• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Special Teams

Skippy

We've talked a lot about how ISU's defense has to improve if the Bengals are going to be a serious conference contender this year, but there's another aspect of the game where the Bengals really need to take a step up: special teams.

The Bengals got a decent performance out of kicker Zak Johnson last year, but he still missed too many kicks -- he was 52 of 55 on PATs, with three blocks; and 14-19 on field goals. Johnson ranked sixth in the league in FG percentage (74 percent), and 8th in PAT percentage (94.5 percent). There is really no reason to miss a PAT, and the fact that three were blocked indicates either a)Johnson didn't get under the ball enough; or b) there were breakdowns in protection.

The Bengals also gave up a lot of ground in the kick coverage game. Johnson averaged 59.2 yards per kickoff, compared to ISU's opponents' 61.7 yards, and Bengal opponents averaged 20.2 yards per return compared to ISU's 17.9. In the punting game, the Bengals' net punt ranked 9th in the conference at 35.1, compared to ISU's opponents' 40.5 yards.

A large part of ISU's struggles in special teams lay in the Bengals' total lack of a return game. Mike Kramer's obvious lack of confidence in the punt return team was especially apparent: the Bengals' C.J. Reyes, who was also ISU's punter, recorded 21 of the team's 34 TOTAL yards in punt returns. The Bengals were dead last with 3.8 yards per punt return, and they only attempted 9 returns in 12 games. ISU's kickoff return game was only slightly better, averaging 17.9 yards per return (10th in the league). Needless to say, the Bengals did not score a touchdown off either a kick-off or a punt return in 2014.

Both Reyes and Daniel McSurdy, their primary kick-off returner, are gone and here's hoping ISU can find someone Kramer has confidence in to field punts and kickoffs. A little explosiveness in the return game would be even better. ISU had no one ranked in the top 7 in punt returns or the top 10 in kickoff returns last season. Perhaps incoming freshman running back Ty Flanagan can bring something to the return game that's been missing for a long time.

The other key part of special teams will be finding a punter now that Sean Cheney, who was expected to do the punting for ISU this year, is out for the season with a torn ACL. Kramer had been planning to go back to traditional punting -- and away from the "roll punting" that Reyes specialized in -- with Cheney this season. Now he has to decide if he's going to use Tommy Jewell, a JUCO transfer quarterback/punter from Highland and go back to the roll punt; or bring in a new kicker and return to more traditional punting.

It's ironic, but the one thing Idaho State football has almost always done well through years of bad football is kick -- both punting and placekicking. Since Kramer has arrived, the special teams have been, well, less than special. Here's hoping an increase in talent and depth will lead to some improvements this season -- assuming the Bengals can find a serviceable punter.

At the Big Sky football meetings in Park City, I got to spend some quality time with Xavier Finney (what a fine young man!). I talked to X about special teams, particularly on kick returns. According to X, our main kickoff return guys this year should be Jakori Ford and Hagen Graves, with them possibly switching off for punt returns. I suspect Ford will make some things happen as long as he hangs on to the ball.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we have a full-time special teams coach. Success in special teams comes from either a full-time coach who only does this job or a coach that uses special teams as a weapon. Now with that said were in good shape if we can get deeper or better kickoffs i.e not kick it out of bounds as much and reduce the number of times we punt each game by two.

I would like to see some special teams that looks like a strategy was used to our benefit rather than duck and cover. I get that it makes more sense to spend practice time working on O and D, but special teams is all about discipline. It would make sense that ISU is getting better I all facets of the game which includes special teams. But with bottom of the BSC in special teams makes the whole team look undisciplined.

At least the return teams should be doing better.... I am a fan of using 4th down to get more yards, defenses typically over persue, or play too cautiously and all to often make the mistakes on 4th down.

To bounce this of of another guy... It may really come down to our play caller more than anything how much we use special teams.... It's never one piece that's broken i.e. Punter injury, that makes a whole special teams broken. Looking at the numbers, special teams is broken.

Roll punt or traditional ISU NEEDS some help at special teams....

oh... sorry you go right ahead bb .. post any little nonsense your heart desires..

not up for any challenge says its alright

well... at least one of the 3 who post under that name says so...

Bengal Believer. Do not listen to Spartan. He or she just wants to ruin threads. Back to the topic. I believe special teams will be good even though I am not a fan of roll punting. We will see what happens

All I was saying was that getting a great punter will only make us look better when we're back against a rope. Not a position we want to be in, ever!
And that maybe the only reliable position right now on special teams is long snapper. Which to be honest, can be taught to anybody.
AND if our offense wasn't so good last year the whole team would have looked way worse.

BUT things look to be improving, but don't get too caught up in "last year" thinking any aspect of the team will can be overlooked.

When a team is known for having great punters and that's it, that's pretty sorry.

Having reworded all that. I believe Kramer has a plan, and it's working...

sorry Eric Hollowell - your topic has been hijacked by Spartan who thinks he is the Riddler from the Batman series. As you know, the Riddler is obsessed with word games so unless you are Batman do not try to figure out his clues, puzzles, or riddles.

Here are some clues, puzzles, and riddles from Spartan on this topic.

"try not to drink before posting dude"..... that is a clue

"oh... sorry you go right ahead bb .. post any little nonsense your heart desires.." ..... that is a puzzle

"seriously dude - read what you posted outloud - not making any sense" .... that is a riddle

Latest posts

Back