• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

The good and the bad — midseason report

Franko

It’s the bye week and a great time to take look at the 2016 Idaho State Bengals, and we’ll label things as either good or bad … or something else.

Before that, though, how did the predictions go for the Portland State game (a 45-20 ISU loss)?

Winning prediction: bengalguy, who was pretty spot on he picked Portland State to win 49-17.

Worst prediction: Anybody who had the Bengals.

On to the Bengals …

GOOD: Michael Dean. He’s carried the ball 15 times for 208 yards and three touchdowns, and without his breakout performance against Sacramento State, I’m not sure Idaho State wins that game.

Yes, yes, we’d all like to see Dean get the ball more. He’s averaging a skosh more than three touches per game. Would it be nice if he had the football in his hands, say, five or six or seven times a game? Sure. We’ll get there, folks. Besides, Idaho State has much bigger concerns to deal with.

BAD? No. GOOD? Definitely not: Tanner Gueller is completing 62 percent of his passes for 1,089 yards, seven touchdowns and six interceptions.

At his current pace, Gueller will finish the season with 2,395 passing yards, 15 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. In an offensive scheme that’s going to throw the ball 400-plus times by the end of the year, those are pedestrian numbers.

Add in the fumbles and the sacks (obviously those aren’t all Gueller’s fault), and the sophomore quarterback is playing better than last year — no question – nut he’s not close to the level the Bengals need if they’re going to win multiple league games.

BAD: Mike Kramer is hinting at changes on defense.

In his weekly press conference with the media — which I’d encourage you to watch here: https://www.facebook.com/ISJsports/...if_t=notify_me_page&notif_id=1475591923554484 — Kramer had one line that really stuck out to me.

“What we were teaching is incorrect, and we’ve got to correct it.”

Specifically, Kramer was pointing to how his defense performed against Portland State and its option attack. But there are a couple things from this that I’m still thinking about …

1) ISU has played Cal Poly twice and Portland State three times in the previous three seasons. Both played versions of the option. Yet somehow the Bengals went to Portland a week ago and Kramer believes his coaches weren’t teaching the correct things? It took giving up 500-plus rushing yards to figure that out? What stopped ISU from preparing correctly in the first place?

2) We’ll never know because we’re not allowed into practice, but if Idaho State is making adjustments to its defense … gosh … that’s not good. This is after they installed a new scheme in the offseason, and, for me, it speaks to the idea that the Bengals just can’t find a consistent level of performance on the defensive side of the football. Whether it’s recruiting, the schemes, coaching, maybe a bit of everything, Idaho State has struggled defensively.

BAD: Offensive line issues. I think most of us want to see ISU with a balanced offensive attack, but dang that’s difficult to accomplish when you’re having to shuffle guys in and out based on who isn’t injured. Skyler Phillips, Chase Collins, Brian Fineanganofo and Cody Abbott are all frontline starters who have missed time on the field.

Think about that for a moment. Thomas Vazorka, the senior right guard, is the lone guy who’s been able to play every week. This is just bad, terrible, awful luck, and I’m sure it’s left ISU’s offensive coaches immensely frustrated.

More details on the crummy O-line issues here: http://www.idahostatejournal.com/members/isu-football-notebook-pair-of-o-linemen-down-defense-rebooting/article_a59bd1fa-9ea1-59ac-a7cc-65a45bf334f1.html

BETTER: Idaho State’s special teams have done OK this season. Punting, in particular, has been a positive. Check out the link above for info.

GOOD: After missing all of 2015, Mario Jenkins has returned and leads the Bengals with 49 tackles, eight tackles for loss and three sacks. What would the defense look like without him?

………………………………

In the final six games for Idaho State (2-3, 1-1), how many wins can you find?

at Northern Arizona (1-4, 0-2)

vs NORTH DAKOTA (3-2, 2-0)

vs SOUTHERN UTAH (2-2, 1-1)

at Montana (3-1, 1-1)

at Eastern Washington (4-1, 2-0)

vs WEBER STATE (2-2, 1-0)

We’re back to ranking Idaho State’s games in terms of difficulty!

Level I: Will the defense give up 60?
1. Eastern Washington

Level II: Dating back to 1983, Idaho State has dropped 16 straight games on the road to …
2. Montana

Level III: These guys beat Portland State the week before the Vikings pummeled Idaho State … but, hey, it’s at home!
3. Southern Utah

Level IV: Neither of these teams looks particularly lethal on offense at the moment
4. Northern Arizona
5. North Dakota

Level V: Kramer refuses to call them a rival …
6. Weber State

Excellent write-up Franko. Keep'em coming.

I'm counting my lucky stars that Mario Jenkins is a Junior and has another year to compete. A big loss after this year will be Josh Cook and Taison Manu. Those are going to be some tough guys to replace and hopefully our redshirts along with recruits coming our way will fill those voids. There are many of our seniors that will be tough to lose as it is with every year, but those are the top 2 that stand out to me.

Tacoma5 said:

I'm counting my lucky stars that Mario Jenkins is a Junior and has another year to compete. A big loss after this year will be Josh Cook and Taison Manu. Those are going to be some tough guys to replace and hopefully our redshirts along with recruits coming our way will fill those voids. There are many of our seniors that will be tough to lose as it is with every year, but those are the top 2 that stand out to me.

Whatever happened to that Josh Weeks guy that was mentioned here earlier this season in August as a transfer from BYU. He sounded like he was built very similar to josh cook. BYU was turning him into there tight end and the poster here said he was being brought into ISU to play X Reciever. Maybe Weeks had to sit out this season perhaps and next year he will compete to get cooks minutes.

demian said:
Tacoma5 said:

Whatever happened to that Josh Weeks guy that was mentioned here earlier this season in August as a transfer from BYU. He sounded like he was built very similar to josh cook. BYU was turning him into there tight end and the poster here said he was being brought into ISU to play X Reciever. Maybe Weeks had to sit out this season perhaps and next year he will compete to get cooks minutes.
As I understand it he is headed elsewhere.

Skippy said:
demian said:
Tacoma5 said:

As I understand it he is headed elsewhere.

Ok thanks for the update Skippy.

Latest posts

Back