• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Strangeness in Orem

Skippy

Idaho State lost to Utah Valley 82-73 in Orem last night, which I guess is not a shock, given ISU's struggles on the road over the years. But the weird part was ISU's effort at the free throw last night -- in particular Ethan Telfair's. ET, who shot 87 percent from the foul line on 236 attempts last season, was a miserable 5 of 13 (38 percent) last night. That contributed to a 12 for 27 performance (44 percent) as a team and that sealed the Bengals' fate.

Other noteworthy items:
--Hayes Garrity continues to battle balky knees and missed his second straight game. Garrity has a history of knee issues and you start to wonder how much of a contribution he'll be able to make.
--we continue to watch the evolution of Novak Topalovic, who battled 6-11 BYU transfer Isaac Neilson to a standoff. Topalovic had his first career double-double with 15 points and 16 rebounds. He still needs to finish more efficiently (he was 7 of 16 from the field, 1of 4 from the foul line), and he needs to learn to be more of a rim protector (no blocked shots). But for somebody who averaged a point a game as a senior in high school, his growth has been remarkable.
--Robert Jones had an impressive debut against New Mexico but he was back on the JUCO merry-go-round last night. He played only 15 minutes, committed three fouls and didn't score. Jones can play, but consistency remains elusive.
--Gary Chivichyan appears to be in the doghouse, barely seeing the floor last night. He was a starter much of last season.
--Brandon Boyd's suspension is over and he played 23 minutes off the bench last night. Boyd was a bit rusty, hitting just 2 of 10 from the field, 1 of 5 from 3.
--Freshman Balint Mocsan, who had a nice debut against New Mexico, was rewarded with a start last night, but struggled, going 0 for 3 from three and scoring just two points in 15 minutes.
--Jared Stutzman from Idaho Falls, who the Bengals pursued, had a nice game for UVU, hitting 4 of 5 shots, including 3 for 3 from 3 for 11 points. Stutzman, who signed with San Francisco out of high school, was one of four, four-year transfers who combined for 54 points for the Wolverines last night.

PS--the Big Sky is currently 1-18 vs D-1 opponents so far, the only win being MSU's 84-83 victory over Louisiana-Lafayette.

Wing play struggled, they hit 4 3pt fg, the whole game? One of their strengths last year, along with free throw percentage.

Strong words used for some players, rob might be up and down , until he fully transitions,
Gary started the first game against New Mexico before the EJECTION, which probably would not happen if it wasn't on NM home court.

Read on Twitter Gary and Rob were suspended for the first half. So "dog house" 'might be to early to soon.

This team needs good wing play to be successful , Gary did well last year, I expect him to fix wtv issue he had and help isu get wins on the court. Rob will be fine as previously stated. Garrity, when you got bad knees, you just got bad knees, no way around it.Moscan, the airball on the free throw line during a crucial part of the game should tell you, as a freeshman, he's not ready just yet, boyd, good talent but shot 2/10.. ET won't shoot that terribly from the line, novak much improved,needs to learn how to pass out the block, but he has been playing great.

I expect to move forward only. Bad game vs uvu, but I expect wins in near future.

Thatnative said:
Wing play struggled, they hit 4 3pt fg, the whole game? One of their strengths last year, along with free throw percentage.

Strong words used for some players, rob might be up and down , until he fully transitions,
Gary started the first game against New Mexico before the EJECTION, which probably would not happen if it wasn't on NM home court.

Read on Twitter Gary and Rob were suspended for the first half. So "dog house" 'might be to early to soon.

This team needs good wing play to be successful , Gary did well last year, I expect him to fix wtv issue he had and help isu get wins on the court. Rob will be fine as previously stated. Garrity, when you got bad knees, you just got bad knees, no way around it.Moscan, the airball on the free throw line during a crucial part of the game should tell you, as a freeshman, he's not ready just yet, boyd, good talent but shot 2/10.. ET won't shoot that terribly from the line, novak much improved,needs to learn how to pass out the block, but he has been playing great.

I expect to move forward only. Bad game vs uvu, but I expect wins in near future.
Welcome aboard, Native, it's good to see some interest on the basketball board. I think this year's team is going to be fun to watch, but they have some work to do. Stay in touch.

Skippy said:
PS--the Big Sky is currently 1-18 vs D-1 opponents so far, the only win being MSU's 84-83 victory over Louisiana-Lafayette.

Only 2 of the 18 were home games, I believe, so this isn't that shocking. The big negative was NAU going 0-3 in Santa Clara's tournament.

mvem said:
Skippy said:

Only 2 of the 18 were home games, I believe, so this isn't that shocking. The big negative was NAU going 0-3 in Santa Clara's tournament.
1 and 20 after last night. The fact that Big Sky teams have only been able to get two home games with D-1 teams out of 21 so far also speaks to a fundamental problem.

Thank you guys! I write for a sports journal company. Follow a lot of mid major and low major d1. Teams. I'm quite familiar with this isu team and I think they can do a lot better then what they did last game. I believe I am appointed to follow a few more games. You will see a lot of me on many big sky forums,WAC, and etc. I think isu has good talent, I expect it to show in the next few games.

Will follow!

Also,please forgive any spelling , grammatical errors. Normally I am on these forums while traveling and on smart phone. I don't normally re read or revise to much haha.

Skippy said:
mvem said:
Skippy said:

1 and 20 after last night. The fact that Big Sky teams have only been able to get two home games with D-1 teams out of 21 so far also speaks to a fundamental problem.

The road drought is over as Idaho upset Arkansas-Little Rock in Little Rock. UALR won 30 games last year including an NCAA Tournament one, so that's a big victory.

mvem said:
Skippy said:
mvem said:
Skippy said:

The road drought is over as Idaho upset Arkansas-Little Rock in Little Rock. UALR won 30 games last year including an NCAA Tournament one, so that's a big victory.
Good win for the Vandals. ISU at Utah State tomorrow night, should be a good test.

Latest posts

Back