• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

The "Amorrow Morgan" offense vs. The "Everyone" offense

Paul Grimm

Kellis hits the nail on the head in his column this morning:

http://www.pocatelloshops.com/new_blogs/kellis/?p=4462

O'Brien's postgame comments make it sound like there will be some changes to the starting lineup:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/51739332b052a0c5/

This team needs to SHARE THE BALL!

I'd rather Morgan have 18 points and share the wealth a lot more.

YOU CANNOT WIN VS. TOP COMPETITION WITH THIS SORT OF ONE-SIDED OFFENSE.

Screens! Pick and Rolls! Basic Motion! Pass to the bigs in the paint!

GO BENGALS!

I am sure the Morgan would like to share the wealth as well. Make no mistake--he had to take the team on his back--Carson, Stucki and Steijn again were no shows.

nobody else is stepping up so Row is doing what he has to do.. Meech is doing his thing as well...

ISU needs a LEADER ON THE COURT...someone to hold guys accountable not just the coaching staff.. Its still early and it has taken teams overtime to beat us.

I agree--no time to panic. ISU just lost the equivalent of two conference games on the road, both in overtime. This team is way better than last years team--I have confidence that in time it will show.

Monroe takes out the garbage--I love that about him. No flash--just a smart player.

the Refs were pretty good last night - I hope we can get good ones for our games at home, I am glad Coach is willing to make some changes and we are a better team with Bay at the point, but it wont matter who we start or who plays major minutes if we DO NOT begin setting screens and playing BIG in the post, I mean JAR YOUR TEETH screens, not the soft ass screens the defender just runs through.

here is what eats at me, we are not the Lakers, we don't have "Row" at all 5 spots we are more like the Jazz, we have good players at each position and a great one in Row, yet the expectations are everyone should be doing what “Row” is doing or they ARE NOT contributing, that’s lame.

If we set screens ANYWHERE on the floor it would open up opportunities for EVERY player we have and as a result EVERY player would be a threat. we are very good defensively, but we need help on offense, we need to run screens, high pick and roll, High Low, etc...that takes the pressure off the PG and allows for a mis match, a space for penetration, space for a shot or a double team that will allow players like Stucki, Row to "get off" within the offense, this is basic stuff, why aren’t we doing it?

"Row" is just taking what the coaches are giving him, I don’t blame him a bit, in fact I am thankful he is playing this well! I am sure he would like to "share" the load, but my guess is, because our team has not prepared well for the offense side of things, our huddles are simply the coaches telling the players to "get the ball to Row" that is not conducive to team play.

then you hear post game the tired old cliché of NO ONE ELSE STEPPED UP, that’s the cop out used by coaches, we NEED an offense otherwise we are simply an AAU team and whichever athlete out athletes the other will win.

because we substitute so often and in many cases for simple mistakes, BASKETBALL MISTAKES, players become frustrated and in some cases lose confidence, this may explain why several players who should be doing better are not, they are being yanked as PUNISHMENT, this hurts the team, there is NO reason to yank a kid after a mistake UNLESS you plan to discuss it with him immediately and put him back in the game, when the player makes the mistake HE KNOWS it! The players know it, the announcers know it, the fans know it, taking him out and making him sit HURTS the team and the player, watch good coaches immediately address their players should they yank him over a basketball mistake, its called coaching.

basketball is a game of rhythm, instincts, momentum and skill, you need all of those parts working to get the most out of your players, if you yank players for turnovers that came out of playing the game, that might not do anything but tell that player never to try that again, unless the coach illustrates a better approach to get the desired result, if you yank a player for missing 2 shots in a row, that will simply have him nervous about shooting, because he wants more than anything to stay on the floor and so he will not shoot some shots in fear of being yanked, that means he is NO threat on the floor, now the defense can play 5 on 4.

I believe this is happening now, in watching the players, they are not in rhythm at all, there are 2-3 players that are playing well together but we should be much further along than this, I am not throwing in the towel, I believe in these players, I am reserved on the staff, but have confidence "THE PAST DOES NOT EQUAL THE FUTURE" and therefore old dogs can learn new tricks.

Our bigs need to play at a much higher level, I remember RR post some time ago that said Busma tries to block too many shots, now I see others stating the same, I would agree, we are a D1 basketball team and have ZERO dunks by our bigs 4 games into the season, not that dunking is special, its still only 2 points, but MOST big guys around the country are VERY aggressive in the paint and want to shake the rim on their opponent, we haven’t seen that “yet” and we are constantly PUSHED out of position by smaller guys, last night Boise State bigs punched our guys in the mouth and we NEVER fought back!

I will say it again, the Hawaii game we DID NOT run a single screen on the perimeter until 17 minutes into the game, NO CHANCE we compete against good teams playing that way.

John Thompson the world class basketball coach and human being once stated during a debate on the state of the minority athlete in college athletics and beyond, in a Town Hall with Bill Clinton, and several other bright individuals, that kids need opportunity - one of the folks on the platform made the tired old statement about what we need is more education, these kids need MORE education, knowledge is power, Mr Thompson threw his towel over his shoulder and interrupted the individual to say; these kids have had 12-15 years of education, what they need is OPPORTUNITY! Knowledge without application is NOTHING and education without opportunity is the same.

my point is, these kids KNOW how to play, our coach has FORGOTTEN more about basketball than we will probably ever know, THEY BOTH HAVE BEEN EDUCATED, yet we have not provided opportunity to succeed, the staff needs to take this time right now and put in a basic offense scheme - these are college basketball players that have played their whole life, show them what you want, BASIC stuff, the Utah JAZZ built a franchise on BASIC basketball, we can do the same.

Take advantage of the “skill set” each player brings and TRUST them, allow them to RISK more because you trust that they are working in the teams best interest, if you don’t trust them you will get ROBOTS, players afraid to PLAY!

as I ate breakfast this morning getting caught up on scores and transactions around the country I came across a story about the turnaround taking place at schools everywhere in terms of better basketball, they were discussing the same old stuff that comes out every year about age limits, how long to stay in school the parity amongst teams and lastly the mid major high major comparisons, one team that jumped out at me was Arizona State and how coach Sendek had taken some players who by most experts account, were NOT PAC10 material (other than Pendergragh and Harden) and turned them into a top 25 team, it got me thinking of their players and our team, the similarities the skill sets they possess etc. yes they have a NBA bound player in Harden, but lets say he is our Amorrow their PG Glasser = Bay, Pendergragh = Stein, Kuksiks = Stucki, Boateng = Meech

These guys are NOT any better than our players – Harden could be singled out, but Row is incredibly gifted and playing VERY well – so why do they win? this article says its because they have a “system” that fits their players, Coach Sendek said they DESIGNED offense and defense schemes to get the most out of their players, after all the starting 5 for the Lakers weren’t walking through the door to replace who they had, they needed to work with what they had.

sure they have been at it longer, the first year wasn’t the best year, but the players are not asked to do more than their skill set suggests they can and the staff TRUSTS the players, we could learn a lot from their offense, our defense is every bit as good, but their offense moves the ball with screens, motion and bigs that COMPETE every possession, allowing for the BEST shot each time down, they like us are a ½ court team, they run when it makes sense but most of the time it’s a ½ court game for them, that’s what THEIR players give them, so they MAXIMIZE it

I believe we CAN have similar success, but we must start NOW! We do not need to play 9-12 players ever, we need to run 8-9 and make them PROFICIENT, lock them in the gym together for every hour of every day mastering a NEW offense, then trust them (it will not be easy, they will let us down, but 1 day in a game it will all come together and we will witness the introduction of one winning season after another) I know it can happen, WITH THIS GROUP!

enough from me, sorry to have rambled, way too much coffee

340x.jpg

Teaching Basketball Offensive Fundamentals

* Play smart! Understand and know what the coach is looking for.

* Play unselfishly. Always pass to the open man and don't force shots.

* Protect the basketball. Handle the ball with sureness. Avoid turnovers.

* Make the safe and easy pass. Don't force passes. Every pass does not have to lead to a score.

* Pass away from the defense. Always know where the defense is, and pass away from it. Use two-handed grip as a passer.

* Play under control. Don't have your mind made up about what you want to do. Read the numbers and take what the defense gives you in an organized and controlled matter.

* Be patient. Don't play fast! A good rule to remember is to hurry, but don't rush. It's not how fast you go, it's what you do.

* Don't force shots! Pass the ball when you are well defended.

* Dribble the basketball with your head up and see the court.

* Dribble the basketball north and south. Offensive basketball players should look to attack the gaps in the defense. No wasted dribbles.

* Always know the time and score.

* Maintain proper spacing of 15 to 18 feet. Spacing is offense and offense is spacing. Keep the basketball offense high and wide. Perimeter offensive players should stay above the NBA three point line, except of course when executing cuts or screening opportunities.

* Make passes. As a general rule, we want our offensive basketball team on the court to make three passes before attempting a shot, other than a lay-up opportunity.

* Catch-and-face. In our half-court basketball offense sets, we want our players to catch and face the basket in a triple threat position. This basketball offense stance allows our players to see the whole court and read the defense.

* Always look to go inside first, before shooting outside shots! Our first objective every time down the floor is to go inside. We like for our post to touch the ball before any shots are taken.
* Use a jump-stop in the post area. Keep the ball under chin, with elbows out.

* Always look to dribble penetrate (slash) to the elbows. We love to play off the elbows offensively (jump shot, draw-and-kick, or kick-out).

* Look to draw-and-kick. Anytime a weak-side defender rotates to stop ball, we look to pass to our open teammate. Use a bounce pass in the paint to hit the open teammate.

* Get fouled! To win the big games, you must get to the free throw line, and then you must make them... Great players get to the foul line 7 to 8 times a game.

* Communicate on all screens. Raise your weak hand to let the cutter know you're coming to screen for him. As you set the screen, call out your teammate's name.

* Set tough, hard screens. Set your screen on the defender's numbers (headhunt). The screener should remain in a stationary position for a two count.

* Always receive the screen late - Wait! Wait! Wait! Wait for the screener to jump stop and say your name before you begin your v-cut to get open.

* Read the defense. Think before you move. Try to take advantage of what the defense gives you. Our cutter and screener must concentrate on their defender and not watch the ball. Cutters should always make their cuts away from their defender and "move with a purpose."

* Move to be a great receiver! As a pass receiver, you must always step to the ball, show a hand-target, and call for the ball.

* Backdoor cut when overplayed. When your defender has a foot and hand in the passing lane to deny you from catching the ball, change direction and cut behind the defender toward the basket with your lead hand up.

* Fake a pass, to make a pass, and look to use a shot fake before you dribble.

* Acknowledge (credit) the unselfish pass that leads to score. "Point to him," the assist guy. Let the fans know who made the play.

* Crash the offensive boards. Players #3, #4, and #5 must crash the boards on every shot while players #1 and #2 sprint back to stop the fast break.

* Rebound the offense. We want our shooter to always follow his shot with his hands up. Our other players (#3, #4, and #5) are responsible for weak-side rebounds. Most rebounds (75%) are grabbed on the weak-side of the basket. Players #1 and #2 hustle back to mid-court to stop our opponents fastbreak... No easy baskets!

Simple Basketball Offenses:

Zone Offense - We use a very innovative basketball shuffle offense to attack zone defenses. Our zone basketball offense is great for teaching players correct movements and reads for attacking zone defense.

Flex Offense - This pattern play basketball offense is simple to teach and offers us a second man-to-man offense for us to run if we need structure. The basketball Flex offense is an excellent offense for teaching young players good basketball fundamentals - footwook, setting screens, receiving screens, reading the defense, slipping screens, backdoor cuts, curl cuts, flare cuts, passing, etc.

UCLA High Post Offense- This is the basketball offensive alignment that was made famous by coach John Wooden at UCLA. We use this set and the 1-4 high set to run our different offensive basketball plays. Our offensive basketball system uses a variety of different offensive plays to strategically attack the defense during the course of the game.

Spread Offense - We love to use the four-corner basketball offense made famous by former North Carolina coach, Dean Smith. This delay game basketball offense is great for clock management, controlling game tempo, and closing a game out strong.

Blocker/ Mover Motion Offense - This easy to teach basketball offense was designed by Coach Dick Bennett. Over the years, we have had great success with this offense to attack man-to-man defenses. This free-lance basketball offense features great offensive basketball action like - dribble hand-offs, double screens, staggered screens, pick and roll, pick and pop, dribble penetration, kick-out passes for 3-point shots, and European 3's.

NUGGETS vs. BULLS

Martin 26 pts 8 rebounds 2 assists 32 minutes
Anthony 21 pts 13 rebounds 8 assists 36 minutes
Billups 21 pts 3 rebounds 8 assists 37 minutes
Hilario 21 pts 6 rebounds 2 assists 38 minutes
Kleiza 9 pts 4 rebounds 2 assists 21 minutes
Smith 8 pts 2 rebounds 2 assists 20 minutes

Latest posts

Back