• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

The "sissisfication" of football

votb

A lot has been said since the NFL canceled Sunday night's game between the Eagles and Vikings because of "inclement" weather. I wonder how Jared Allen felt about that? Well, this is what Jared said...“What else can you say? Just add this to the list for the 2010 season.”

Here's an article by another former football player talking about how this game that used to be known for its "blood and guts" is actually having its guts removed...

Ex-Coug decries football sissies

By Dick Harmon

Deseret News
Published: Tuesday, Dec. 28, 2010 1:04 a.m. MST

What is happening to football?

The NFL postponed the Philadelphia Eagles versus the Minnesota Vikings game until today. Because of snow?

Sissies.

That is what some diehard lovers of the game now claim: We are seeing the sissification of football.

One of those critics is former BYU defensive star Derik Stevenson. Two weeks ago he picked up an AP story that ran in the Deseret News and read an article about concussions being up 21 percent in the NFL.

"What is happening to my sport?" he asks in a recent e-mail to me.

Stevenson played for the Cougars in 1992 and 95-98. You might remember Stevenson. He's the BYU player who saw his father get in a scuffle with Utah fans at Rice-Eccles Stadium when Ryan Kaneshiro's 32-yard field goal hit the upright and dropped harmlessly to the ground. Stevenson dove into the fray in the stands to his dad's aid.

"After hanging up the football helmet in 2000, I stopped following the sport for about six or seven years. After playing it for almost 20 years I wanted to focus on other things. Now I sit down and turn on a weekend matchup and I simply shake my head. What are they trying to do to football? It is being turned into something I almost don't recognize.

"Maybe my extended absence from playing and even watching allows me to see what the committed observer doesn't see. When did they start to discourage and even make illegal the vicious hits? From the time I was six years old I was instructed as a tackler to 'lead with my eyes.' You were to put your helmet straight into the ball-carrier's face. I tried to hit that way until I was 26. It was the technique of the 'sure tackler' and the 'crowd pleaser.' Sure there are risks involved, but that's football ... That's life! Do people know that every player gets hurt every game? They will have to outlaw the entire sport when word of that fact gets out."

It is true. Rule changes to protect the quarterback have impacted defensive players and taken some aggression out of the game.

"On top of trying to make slobber-knockers illegal, did you see the Bears vs. Patriots game?" asked Stevenson.

The weather factor came into play that day.

"Did you see how many players wore long-sleeved shirts because it was cold? Really?

"I used to start to salivate when I lined up across from a tight end or running back in thermal underwear. I could smell weakness. I knew I would have him in tears before halftime. Did you notice that the one linebacker from my era, Brian Urlacher, didn't even have an undershirt on under his pads? Too much pride in that guy. Raised in a tougher time. It could have been 40 below and he'd be shirtless. That's what men do.

"Back at BYU, if a freshman or JC transfer came out onto the practice field in November or December with a sweatshirt under his pads I promptly sent him back into the locker room to change, even the kickers and quarterbacks. If they refused, they usually got punched in the mouth. They have other sports for guys like that."

Maybe there's a sprinkle of hyperbole there. Maybe not.

Stevenson continued:

"Even worse than the players dressing like sissies ... what's with these guys writhing on the turf in agony every other play? My Pop Warner coaches told me at six that I could 'never show signs of weakness.' They told me that it would only make the enemy stronger.

"I played almost 20 years and refused to let on that I was hurt or tired. It's why coaches don't let you bend over with your hands on your knees during conditioning or scrimmages. Guys today act like European soccer players. A few seconds later, they prance off the field as if nothing happened. You would've had to shoot (former BYU star linebacker) Rob Morris with a gun to make him lay down until the trainers came out. If (former BYU star offensive lineman) John Tait had both legs ripped off during a game he would have dragged himself off the field using only his arms. You were to never lay down on the field of battle."

Well, Derik, now they are canceling NFL games because of snow. It may have been due to safety and transportation issues; it may have been the facilities were simply unmanageable for crowds to move around inside the stadium. I don't know if it was due to discomfort of players, but Dick Butkus certainly would not have been amused and I bet you aren't either.

The Eagles-Vikings game tonight will be the NFL's first Tuesday game since Oct. 1, 1946.

"I guess it was a different time. It'll soon be a different sport," Stevenson said.

haha... that brings back the memory of breaking my leg in little league and my dad telling me not to cry or show signs of weakness in front of the other team.

i do think there are some rules out there that are just stupid and contribute to the idea that football is becoming a sissy sport. however, i think from a business stand point they are doing things the right way. many of these players represent a multi-million dollar investment by owners and like any investor they want to get a high return. because of the physical demands of the game, pros have just a few years to make as much money as they can. add that with some of the health issues that may linger after their playing days are done and i think owners and the nflpa are doing the right thing to protect players.

that said, cancelling a game because of snow is just stupid. one of the things that makes football so special (in my eyes) is that it can be and is played in all different types of weather. if the owners in philly don't like snow maybe they should be the team to move to LA.

In the NFL, the players are bigger, stronger, faster than they were 20-30 years ago. The medical profession also knows more about concussions today than they did two decades ago. The NFL is a violent game, much more violent than I remember it in the 70s and 80s. Not sure how anybody can call anything about the NFL "sissisification." NFL players have a significantly shorter life span (http://www.seattlepi.com/football/362412_nflhealth09.html)around 20 years less than the average man (probably mainly due to weight and bulk issues but probably also due to the violent nature of the game). Not sure why the Eagles game was postponed until Tuesday but I wouldn't want to be the one that calls NFL players sissies.

Yep, football players were tougher back when the field was uphill both ways, every Saturday it snowed a foot, and brain damage was a badge of courage.

Latest posts

Back