• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

State Journal-Zamberlin

bengalharley

Don't you think its a little strange, no stories from the Journal concerning Z? With the bottom falling out of the program, the athletic Department struggling and nothing. No investigative reporting, they just seem to print what is handed to them from the Administration. How sad that not even our local paper can ask a few questions. I guess that why the circulation of the Journal keeps going down down down.... :?

I wonder that myself. But who would they ask, the AD, the SID, the players? What response would they get, The same old tired line that the program wants to put out. Don't rock the boat. Even though there is a 3000 lb gorilla in the middle of Holt Arena. :o

The short answer--they fear being 'cut off' from access to the program, especially when the are new to the ISJ. Some can remain neutral and others have a difficult time because they don't want to be the new guy that nobody trusts. It is really hard to be tough/negative about ISU in the Pocatello community. Next, it is hard to get both sides of the story. Even if they get good solid leads from places like the Den--an article can't be written based off of information from anonymous folks. Heater is struggling now, but Angel is neutral enough to takes things on.

From what I have been told coaches talk about what is posted on here all the time. There are things being posted on here before they even break from staff meetings. The coaches really think that the football office is bugged because this community is usually just a step ahead, when in reality they are usually just a step or two behind. I have been told that the coaches live on this thing. In fact, they read the board with parents and players present, second guessing and poking fun at what is said. Folks in the athletic department constantly try to get Zamberlin away from his computer because he gets so upset from reading it all day. Tingey has even went so far as to tell employees of the athletic department that they aren't allowed to debate anything anymore (not even the sports information office) because they fear that folks are leaking information.

Guess what? They are right. When you try to control information, things are bound to backfire. The ISJ will eventually come around on this, but it will probably be after Zamberlin is fired.

Yet Zamberlin advises his players to avoid the papers and blogs. Don't believe me? Cue up the archives from the coaches show and the article in the Idaho State Journal.

bengalcub said:
From what I have been told coaches talk about what is posted on here all the time. There are things being posted on here before they even break from staff meetings. The coaches really think that the football office is bugged because this community is usually just a step ahead, when in reality they are usually just a step or two behind. I have been told that the coaches live on this thing. In fact, they read the board with parents and players present, second guessing and poking fun at what is said. Folks in the athletic department constantly try to get Zamberlin away from his computer because he gets so upset from reading it all day. Tingey has even went so far as to tell employees of the athletic department that they aren't allowed to debate anything anymore (not even the sports information office) because they fear that folks are leaking information.

Well, if what you say is true... perhaps if more time was spent on the job of coaching ISU football, less time (and interest) would need to be dedicated to reading message boards... unless our opponents routinely place their gameplan on our board for our approval...

They have got some 'extra time' on their hands with reduced practice time.

I've maintained for the longest time that the coaches and administration should stay away from this board. Fans need a place to vent.

If one of the university's most loyal fans can come out openly and ask for the removal of the coaches, whether by resignation (the honorable thing to do) or by firing (the inevitable), and likely face some form of retribution in the future (I KNOW somebody is going to want my head on a platter), I don't think the Journal should have a hard time with this. Their inaction and their silence only reinforces my opinion of writers and journalists:

They are NOT looking out for free speech and the interests of integrity. They are looking out for their own interests. That cock and bull story I hear about freedom and ethics is crap.

I'm calling you out, ISJ.

bengalcub said:
They have got some 'extra time' on their hands with reduced practice time.

I've maintained for the longest time that the coaches and administration should stay away from this board. Fans need a place to vent.

Oh absolutely true... that is why they are fan forums. As long as there are fans, there will be talk of what they would do differently if they were in charge. If you want to be involved in college sports as a coach or admin, better know that... especially if you are going to be losing 95% of your games.

bengalcub said:
From what I have been told coaches talk about what is posted on here all the time... they read the board with parents and players present, second guessing and poking fun at what is said. Folks in the athletic department constantly try to get Zamberlin away from his computer because he gets so upset from reading it all day.

Zamberlin shouldn't have to read this board to know he needs to win games to keep fans happy. Fans of every school in the country will call for a coaches head if they don't win. He should stop reading this board, it has to be distracting. He needs to keep his focus on doing the best he can while he still has the chance. Maybe he'll pull out a few upset wins (Sac, Weber, MSU are all at home) and still have a job next year.

Maybe they should read the boards more. To go further, maybe we should start posting plays and formations that they should put in. Z is grasping/clutching at the air for something. Look at how he is manipulating the players. Jerking them around from position to position. One day he reads something on here (ie. putting T.Moore at RB), the next day in practice WHAM.... new RB T.Moore. This staff seriously reads and acts because of the stuff that is said here. I feel sorry for coach Earley. He has to be regretting signing on here. Comes in, things are good in the spring, and at the first sign and posting of how the offense is struggling.... all the sudden we start seeing player after player moving over from the defense to save the day. T.Moore has some great runs... He is now playing a different position. Zamberphony is a joke. He reads and acts according to what people here and in public say. He talks about being a man yet acts like a yellow-belly. He is calling the shots on offense and defense, just like he did last year. Why do you think Jensen lost a crazy ton of weight from the stress and decided to forego a D1 coaching job to coach HS ball? Because when it gets a little tight... Z panics!! Great example there COACH!

Super you're the man, I know I've made some digs at ya, but you have a great heart man. I have found it interesting that there is only the bare minimum coming out of the Ath. Dept. about football as well. maybe they are keeping mum because of what is about to transpire, I guess that and what cub said about the paranoia.

Please, let me know if I am understanding this correctly.

We currently don't like the Idaho State Journal, because they are running too many "warm fuzzy" stories which actually promote, encourage, and provide exposure to Idaho State University athletics.

Previously, we didn't like the Idaho State Journal, especially when Slater was editor, because it ran too many negative - but true - stories about Idaho State University athletics which put it in a bad light.

It's funny, the Journal down here is frowned upon by folks because they don't post enough warm and fuzzy stories, yet one of the websites in frowned upon for being too warm and fuzzy. I haven't posted to the message boards here, although I do monitor them to see what the fans are saying, and I can attest that at the COSIDA convention it is recommended that someone in an institution do so.

While yes the Den is a message board, it is also a news source...consider that when players quit that ends up getting broken here. It's something that most people don't think about, but there is a news component, even if it's rumorish in nature.

I don't want coaches reading message boards, and they don't here...but the media does, and just this week a message board post resulted in a news situation that my office had to address, which we did (basically dealing with something on a student-athlete's facebook account that he didn't post).

I agree that the fans (which now includes me) should have a place to vent, which is what happens here, there, and everywhere. I'm finding it easy to not post here because I don't need to. However, we actually credential the owners of the sites here, so there is some news responsibility as well.

As for the warm fuzzy stuff, all that you can ask of the paper is that they present both sides. New Mexico is unfortunately in the #1 position of ESPN's bottom 10, which is not good, but as long as folks are fair in their questioning, that's all you can ask.

I would agree the Journal is going easy, which is thankful if you are gainfully employed by Idaho State. I know Jeff is thankful.

Frank

isusid said:
It's funny, the Journal down here is frowned upon by folks because they don't post enough warm and fuzzy stories, yet one of the websites in frowned upon for being too warm and fuzzy. I haven't posted to the message boards here, although I do monitor them to see what the fans are saying, and I can attest that at the COSIDA convention it is recommended that someone in an institution do so.

While yes the Den is a message board, it is also a news source...consider that when players quit that ends up getting broken here. It's something that most people don't think about, but there is a news component, even if it's rumorish in nature.

I don't want coaches reading message boards, and they don't here...but the media does, and just this week a message board post resulted in a news situation that my office had to address, which we did (basically dealing with something on a student-athlete's facebook account that he didn't post).

I agree that the fans (which now includes me) should have a place to vent, which is what happens here, there, and everywhere. I'm finding it easy to not post here because I don't need to. However, we actually credential the owners of the sites here, so there is some news responsibility as well.

As for the warm fuzzy stuff, all that you can ask of the paper is that they present both sides. New Mexico is unfortunately in the #1 position of ESPN's bottom 10, which is not good, but as long as folks are fair in their questioning, that's all you can ask.

I would agree the Journal is going easy, which is thankful if you are gainfully employed by Idaho State. I know Jeff is thankful.

Frank

Of course he is thankful that we have a newspaper that doesn't ask questions. What person wouldn't want that? I am sure most Politicians and others in a public office or job would love to have to never worry about the local paper looking into things. And you are right, it would be nice to have both sides of the Story, but, If the local paper never asks any questions how do we ever get the information? Hmmmmmmmmmmm very interesting. Oh I know, a press release from the Administration should do it and then just reprint it to the community. :lol:

Harley I have been critical of the Journal in the past for the opposite reasons. In my memory, the Journals sports writers spent more time looking at the police log than they did getting to know the teams. We have had the privilege lately of have sports writers who actually introduced the public to the players making them into people rather than names on a roster. The piece on the players supporting Zamberlin, while offensive to us who think he should be fired, is giving both sides of a story rather than just the one that reflects our feelings. One of the reasons I have maintained a relationship with the football team over the years is because of this feeling of attachment to the players. It is easier to watch a losing effort when you are actually cheering on people you know. Many of the people who played on my softball team over the years were players who stayed in the area. Mitch Oparnico and his brother Ted, Bruce Givens, Chris Waitley, Ryan Hall are just a few of the people I have the honor of knowing from the football program. In knowing these players I was also able to get to know players from other sports who these players associated with. What bothers me the most concerning Zamberlin is I think he will throw someone under the bus if he thinks it benefits him. Look what he did to Jensen and Havens; in hindsight maybe the problem last year had less to do with them than the head coach who cannot represent the team as a whole, just the defense. The redshirts years that are being burned by players in some cases are only playing a couple of plays a game at positions that almost any of the older kids could have played. To be honest outside of Zamberlin's inner circle, I believe he would not hesitate to do something that could be damaging to some of the players on his team. As an example look at the QB position, who would the rest of us have liked being in that cluster? No wonder the offense has any rhythm. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence to Zamberlin; unfortunately he has never realized it’s just the same grass as is on his side of the fence.

I, for one, find Jay Heater's articles to be very refreshing. It seems much of the news media is trending toward Enquirer-esque type reporting where drama and shock-value trump substance. I'm glad Jay doesn't equate news with gossip, and doesn't limit his journalism to exposes. Sure, he should report negative and controversial topics involving ISU athletics, but there are at least as many newsworthy stories that don't fit that bill.

I enjoy Jay's writing and find his articles very interesting for the most part. And, I think his writing does far more to generate interest in the Bengals and put butts in seats than the writing of some prior sports editors . So, Jay, if you're reading this, keep up the good work!

Zamberlin preaches, “No Excuses…No Explanations” to his players and yet comes up with excuse after excuse when confronted by the media. The blame for ISU's shortcomings can't be entirely put on him, but his leadership decisions have certainly put a huge target on himself.

The kids believe that he is one of the better position coaches out there. He is a good teacher and improves his LB's technique on the field as any great coach would. When AJ says he “respects his coach” and “he is the reason he is better”, he isn't lying. Many believe that Zamberlin’s problem is the fact that he chose his friends to be his assistants rather than finding assistant coaches the same caliber or better.

Coach Strandley may be solid when it comes to football theory, but his old school way of doing things don't seem to work with 21st century football. Earley knows his stuff, however, kids think that he needs to be less predictable and he has to adjust to what HE HAS instead of making the offense adapt to his game plan. Coach Clark seems to be quite the motivator as well. The offensive line looked like they finally came to life until doomed by injuries. Everyone else isn't cutting the mustard. Zamberlin’s staff of friends doesn’t have the wherewithal to develop these players into their full potential. Sure, ISU might get lucky and recruit a kid like Tavoy Moore, but he isn't going to improve one bit from the day he first walks in that door because of his position coach.

Zamberlin should take full responsibility for his 6-34 record and his piss poor retention of players during his coaching tenure here at ISU. He should have cleaned shop after his first single win season, but his stubbornness to fire his friends has killed his chance to be successful.

The administration isn’t of much help either. They are unprofessional and so uncoordinated it's not even funny. Almost every time a player is ineligible, it's because of an athletic councilor’s mistake.

These are the items that some Journal writer's are too timid to tackle.

Latest posts

Back