• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

The Scrimmage on 8/20/16

Reborn2010

I thought it would be nice to have a Thread on the scrimmage today. It begins at 9 am (is that mountain time)? I live in Yakima and have a grandson playing so it will be really nice if fans can post here to let people like me (family and friends of players who play for ISU) know how it is going, or how it went. Those of you who attend can provide a great service for those of us who can't.

Personally, I'm most interested in the QBs receivers, and DBs.

Here are my impressions of it in no particular order.

Defense looked good, VERY good, consistently put pressure on the quarterbacks out of the 4-3 alignment and that was without Jenkins and Manu who didn't play. Nothing wrong with them, just being safe. Grabbed a deflected pass and picked it off. The return would probably have gone a long way if not for a score.

Saw Williams on the sidelines on crutches with his lower right ankle / leg in a walking boot.

Cheney looked great on punts both directional and coffin corner, knocked one out at the one yard line. I was told he's now on partial scholarship.

Offense is still a work in progress. Offensive line had issues protecting the quarterbacks. Receivers dropped at least a half dozen passes that were on target. Running game looked good Woodhouse had some nice ones and Dean got around the corner and got into the end zone on a sweep play. Johnson also made a field goal.

PBP

Thanks for the update. Let's hope the OL builds on this and the newer guys pick up block schemes and intensity quick. Good call keeping the starters out or at a minimum. Love what I'm seeing with these hungry freshmen. We have 2 weeks let's stay healthy Bengals!

@Mguernsey_ISJ has been putting up some good updates from today's scrimmage as well. Hopefully we see some interviews come through from today.

thanks PBP for the write-up. Much appreciated. How would you compare this year's team to last years at this point of the season. What looks better???

I would say the biggest improvement I noticed at this scrimmage compared to this time last year is we're a TEAM. The comrodery and excitement level is way up from last year on the field and sidelines. The defense on the sidelines cheering on their squad especially! As it was third down, there was more noise from the defense sideline players then I have ever heard in a practice/scrimmage. These guys are determined to never have another defensive year like last year.
Also, I would say the catches on inside routes in traffic were very good. The dropped balls today we're easily catchable balls, so hopefully that was just nerves of the young guys. But the difficult passes in traffic were great. Fortunately this will be most the passes with the new offensive scheme.

Reborn2010 said:
thanks PBP for the write-up. Much appreciated. How would you compare this year's team to last years at this point of the season. What looks better???

They have much better depth than last season. It's a trade off. Last year the offense looked better at this point...this year the defense looks better.

PBP

BengalBannMan said:
I would say the biggest improvement I noticed at this scrimmage compared to this time last year is we're a TEAM. The comrodery and excitement level is way up from last year on the field and sidelines. The defense on the sidelines cheering on their squad especially! As it was third down, there was more noise from the defense sideline players then I have ever heard in a practice/scrimmage. These guys are determined to never have another defensive year like last year.
Also, I would say the catches on inside routes in traffic were very good. The dropped balls today we're easily catchable balls, so hopefully that was just nerves of the young guys. But the difficult passes in traffic were great. Fortunately this will be most the passes with the new offensive scheme.

Thanks for a good report. Appreciate it. I really like what you said about the comrodery and excitement level. Were there any players that stuck out? Especially new players that you just thought, wow this kid is going to really help us this year. To be better this year we need some new players who are going to BE BETTER.

PBP said:
Here are my impressions of it in no particular order.

Defense looked good, VERY good, consistently put pressure on the quarterbacks out of the 4-3 alignment and that was without Jenkins and Manu who didn't play. Nothing wrong with them, just being safe. Grabbed a deflected pass and picked it off. The return would probably have gone a long way if not for a score.

Saw Williams on the sidelines on crutches with his lower right ankle / leg in a walking boot.

Cheney looked great on punts both directional and coffin corner, knocked one out at the one yard line. I was told he's now on partial scholarship.

Offense is still a work in progress. Offensive line had issues protecting the quarterbacks. Receivers dropped at least a half dozen passes that were on target. Running game looked good Woodhouse had some nice ones and Dean got around the corner and got into the end zone on a sweep play. Johnson also made a field goal.

PBP

Were there any players that stuck out? Especially new players that you just thought, wow this kid is going to really help us this year. To be better this year we need some new players who are going to BE BETTER

Here's a recap with video highlights and interviews from today's scrimmage: http://idahostatejournal.com/members/isu-football-defensive-showcase-bengals-offense-can-t-match-defense/article_c0c77135-36ea-5d51-8c2b-2d67b990edff.html

Also a reminder: all ISU football content published since this summer can be found here: http://idahostatejournal.com/sports/isu/isu-football-recapping-isu-football-from-summer-present/article_2358165c-c03a-59ee-98a8-880b004c7c1d.html

Reborn2010 said:
Were there any players that stuck out? Especially new players that you just thought, wow this kid is going to really help us this year. To be better this year we need some new players who are going to BE BETTER

If Mike decides not to redshirt Dean he could be of tremendous help. He' so short he gets lost among the big bodies and if you are a defender he's just hard to see. Very quick, shifty. Was told earlier this week in a closed practice he cutback three or four times on a single carry and wound up gaining 12 yards.

He may also be of real help on kick / punt returns if Mike decides to go in that direction.

PBP

Agree PBP. Michael Dean is fun to watch. Also, Transfer WR Pat Carter and freshman Chris Reynolds are battling for a starting spot at WR, and both did well. ...it's worth mentioning that punts seemed to have good hang time and distance.

mguernsey_isj said:
Here's a recap with video highlights and interviews from today's scrimmage: http://idahostatejournal.com/members/isu-football-defensive-showcase-bengals-offense-can-t-match-defense/article_c0c77135-36ea-5d51-8c2b-2d67b990edff.html

Also a reminder: all ISU football content published since this summer can be found here: http://idahostatejournal.com/sports/isu/isu-football-recapping-isu-football-from-summer-present/article_2358165c-c03a-59ee-98a8-880b004c7c1d.html

Thanks for the heads up. The write-ups in the papers were really good, with all statistics in them. Thanks. Freshmen did pretty well. Underclassmen did well. I think it was a good scrimmage. For ALL.

Latest posts

Back