'm sure the staff will always look at JC's to fill a specific area of need, but they simply aren't going to go hog-wild and bring in a bunch at a single time."

If you think ISU can solve the football issue by bringing in eight or so JC's, that's not happening based on what I've been told.

PBP

SLCBengal said:
Christian McFarland, Sacramento City College, has tweeted that he has signed. He had originally been offered (and committed) with Air Force out of high school...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/7theFinesser/status/943613468476764160[/tweet]

Offered and committed to Air Force. This kid has to be bright or AFA wouldn't even consider him. Would have to be a good baller, or, you know, AFA wouldn't even consider him. Hmm.... Air Force academics(+), 20 years til retirement(+), AFA facilities(+), FBS(+), degree from AFA(+), HC there for last 11 years(+). By comparison, ISU academics(-), 20 years til....age 42-43, ISU facilities( :rofl: ), FCS(and one of the worst conferences therein), degree from ISU.
( :coffee: ), HC there since...March(Zamberlin, Kramer, and Phenicie in last 11 years).
He had to consider the regimented military lifestyle cadets lead BEFORE committing. Must be the wide range of non-football activities available in Pocatello that the Cheyenne-Fort Collins-Denver-Colorado Springs metro area can only dream of. Doesn't add up. Did AFA withdraw the offer?

I hate to take the bait of a troll, but all I can offer is what some recruiting services provided:

https://247sports.com/player/christian-mcfarland-88619

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2016/christian-mcfarland-20361

I've seen quite a few players back away from military academies for one reason or another. The girl from Arco (Butte County, ID) committed to play basketball for Air Force a few years ago, and as memory serves me, she either backed away at the last moment or ended up transferring to a J.C. (and then played for Boise State, as I recall).

SLC, I just point out the obvious. I mentioned the military life style, and compared and contrasted other factors for each place. He is a two star player. You, or others, could write a brief treatise on the allure of ISU/ Pocatello, as compared to AFA/Fort Collins. I'd love to read it. Don't try to B.S. your way through it, I've spent the vast majority of the new millennium in Pokey. Allow me to simplify:
1) if YOU had a choice between the Apple and the worm, what would you choose?
2) Why would HE choose the worm over the apple?
3) I ask questions, and you label me a troll?
Questions, questions, questions. Your turn for answers, answers, answers, or what I would expect...silence, silence, silence.

otis campbell said:
SLC, I just point out the obvious. I mentioned the military life style, and compared and contrasted other factors for each place. He is a two star player. You, or others, could write a brief treatise on the allure of ISU/ Pocatello, as compared to AFA/Fort Collins. I'd love to read it. Don't try to B.S. your way through it, I've spent the vast majority of the new millennium in Pokey. Allow me to simplify:
Questions, questions, questions. Your turn for answers, answers, answers, or what I would expect...silence, silence, silence.

Every recruit makes his or her decision based on what’s important to them. Ty Flanagan turned down a scholarship from his hometown FBS school, UNLV to come to ISU, where he has been very productive. You could make similar “lists” comparing Pocatello and Vegas. Bottom line is he wanted to come to ISU based on his own values and the Bengals are happy to have him.

FYI, AFA is in Colorado Springs, not Fort Collins (the home of Colorado State University).

otis campbell said:

You're also making the false assumption that the choice is/was between Pocatello and COLORADO SPRINGS. It never was a choice between the two. He chose a JC, for whatever reason. Maybe Air Force was his only FBS offer, and he thought JC ball would be a way to get more offers. Happens all the time. I found stories online about his signing ceremony at his high school, along with other athletes. Air Force never has a release on signing day, because of the appointment process. I hope Air Force's loss is our gain! Welcome Mr. McFarland!

Hey, I like Missoula. I like Bozeman. I even like Ogden and 25th Street! :beer:

I never understand why fans from other schools come onto another school's board with the sole purpose of posting multiple times disparaging players, the school, the coaches, the community, and whatever else. We get it, you're loyal to your school. You should be.

Merry Christmas.

Latest posts

Back