• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

The PAC/MWC Dominoes Begin to Fall

I have always loved the Alabama State facility that was $65M. Incorporate the Broad, get capacity up to or just above 30,000 and I'd be elated. I realize $ amount is in 2012 Alabama dollars...

Stadium.jpg

Those are some nice digs. Even have the name correct.

One would guess that a scaled own “Snapdragon”, maybe 22-25K seats and less premium suites in Sac would probably cost around $220-250? Snapdragon costs $310 in SD a few years ago.

Thanks, Kadeezy. But, I was hoping HornetFootballFan could, without giving away source, provide any kind of concrete info as to where the said money is coming from.
Kadeezy has it right. The student fee’s are the foundation for now that gets us to $100M. If other moneys come in SAC City in addition to Kadeezy list of sources the amount would / could grow. In addition to conference invitation that would allow us to project conference revenues as well.

Expect silence for awhile as we wait for an invitation. If we don’t. Then we build the best FCS facilities and program that we can for a future oppty.

Some info I've been told in previous conversations, some info is as recent as in the past 6 hours today.

Now…. We wait. Final numbers would be decided later!

Kadeezy has it right. The student fee’s are the foundation for now that gets us to $100M. If other moneys come in SAC City in addition to Kadeezy list of sources the amount would / could grow. In addition to conference invitation that would allow us to project conference revenues as well.

Expect silence for awhile as we wait for an invitation. If we don’t. Then we build the best FCS facilities and program that we can for a future oppty.

Some info I've been told in previous conversations, some info is as recent as in the past 6 hours today.

Now…. We wait. Final numbers would be decided later!
Thanks!

For what it is worth, the following is from Nevada Sportsnet posted this afternoon.

* The MW is vetting UTEP and Texas State as potential targets, per The Athletic, with New Mexico State, Sam Houston and Tarleton State also listed as options. All of those schools butTarleton State play at the FBS, meaning the MW appears to be looking at that route rather than going after high-level FCS football programs like Montana, Montana State, North Dakota State and South Dakota State. The timeline also is in question. Does the MW try and add schools before a potential Pac-12 circle back or wait until more dominoes fall? “If (these) eight can stay together and we can add some teams, we can really be a good league,” Wyoming athletic director Tom Burman told local reporters. “If (the Pac-12 can’t add AAC schools), it’s likely they’re going to circle back to the Mountain West, and we could lose an additional member or two members. So, that’s why expansion is very, very important.”

* FCS school Sacramento State is attempting to bypass the MW and go right into the Pac-12, an ambitious goal that's likely to fall short. But the newly formed Sac-12 committee announced today a goal of securing $50 million in NIL commitments to cover the first 10 years in the Pac-12; securing funding to build a new 25,000-capacity football stadium; securing funding to build a 6,500-seat basketball arena; turning out at least 15,000 attendees per home football game for the remainder of the season; and securing $5.25 million for the application fee to join the MW. Even if Sac State accomplished all of those things, it'd be the footprint for a MW school rather than a Pac-12 school.

Texas State, Sam Houston and new comer to FCS Tarleton have been campaigning for FBS for years. Sam has a crappy stadium, but a modest arena in Bowers, Tarleton just build a new stadium and arena and Texas State has great facilities based on student fees. If push comes to shove would Sac still be all in to join Conference USA?

It appears all realignment is damn the regionalization. Tulane, Memphis to PAC? Really? MWC or PAC will not be regionalized which I think is what the Hornets want.

There is a price to pay for inactivity for the past 40yrs.

UTEP would be smart to leave, but the current SunBelt is better situated than the new MWC, so Texas State would be foolish to leave. The MWC TV contract would most like be lower than the SunBelt or in the same ball park.

Thinking SHSU is better than any of the Montanas, Dokotas, or Sac/UCD is hilarious. That just shows me the MWC leaderships are not thinking straight. They’re in a worse financial situation than any of those listed schools. Facilities aren’t any better.

If MWC is really looking that way, I guess that ship has sailed. We’d be in line for CUSA behind EKU, Tarleton, and a few other southern schools. It’s really MWC or nothing at this point

Texas State, Sam Houston and new comer to FCS Tarleton have been campaigning for FBS for years. Sam has a crappy stadium, but a modest arena in Bowers, Tarleton just build a new stadium and arena and Texas State has great facilities based on student fees. If push comes to shove would Sac still be all in to join Conference USA?

It appears all realignment is damn the regionalization. Tulane, Memphis to PAC? Really? MWC or PAC will not be regionalized which I think is what the Hornets want.

There is a price to pay for inactivity for the past 40yrs.
Trying to make up for 30+ years of under funded infrastructure. Who cares about the past let’s focus on the how bright the future of Hornet Football is!
MWC makes the most sense for many reasons. If they don’t extend an offer then we give #20 TV Market to another conference!
It’s a big market and we will be a great addition for recruiting etc for non MWC if they snub us?

Everyone take a breath. I have no inside info but here is how I see it:

The Pac12 is going to try to be the "best of the rest" of the non-Power conferences and will go after top AAC programs to get to 10 members (for now). The realignment folks/media are stating that Memphis and Tulane are the top targets. If the Pac12 can get them, they can probably get another AAC member or 2 to come over. If they can't poach anyone from the AAC, they will circle back and pick off some more MW programs to get to 8 full members. The Pac12 is on the clock so they have to get their membership lineup settled by the end of this academic year.

The MW will be scrounging for whoever they can and I would argue are more pressed for time than the Pac12 as they have to backfill and potentially stave off another raid from the Pac12. The MW will no doubt exhaust trying to poach other FBS programs before opening it up to FCS options...but they will have options, including us. Just note, the most recent realignment movement from Texas schools has been towards the east. Whether that trend continues remains to be seen.

There's going to be rumors flying all over the place so take the clickbait with a grain of salt. There has been a lot of support that has materialized in our favor, we just have to trust that the current administration will maximize this opportunity. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

This will push our overall athletics budget past multiple MWC members, including San Jose State.
I was wondering where our new budget fits into the MWC and If we don’t get a MWC offer then we become an even stronger FCS power with NIL revenues to support our players.
Honestly I looked at Conference USA and I’d prefer we stay kings of BigSky Conf than join an FBS w teams that aren’t geographically a good match.
I do think we’re a great fit in the MWC. The MWC should add SAC ST because we have everything they need w Top 20 TV Market. Gloria Nevarez is smart. She & MWC also doesn’t want Conf USA or American in CA Recruiting players either!!

Last edited:
Listening to Carmichael Dave this morning and he made a good point. People of influence and the politicians involved would not use their political capital on this Sac-12 deal unless there had been some conversations with PAC-12 previously.

Those numbers released by the Sac-12 were specific and not a guess. Pretty sure they were given the minimum requirements to be considered.

Releasing renderings of the stadium and arena is a way to stoke the flames a little more. I'm pretty sure they already have tentative ones.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back