• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Spring Roster

skippy57

The official spring roster is up on the ISU web site. A couple of interesting notes:

--Quincy Griffin is still listed on the active roster.

--Ben Laporta from Skyline High School in IF is indeed on the roster at RB

--There are 12 playes listed at DB and 17 at LB

--There are 11 DL listed.

Should be plenty of competition on the defensive side of the football.

Quincy Griffin is no longer listed on the official spring roster, so apparently there has been a change in status there recently.

I was at practice today and watched a bit of it and they were intense and the emotins were high. I was impressed with #12 and #14 Qb's. Don't know who they were but very impressed with them. Not taking anything from Hill either. Hill looked sharper and quicker too but 12 and 14 stood oout to me the most. The running back drills were intense and they were beating the hell out of one another which it should be. I think some times we have been too easy in the past with practices. It is a tough sport so you must practice tough. Not bad for spring ball. they looked good.

:evil: 12 is Preston Kelley, 14 is Kyle Blum, both looked good in the passing drills today. Yesterday Hill stood out over everyone. LaPorta looked good in the three on three running drills breaking tackles on a couple of occasions. Shedd has really improved at Offensive tackle, put on about 30 lbs in muscle, foot work is much better. Preston Kelley has improved more than anyone on the team, does not even look like the same kid from last year. Gibson is stud, great speed, a really good cover linebacker. Both Klovas and Smith are healed from their injuries last year, Smith is just dominating. Rutton, Tuua, and Allen have been moved to Defensive End, Allen looks like it is his natual position, hope he can gain more weight. I'll try and add to this after tomorrow.

:mrgreen:Position-by-Position break down:

QB Position: Evan Mozzochi, Kyle Blum, Preston Kelly, Russel Hill. Russel Hill is # 1 going into spring, for anyone to take this spot they will have to out play him. There is no controversy at this point. Kyle Blum is looking good as he did last year in passing drills, his problem last year was getting it done when it counted. Preston Kelley is the most improved of all the QB’s, a little mechanical in is delivery but looking very good in the passing drills. Evan Mozzochi has improved the least of any of the QB’s; he still has some accuracy issues he needs to work on.

Running Back: Clint Knickrehm, Ben Laporta, Kenyon Blue, Joe Strayhand, Ken Cornist, Jesse Hofhine. Clint Knickrelm is sitting the spring out with an injury. Ken Cornist is getting the majority of the carries, as usual looks good with the goal line in sight, and when he can get to the corner. Kenyon Blue needs to work on his running, runs a little high right now, which sets him up for big hits. Joe Strayhand is re-learning the position, getting reps along with the other new kid. Jessie Hofhine looks much as he did last year, makes few mistakes but nothing special. Ben LaPorta has shown some flashes of being a very good, tough to tackle and quick as a cat.

Wide Receivers: Jaron Taylor, Eddie Thompson, JD Ponciano, Angelo Magee, Isaiah Burel, Edsel Logan, Ryan Anchetta-Major, Kelvin Krosch
Only six of the Wide Receivers are participating in spring. Jaron Taylor is looking like he has taken another step in improvement, as has Edsel Logan. Angelo Magee is a star in the making with great size and speed. Isaiah Burel has taken another step up as did all the young wide outs. Kelvin Krosch shows good hands as well being the tallest wide receiver, have not seen much ran that would take advantage of his height. Ryan Anchetta-Major is in the learning curve, learning to get off press coverage’s. Has good hands and will only get better.

Tightends: J.J. Shawver, Trevor Messersmith, Tyler Hjelseth, Brad Walker. J.J. Shawver is playing at both tightend and fullback as is Trevor Messersmith. Tyler Hjelseth is bigger and looks ready to contribute more this year. Trevor Messersmith is # 1 right now. Brad Walker is learning the plays and his position requirements with our team, will know more in a couple of weeks on where he is. Walker has a streak of mean in him.

Offensive line: Aaron Klovas, Nick Tranmer, Adam Chadwick, Lance Cartwright, Evan Dietrich-Smith, Jarret Gant, Ryan Henry, Jesse Jones, Bryce Metcalf, Brad Shedd. Aaron Klovas, Lance Cartwright, Evan Dietrich-Smith, and Bryce Metcalf are the probable starters. Ryan Henry, Jarret Gant, and Bryce Metcalf have all taken snaps at center. Metcalf has been the most consistent, both Henry and Gant have had some problems with the QB exchange. This I am sure will correct its self as the player become more familiar with each other. Brad Shedd has made great strides in becoming stronger and quicker, spring workouts have really helped him. Sorry to say I have not watched Jessie Jones, I will make a point of doing so the next time I go to a practice.

Defensive Backs: D.J. Clark, Chris Holmsely, Jason Wright, Amir Owens, Kelvin Miller, Keith Goins, Ryan Head, Rashaad Richards, Dustin Tew, Daryl Simons, Sean Mitchell. I am not going to try to break each player down, as I have not had a chance to evaluate each kid. Mainly because I am still trying to figure out who is who. D.J. is the only one I see who has a secured position. The JC kids are all still thinking although I have seen some good hits from a couple. I assume Sean Mitchell is the kid wearing 3; again, many of these kids are still thinking rather than reacting. One observation, Daryl Simons needs to put more time in getting stronger, bigger receivers push him around, Laporta ran through his tackles on a couple of plays during 3 on 3 drills. Rashad Richards is sitting out healing his knee. If you notice James Francis is not on the list, seems he has an attitude problem, got him booted off the team.

Linebackers: Jeremy Gibson, Daniel Urias, Nic Edgson, Brad Rife, Spencer Pulliam, J.T. Albers, Travis Anderson, Kyle Zamberlin, Steven Banks, Phillip Arias, Ryan Phipps. Brad Rife and Ryan Phipps seem to have changed positions, which make sense. Phipps will move outside and Rife will go to MLB. The new JC players and some of last year’s players are contesting the other OLB spot. Phillip Arias was the one I saw going with the first team, but the others all played with the first team at times. Jeff Tuua, Scott Allen, and Sean Rutten have all moved to Defensive End. Jeremy Gibson is a tremendous athlete but will have to learn how to shed blockers if he is to be successful. As with Gibson, Urias is learning to play the position full time rather just on blitz situations.

Defensive Line: Brian Livesay, Mike Jablonsky, Joseph Nailer, David Tyler, Scott Milbourn, Jon Tuua, Lionel Vaiomounga, Josh Crittenden, Demetrius Amos, Jason Jones, Jeff Tuua, Sean Rutton, and Scott Allen. Livesay is sitting the spring out but will most likely be one of the starters in the fall. Right now Jablonsky and John Tuua are playing the other end. Amos is one tackle with the other spot contested for by Jones, Milbourne, and Tyler. Still believe we need a dominate pass rusher; hopefully we will get someone this summer. Cody Clark quit the team to become a firefighter in his hometown. As mentioned Quincy Griffin is not on the roster anymore, he had his scholarship pulled. The pot charge as well as other issues was his undoing. I will be able to tell more after a couple of weeks. Melbourne and Tyler have both put on size, should contribute this year. Time will tell with Nailer and the other young Defensive Ends.
:P

Nice update Blackfoot.
Rumor has it that every practice so far has been pretty physical especially with the pads on.
Seems competetion has elevated a few notches from the past.
I think this is a good thing and will drive our players to be even better.
Those that will have had their name listed at the #1 spot come the end of April, will have earned it no doubt.

GO BENGALS!!

Latest posts

Back