• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

The Struggles at Portland State

Skippy

When Portland State brought in Nigel Burton and his pistol offense in 2010, and the city renovated Jeld-Wen Field extensively, it looked like the Vikings had found a successful approach to restoring what is usually a competitive program. PSU went 7-4 in Burton's second season there, and opposing teams were having a heck of a time stopping the pistol.

But the upward trajectory flattened out and the Vikings went 3-8 and 6-6 over the last two seasons, and they are 3-5 so far this year. More concerning is the lack of interest in the PSU program. The Oregonian reported PSU sold just over 800 tickets for the Vikings' game against NAU two weeks ago, even though they reported a crowd of over 4,000. (Which, in itself, is a tiny draw for a large city like Portland).

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2014/10/canzano_guess_which_local_coll.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oregonian columnist John Canzano blames the "minor league baseball" marketing approach for the poor turnout, and says the university needs to better connect with the 165,000 alums it has in the Portland area. The paper also did an unscientific poll on its website, asking what factors most influence PSU's inability to sell football tickets. The top rated factors in the poll were:

--Computer-campus apatheric mentality -- 21.9 percent
--Football team's shaky performance -- 15.9 percent
--Rise in recent years of Ducks-Beavers football performance -- 15.5 percent
--Failure of PSU to connect with 165,000 alumni base -- 15 percent.

During the many seasons I broadcast ISU football, my trips to Portland have always been interesting. You can watch hundreds of cars with Duck and Beaver pennants attached leaving town on football Saturdays, heading to Corvallis and Eugene. The large downtown stadium where PSU plays, which has had many different names and configurations over the years, has always been about three-fourths empty. There has been scant coverage of PSU games in the Oregonian and on local TV stations. The one thing that has kept PSU competitive over the years has been the relatively large local recruiting pool in the Portland-Washington state area, and the fact that kids like to play in the Portland area. (Compare recruiting to Portland with Pocatello, for example).

But financially, the Vikings have struggled, and their president recently told the athletic department they are going to have to be financially self-sufficient. It will be interesting to see how the future of PSU football plays out in the coming years.

Portland is a "pro" market (i.e. Blazers) and as Brad has pointed out Oregon and Oregon State dominates fan interest and media coverage.

The Vikings rank far down the list in the area of interest simply because compared to the Blazers, Ducks and Beavers they are very small time. I don't know if anything can change that regardless of what the university tries to do...the media isn't interested and it appears the fans don't care either.

Looking back you wonder if the Big Sky now regrets moving into the Portland and Sacramento areas at the expense say of the Dakotas. I understand their desire to get into larger markets and I understand how difficult it is to get to the Dakotas...but at least those fans there care deeply about their programs and they draw very well. It's pretty clear you can't say the same about Portland and Sacramento State.

I remember about eight years ago or so when PSU hosted the men's basketball tournament. They couldn't play it in Stott Center because it was far to small so they had to go into the Rose Garden. That's an 18 thousand seat arena...maybe three thousand folks showed up when Portland State played. In an arena that size it looked like no one was even there.

PBP

PBP said:
Portland is a "pro" market (i.e. Blazers) and as Brad has pointed out Oregon and Oregon State dominates fan interest and media coverage.

The Vikings rank far down the list in the area of interest simply because compared to the Blazers, Ducks and Beavers they are very small time. I don't know if anything can change that regardless of what the university tries to do...the media isn't interested and it appears the fans don't care either.

Looking back you wonder if the Big Sky now regrets moving into the Portland and Sacramento areas at the expense say of the Dakotas. I understand their desire to get into larger markets and I understand how difficult it is to get to the Dakotas...but at least those fans there care deeply about their programs and they draw very well. It's pretty clear you can't say the same about Portland and Sacramento State.

I remember about eight years ago or so when PSU hosted the men's basketball tournament. They couldn't play it in Stott Center because it was far to small so they had to go into the Rose Garden. That's an 18 thousand seat arena...maybe three thousand folks showed up when Portland State played. In an arena that size it looked like no one was even there.

PBP

The "good things" about being in the Portland and Sac markets are: 1) recruiting. Most Big Sky schools recruit heavily in northern California and the Portland area. You can tell recruits from those areas they'll be "coming home" to play every year or two. 2). Travel. Flying into Portland and Sacramento is relatively cheap and inexpensive.

The down side, of course, is that those schools get very little fan or media interest in the big cities.

I do understand why Portland State has had some struggles in the past. Like most college sports, if a team is winning the students and fans will come to the games. The Bengals will need to play well in this game as the Vikings are 2 - 1 at home this season. Game time is 4:30 PM with possible rain and wind in the forecast.

Go Bengals!

Interesting post on the Montana message board:

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68005" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts

Back