• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Sunday's Games Online

SLCBengal

It appears both games today are streaming online. I'm assuming both are free...

Women's game vs. Washington State @ 2:00 p.m. MT:

http://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2014/11/16/idaho-state-washington-state" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Men's game vs. Denver University @ 4:00 p.m. MT:

http://www.denverpioneers.com/collegesportslive/?media=470855" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Watching this Denver game and wondering what the offensive game plan is?
No motion (lots of standing around)
No baseline runner
No ball screens
No pick and roll
No high low
No movement whatsoever!
TERRIBLE!!!!

I agree. The only thing they seem to be doing is one on one basketball with players that don't have one on one skills.

ISU cannot score.

I will say this all year and I am sure it will piss some folks off. This is a guard league, if you cannot hit the three and cannot defend the three, you cannot be successful. Until that starts to happen consistently, ISU will struggle. They might be able to compete by doing one or the other but they cannot compete not doing either.

Bengals lose 54-38. It could be a long, cold winter in Holt Arena.

While the women lose 84-34 at Wazzu.

It could be a loooooooooooooooooooong season for both teams.

PBP or Skippy, did ISU recruit either of the two local Pocatello girls who signed LOI's with other Big Sky schools this week? It's one thing when a local players signs with a Pac-12 or MWC team, it's another when they sign with other Big Sky schools.

Sas:

The Journal reported that the Highland girl was considering ISU. I don't exactly know for sure about Hennie at Century (who I understand broke her hand recently). Seton is pretty well stocked on the back line for the next few years. Hennie's a good player but would she be willing to wait a few years before she can play?

Just something to consider when talking about local kids. It takes two to tango. Bill and Seton can offer all the local talent they wish but those kids have to say 'yes.' Kids today, many of them, want to get away from home and start experiencing life on their own, that's a factor in all this.

And something else Brad pointed out to me when I was talking with him about this, and it has some merit to it in my opinion. ISU has struggled so much over the years particularly in football and men's basketball that kids from the area don't have a 'loyalty' factor to the school. They don't grow up dreaming about playing football or basketball at ISU like say kids in Kentucky do for men's basketball at UK or kids in Michigan do about playing for the Wolverines in football. By and large it's just not there.

One other factor that comes into play especially if a kid from the area is good enough to play at a slightly larger program and that's facilities. I know of one local player for example, that was being recruited in basketball and it came down to ISU and Utah State. She chose USU even though she preferred Seton from a coaching standpoint. So why did she go to Logan? The reason I was told was that the facilities were more impressive.

Like I said, lots of reasons why local kids decide to go elsewhere. Most of it is outside the control of Bill and Seton and their staffs.

PBP

Regarding the women's game today, that was a bizarre situation. With a team this young, I'm sure nerves were in play, no way around that. ISU actually had good shots, open looks, put back chances and they just weren't going in. Shots maybe were a little rushed because of the inexperience factor and who the Bengals were playing today. Now add in the fact that WSU was hitting some amazing shots, Calderia for example hit a turn around three in the game just to point out one example.

It happens, it's going to happen to a team with 12 underclassmen on it. But Seton kept his cool, they played better after they got their legs back under them.

It's a process fans and it's going to take a little time. But never put anything past Seton and his staff to get this team ready to go by conference play, that's when it counts.

For a team this young to make the Big Sky post season tournament for a 12th year in a row would be a successful season in my opinion.

Grace Kenyon is going to be a very good player, you can see that Morch and Hockstein are going to be good inside players, Seton has some talented recruits coming next year I've heard and they get Freya Newton on the court next season. There are going to be some long days early in the year but I've said that I think this team will be OK by January.

We'll see.

PBP

Latest posts

Back