• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Soccer

pdxfan

We could use someone in here who knows something about soccer, I follow it, but as an amatuer. We beat North Dakota State today 1-0, after having beat Wyoming.We're 50/50 on the season now, which is pretty damned good this early on. UP gets full Oregonian coverage (of course, UP is 1st or 2nd in the nation ;-) )while we get nothing. So it goes. But at lest here it would help to have someone talking occasionally. Do we have exclusively football fans? Does "Go Vikes" mean "Go PSU football" only?

pdxfan said:
We could use someone in here who knows something about soccer, I follow it, but as an amatuer. We beat North Dakota State today 1-0, after having beat Wyoming.We're 50/50 on the season now, which is pretty damned good this early on. UP gets full Oregonian coverage (of course, UP is 1st or 2nd in the nation ;-) )while we get nothing. So it goes. But at lest here it would help to have someone talking occasionally. Do we have exclusively football fans? Does "Go Vikes" mean "Go PSU football" only?

I wouldn't say that 'Go Viks' is football exclusive. Men's and women's basketball gets quite a bit of a following on this board, volleyball, not as much, but it seems to be growing. That said, as the soccer program moves forward, I don't see why they can't build their own support base as well. Also, competing with UP for sports section space in the Big Oh is an uphill battle. UP has really earned their coverage over the years, and it's well deserved. Heck, kudos to anything local that can get space better than page six under the fold. It's UO, OSU, and limited space for anything else as far as college athletics go.

So one comment I do have about our soccer program is about the location for home games. I think that some of the disconnect is that the home games are so far away. PCC Rock Creek, and Tualatin Hills for the past few years. Could the Stott Community Field not be outfitted for temporary seating to use as a home venue? For me, that would seem to tie the program closer to the University.

Good idea, Marty! I suppose PGE is out because of expense, but Stott would be fine. Or is it big enough for soccer?

martymoose said:
pdxfan said:

I wouldn't say that 'Go Viks' is football exclusive. Men's and women's basketball gets quite a bit of a following on this board, volleyball, not as much, but it seems to be growing. That said, as the soccer program moves forward, I don't see why they can't build their own support base as well. Also, competing with UP for sports section space in the Big Oh is an uphill battle. UP has really earned their coverage over the years, and it's well deserved. Heck, kudos to anything local that can get space better than page six under the fold. It's UO, OSU, and limited space for anything else as far as college athletics go.

So one comment I do have about our soccer program is about the location for home games. I think that some of the disconnect is that the home games are so far away. PCC Rock Creek, and Tualatin Hills for the past few years. Could the Stott Community Field not be outfitted for temporary seating to use as a home venue? For me, that would seem to tie the program closer to the University.

This last comment is right on. Having to play off-site is one thing, but not even having that be the same location from game to game or season to season is another.

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE LADY VIKS!!!!!

Portland State Claims 2009 Big Sky Championship

http://www.goviks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19300&ATCLID=204824541

PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland State women's soccer team was crowned the Big Sky regular season champion after Northern Colorado upset Northern Arizona, 4-0, in Greeley, Colo. It is the Vikings second Big Sky Championship since joining the conference in 1997. The Viks will now host the Big Sky Championship Nov. 6 and 8.

The tournament semifinals will begin Nov. 6 at 1:30 p.m., with seed No. 3 versus seed No. 2 and the second semifinal will begin at 4 p.m., with the No. 4 team versus the host Vikings. After a day of rest Saturday, the winner of both matches will square off for a automatic berth for the NCAA Tournament at 11 a.m. All matches will be played at PCC - Rock Creek.

The Vikings first conference championship was in 2004, when the Vikings finished with a 4-1-1 record in the Big Sky.

For directions to the PCC - Rock Creek campus, visit the women's soccer page and click directions at GoViks.com

forestgreen said:
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE LADY VIKS!!!!!

Portland State Claims 2009 Big Sky Championship

http://www.goviks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19300&ATCLID=204824541

PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland State women's soccer team was crowned the Big Sky regular season champion after Northern Colorado upset Northern Arizona, 4-0, in Greeley, Colo. It is the Vikings second Big Sky Championship since joining the conference in 1997. The Viks will now host the Big Sky Championship Nov. 6 and 8.

The tournament semifinals will begin Nov. 6 at 1:30 p.m., with seed No. 3 versus seed No. 2 and the second semifinal will begin at 4 p.m., with the No. 4 team versus the host Vikings. After a day of rest Saturday, the winner of both matches will square off for a automatic berth for the NCAA Tournament at 11 a.m. All matches will be played at PCC - Rock Creek.

The Vikings first conference championship was in 2004, when the Vikings finished with a 4-1-1 record in the Big Sky.

For directions to the PCC - Rock Creek campus, visit the women's soccer page and click directions at GoViks.com

Great job! At this rate, every team besides football will be in the NCAA tournament.

2010 looks at least promising. We're 2-2 after taking Albany today 3-0. Frankie Ross got her first goal - we can expect more from her. But all of the team looks good. We're playing aggressively, lots of shots on goal. The back side of that - two yellow cards today. This is what we need, since the defense looks solid (we held UP to one goal!).

Latest posts

Back