• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

The Good Old Days

Skippy

Steve Hayes, who starred on the 1977 ISU team that made it to the Final 8, has been posting some great nostalgic photos from that season on Facebook. Below is a link to a shot of the Minidome (now Holt Arena) in its old configuration, with the basketball court in the middle of the field and fans using both sides of the football stands. This is what it looked like when it hosted NCAA first round games back in the 1970s. Hard to believe now, but Holt (the Dome) was one of finest facilities in the West in those days.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155446115086762&set=a.10151291500566762.449699.550226761&type=3

Every once in a blue moon, I check to see how East Tennessee State is doing (they literally have a duplicate of Holt). They've had some great seasons for the last couple of years, but I didn't realize they moved from their Mini-dome 4 seasons ago (2014-15). The last year they played in their dome, they had 19 wins and averaged about 2,500 fans.

ETSU_Dome.jpg

ETSU signed a lease to play in Freedom Hall, the arena owned by the city of Johnson City, TN. It seats approximately 6,000 for basketball, and attendance has increased each year. This year they averaged about 4,500 per game.

ETSU_Freedom_Hall.jpg

There are some other factors which probably came into play. When ETSU initially dropped football, they were forced to move to the Atlantic Sun Conference from the Southern Conference. Some longstanding games from the past were dropped. When they reestablished football, they once again rejoined the Southern Conference in 2014 (the year they moved to the new arena).

I think this has been asked before, but could ISU have partnered with the local auditorium district to build an arena (before the MEC was built)?

12,000 individual seats, indoors. No freezing, or subfreezing aluminum to sit on, nor wind to chill factor your ass. I have always liked Holt for what it offers. How many of the 4,500-6,500 who attend games in Holt would show up if a new outdoor venue took its place?
However, the quality of the product presented, under the dome, has been neglected over the years.

50 yr fan said:
It still is the best facility over all, unless you need a leather vibrating recliner, in the B.S.C. GO BENGALS

With respect, that's not close to being true anymore. (Unless you like to freeze in the middle of winter watching a men's basketball game.)

I haven't been to every football arena yet but of the ones that I have been Montana State's is by far the absolute best facility with Cal Poly a close second because of the view.

As far as basketball I have been to them all and Portland State's will be without question the jewel of the league when it opens next year. As far as existing arena's Southern Utah's to me is the best. Montana is right up there (except for the exposed pipes and ducts in the roof) and I like North Dakota's too.

PBP

SLCBengal said:
Every once in a blue moon, I check to see how East Tennessee State is doing (they literally have a duplicate of Holt). They've had some great seasons for the last couple of years, but I didn't realize they moved from their Mini-dome 4 seasons ago (2014-15). The last year they played in their dome, they had 19 wins and averaged about 2,500 fans.

ETSU_Dome.jpg

ETSU signed a lease to play in Freedom Hall, the arena owned by the city of Johnson City, TN. It seats approximately 6,000 for basketball, and attendance has increased each year. This year they averaged about 4,500 per game.

ETSU_Freedom_Hall.jpg

There are some other factors which probably came into play. When ETSU initially dropped football, they were forced to move to the Atlantic Sun Conference from the Southern Conference. Some longstanding games from the past were dropped. When they reestablished football, they once again rejoined the Southern Conference in 2014 (the year they moved to the new arena).

I think this has been asked before, but could ISU have partnered with the local auditorium district to build an arena (before the MEC was built)?

It is the bain of my existence that ISU and the community could not work together to develop a win-win on a new arena. It started when the city squandered all the insurance money they got when the chief theater burned down. It continued when the voters gave ISU the finger on funding Holt Arena upgrades. And it continued with construction of the MEC, which is an ok facility for its purpose but could have been so much more had the district and ISU worked together to build a first class facility on campus. I sure hope the new ISU president, whoever it is, comes in with a vision to work together with the community. There are just not enough resources to keep piecemealing major projects.

Holt with 5k to 7k for basketball warms up nicely with ample room for more. The product is what is lacking. What about Chrome in the Dome, Potato Expo, Spring Fair. GO BENGALS

50 yr fan said:
Holt with 5k to 7k for basketball warms up nicely with ample room for more. The product is what is lacking. What about Chrome in the Dome, Potato Expo, Spring Fair. GO BENGALS

The facility is outdated and frankly is obsolete as far as the fan comforts that you find around the BSC. Attendance has nothing to do with a poor ventilation / heating system and freezing in the winter despite the best efforts of Jeff. I mean they had to cancel a game there recently vs. Weber State because of leaks in the heating ducts spilling water on to the floor right?

And NONE of the events you mention take place in the dead of winter do they? And they take place during the day...not at night right?

PBP

50 yr fan said:

Well that was 25 years ago and nobody in the Big Sky is drawing crowds like that anymore. As Mark noted 50 years of rodeos and exhaust fumes have pretty much destroyed the ventilation system. I’ve broadcast games from the Dome when I could see my breath.

At the same time, a long run of losing has impacted crowds over time. It’s a shame, because this year’s team was a lot of fun. But it takes time to rebuild a fan base when you’ve had years of losing. Moving back and forth to Reed doesn’t help. I prefer staying in Reed myself, but I know that has downsides as well. If I could just win that Megamillions drawing this week, everything would be solved. 😀

One of the reasons I've heard over the years for men's basketball wanting to stay in Holt has been from a recruiting standpoint. The feeling is that Holt is more "impressive" to recruits then Reed is.

Don't know if that is true or not simply what I've heard.

PBP

PBP said:
As far as basketball I have been to them all and Portland State's will be without question the jewel of the league when it opens next year. As far as existing arena's Southern Utah's to me is the best. Montana is right up there (except for the exposed pipes and ducts in the roof) and I like North Dakota's too.

PBP

I assume you're trolling the Weber people by omitting their precious purple palace. :coffee: ;)

[I assume you're trolling the Weber people by omitting their precious purple palace. :coffee: ;)
[/quote]

No, not at all.

PBP

50 yr fan said:
Every thing needs to be maintained and updated. It is the product that is killing the fan and donor base. GO BENGALS

No question as Brad said, losing is a factor, but its not as simple as "winning will fix everything" at ISU.

That would go a long way to help but it wouldn't be a panacea.

There are some things that can't be just "maintained" due to the expense involved. It's like a 20 year old car...eventually there comes a point where it is actually cheaper in the long run to get a new one as opposed to spending x amount of dollars every year to keep it going.

The issue in both cases though is coming up with the money for the replacement.

Right now ISU doesn't have any answers to that issue.

PBP

Latest posts

Back