• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Still waiting for women signings

Skippy

I know the women were expecting a couple of late signings this spring, and I'm also hearing about some roster churn. Stay tuned.

It looks like 2 signed today, Nuria Barrientos and Paula Barghout Gili...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/HeartofaBengal/status/854108505044799488[/tweet]

Skippy said:
I know the women were expecting a couple of late signings this spring, and I'm also hearing about some roster churn. Stay tuned.

Are there going to be some girls leaving the team?

Skippy said:
shift2323 said:
Skippy said:

Are there going to be some girls leaving the team?
That's my understanding.

I really hope that's not true. If so I wish the ladies that move on nothing but the best.

Official release issued today: Barrientios is a 5-11 guard and Gili a 6-1 F. They need reinforcements, especially upfront.

Here is the latest ISU women's bb signing:
http://www.isubengals.com/news/2017/7/20/amanda-betlere-set-to-join-isu-womens-basketball-program.aspx

Biggest unexpected loss was decision by Lindsey Brown not to return for a fifth year after graduating. The Bengals have plenty of guards but they are relatively thin and inexperienced up front. I have heard good things about Sai Tapasa's development this summer. She will have to be a big contributor this year.

Late addition who kind of " slipped through the cracks." Moore averaged 17 points, 10 rebounds and 4.5 blocks a game as a 6-1 F.

Also hear that Blake Truman's wife, Tayvia Ah'Quin, is going to join the women's team. A 5-10 F, she averaged 6.5 points and 4.5 rebounds as a freshman at Snow.

The Register-Pajaronian has a story on Moore's signing...

Moore was arguably the most dominant basketball player in Santa Cruz County last season.

Playing her fourth varsity season as the Mustangs’ starting center, she led the team in points (17.8), rebounds (10.2), assists (2.9), steals (4.6) and blocks (4.4) per game, while powering M.V.C. to its seventh straight Central Coast Section playoff berth.

She set the school’s single-game record for points (33) and blocks (12) this season, while also earning Monterey Bay League Gabilan division co-Most Valuable Player honors for the second straight year.

Read more: Register-Pajaronian: M.V.C.'s Moore Signs with Idaho State

shift2323 said:
So does this make it 8 kids that have left the program in the last 2 years?

Here is the complete list to answer your question about the players who have left the past two seasons:

* Isabel Vara de Ray - Transferred to a D-II school outside of Albany, N.Y.
* Bianca Thacker - Transferred to a JUCO in Midland, Texas.
* Freya Newton - Graduated, still in Poky at ISU working on master's degree.
* Brittany Kochenderfer - Transferred to a D-III school near Salem, Oregon.
* Lindsay Brown - Graduated. Decided to forgo her remaining year of eligibility. Will be working for GEICO in San Diego.
* Jenna Morch - Graduated. Decided to forgo her two remaining years of eligibility. Has been accepted into the ISU physical therapy school.
* Apiphany Woods - Graduated. Now in the U.S. Air Force.
* Anna Lee Policicchio - Graduated. Has been accepted into medical school in Canada.
* Megan Hochstein - Had to retire from playing due to post concussion syndrome. Entering her final year in the nursing program at ISU.
* Tressa Lyman - Graduated. Will be teaching and coaching at a Pocatello middle school.
* Juliet Jones - Transferred to Division II Cal-State San Marcos, near her home in San Diego.
* April Dawson - Graduated. Will play as a graduate transfer at Division II Cal-State San Marcos.
* Stephanie Somers - Transferred to Division II Cal-State San Marcos.

For better or worse, transfers are the new reality in both men's and women's basketball.

In 2016 according to ESPN there were 633 men's transfers. Given the most recent data available from the NCAA, 2014-15 ended with nearly a tenth of women’s college basketball players transferring from four-year colleges and 8.4 percent coming in from two-year colleges. These rates are comparable to men’s college basketball, with four-year and two-year college transfer rates of 14.1 and 15 percent. respectively, for the season.

PBP said:
shift2323 said:
So does this make it 8 kids that have left the program in the last 2 years?

Here is the complete list to answer your question about the players who have left the past two seasons:

* Isabel Vara de Ray - Transferred to a D-II school outside of Albany, N.Y.
* Bianca Thacker - Transferred to a JUCO in Midland, Texas.
* Freya Newton - Graduated, still in Poky at ISU working on master's degree.
* Brittany Kochenderfer - Transferred to a D-III school near Salem, Oregon.
* Lindsay Brown - Graduated. Decided to forgo her remaining year of eligibility. Will be working for GEICO in San Diego.
* Jenna Morch - Graduated. Decided to forgo her two remaining years of eligibility. Has been accepted into the ISU physical therapy school.
* Apiphany Woods - Graduated. Now in the U.S. Air Force.
* Anna Lee Policicchio - Graduated. Has been accepted into medical school in Canada.
* Megan Hochstein - Had to retire from playing due to post concussion syndrome. Entering her final year in the nursing program at ISU.
* Tressa Lyman - Graduated. Will be teaching and coaching at a Pocatello middle school.
* Juliet Jones - Transferred to Division II Cal-State San Marcos, near her home in San Diego.
* April Dawson - Graduated. Will play as a graduate transfer at Division II Cal-State San Marcos.
* Stephanie Somers - Transferred to Division II Cal-State San Marcos.

For better or worse, transfers are the new reality in both men's and women's basketball.

In 2016 according to ESPN there were 633 men's transfers. Given the most recent data available from the NCAA, 2014-15 ended with nearly a tenth of women’s college basketball players transferring from four-year colleges and 8.4 percent coming in from two-year colleges. These rates are comparable to men’s college basketball, with four-year and two-year college transfer rates of 14.1 and 15 percent. respectively, for the season.

Thanks for the info. The paper said it didn't know where Isabel Vara de Ray was going, guess you have all the info :-). As for the players that graduated (which is great) I don't count those as leaving the program. You are 100% correct transfer rates are up by a lot. To me when your son are daughter is looking to play college ball they need to be honest with themselves is this for me and is it the right fit.

SLCBengal said:
A 2018 commitment...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/montanaoltrogge/status/896498611944423424[/tweet]

6-1 F from Phoenix, averaged 15 points and 5 rebounds a game last year. Unfortunate first name, maybe we can get her to change it. -:)

Latest posts

Back