• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

The Keys to this Season

I believe the keys to this season will be the offensive line, Kevin Yost, and scoring touchdowns. The offensive line will need to protect and allow time for Kevin Yost to find his receivers. Kevin Yost will need to throw the ball for first downs especially on 3rd down plays. The offense will need to find away to score touchdowns as we were last in scoring last season in the Big Sky.

What do you think are the keys to this season?

You are right. Score more, allow less, if it's a passing game pass on on first down, try to avoid 3rd and long, have a very good kicker. Without all the details as to how that happens, that's about it. Every winning team that I know of does those things, of course we all know that the question is, do we have better players with better ability. I guess that is where scholarships and recruiting come into play.

IMHO...

I agree that the O-Line and Kevin's ability to lead us to scores is a key...Our O-Line gave up 66 sacks and we can't have that happen again. Our net yards rushing for the year was 309.

Scoring Defense....we may give up a lot of yards per game, but we've got to cutback on TDs scored against us by, at a minimum, 1 to 1-1/2 per game. Part of that can occur by having a more potent offense with the ability to sustain drives and take time off the clock...but the defense is the real key.

Part of that will depends on field position...and our kicking game has to be more effective. I know this sounds crazy after having a two-time All American punter for the last two years, but our long-snapping last year was nonexistent after Brock went down before the season. Also, even though David Harrington had 29 kicks inside the 20 and averaged almost 49 yards a kick, we still gave up 50 TDs and 17 FGs. Our defense has to be significantly more stingy....we gave up over 2750 yards net rushing. That has to be reversed.

The O-line and ability to score has to be there...but without a defense, we'll still get outscored by 20.

Again...just my humble opinion...and I don't know much.

votb - your are correct... Defenses and special teams do win championships especially during the playoffs. Our defense will definitely have to step up this season to allow our offense to stay on the field. At the same time, I believe our offense will need to average 30 points or more per game. Last year, we only averaged 18 points per game which was last in the Big Sky. I like games 30-28 in a win but not 18-28 in a loss. We have to find away to be more competitive and score touchdowns otherwise look for another losing season.

1. To me, it all starts with the O-Line with pass protection and establishing some type of running game. Move the chains on third down is easier with a running game. It helps keep the defense honest.

2. Next, on the defensive side of the ball, third down stops. Get your offense back on the field. After that, see #1.

It sounds like the O-Line will be the key to the offense according to the postings. If the O-Line performs well in the games than it is really is up to the running backs, the quarterbacks, and the receivers to score touchdowns as the O-Line has done its job. If the O-Line does not perform well in the games than it is up to the coaches to find the right combination of O-Linemen.

Any comments on the O-Line or Offense?

It sounds like the defense is more about stopping the opposing team offense especially on 3rd downs plays and not giving up so many touchdowns. The question is do we have the talent and speed to stop opposing teams offense as we were last in the Big Sky by allowing the most points per game and allowing the most total yardage gained.

Any comments on the Defense?

What about the special teams. Any comments?

What about redshirts this season? I do not think Justin Arias will redshirt this season as I do not think Sessions is ready to step in and be the starting quarterback if Kevin Yost is unable to play. The only reason I think Justin Arias may redshirt is if Kevin Yost stays healthy all season and perfroms well in the games. Sessions is a true freshmen who was on mission the last 2 years so I just do not see him starting as he is new to college football, does not know the offense, and probably needs to work on his foot work and throwing.

Hear is an article from the Idaho Journal about the O-Line.

http://www.idahostatejournal.com/members/article_6a8937e8-e2a3-11e1-b449-0019bb2963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it's three areas, fundamental to basic winning football.

1. The offensive line has got to give Yost time...he can't on every play be taking a three or a five step drop, start scrambling and try to throw of his back foot. You could have the reincarnation of Tom Brady, Johnny Unitas and Terry Bradshaw rolled into one but if you don't have the time, it doesn't matter how good the QB is.

2. The Big Sky is basically a pass first conference which is why the defensive line has to start stopping the run. ISU gave up about 250 yards a game last year on the ground...in a passing conference. If not stop it, start to limit it to reasonable numbers and force opponents to do one thing, pass the ball. That limits their options and helps the ISU defense.

3. The secondary was so broken last year, beat up, other issues particularly at safety that it was open season on them. Getting the secondary if not solved then stabilized will go a long way in helping the defense as a unit.

Four wins this season is not unreasonable and that would show concrete progress has been made in Mike's second season.

PBP

Latest posts

Back