• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Torre Chisholm Interview 7/10/2013

VikThunder

State of Viking Athletics.......

http://www.oregonlive.com/vikings/index.ssf/2013/07/an_interview_with_portland_sta.html#incart_river_default" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Merritt Paulson is hinting at using a grass surface. To that end...

How is the relationship with Jeld-Wen Field?

We have one more year left on our lease with them, so next year we'll re-evaluate where we are with them. It's been a great venue for us in terms of recruiting and also fan amenities. Last year we started to notice a little bit of a challenge, because currently it feels a little big for us, but we like the upside. We have high expectations for the football program and we're investing in the football program for it to be successful. Our goal is: How do we grow the football program and grow our marketing so we actually grow into Jeld-Wen?

I can't tell you how much Timbers fans read into this as "PSU football is slipping and might either be on their way out, or at least to Hillsboro."

There is definite pressure on PSU football to draw, this year.

I am curious if the lease is public record.

The Timbers last game is August 17th, leaving the rest of the year to PSU. Does the city have any one else to pay the rent? Our rent payments will be more palatable when our attendance grows, which it will at least a little this year.

August 17? More like October 20 (season ends at the end of October) with playoffs a strong possibility this year.

Paulson quite easily pays the rent with one Timbers game. The city missed out on hosting a World Cup Qualifier because US Soccer disdains turf... and Paulson was told rightly that laying sod over the turf (like was done in Seattle when they hosted last month) causes problems for the artificial surface.

So this happened when MLS announced the 2014 All Star Game this week...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/07/11/natural-grass-jeld-wen-field-portland-timbers-owner-merritt-paulson-says-wer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just saying that people are seeing a 2+2 here.

Pounder said:

We have one more year left on our lease with them, so next year we'll re-evaluate where we are with them. It's been a great venue for us in terms of recruiting and also fan amenities. Last year we started to notice a little bit of a challenge, because currently it feels a little big for us, but we like the upside. We have high expectations for the football program and we're investing in the football program for it to be successful. Our goal is: How do we grow the football program and grow our marketing so we actually grow into Jeld-Wen?

Chisholm should clueless: You grow the football program by winning games and championships.

Pounder said:

I can't tell you how much Timbers fans read into this as "PSU football is slipping and might either be on their way out, or at least to Hillsboro."

There is definite pressure on PSU football to draw, this year.

I am curious if the lease is public record.

I'll be extremely pissed if Torre Chisholm allows PSU to get pushed out of Jeld-Wen Field.

"Pushed out of Jeld Wen Field" might be the least of the football program's problems.

I admit to having a certain attitude about this. I look at this from a league standpoint. If everyone markets by simply wins and losses, does a team on a 3-year losing streak fold? If football is drawing 1,500 paying fans per game (which is the rumor), can PSU afford to wait for the team to get better?

Are the resources available to do anything? That includes the fans themselves.

When a lease is up in this situation, anything being said about "pushed out" is trumped by the possibility of being "priced out."

I'm especially curious to see how the Thursday night games go this season. This is completely anecdotal, but I know plenty of OSU and UO fans in the Portland area who are excited to see these because it means not having to potentially miss a Beaver or Duck game. While maybe not optimal, carving out Thursday nights with no competing local teams could be a really good thing.

BobWoodshed said:
I'm especially curious to see how the Thursday night games go this season. This is completely anecdotal, but I know plenty of OSU and UO fans in the Portland area who are excited to see these because it means not having to potentially miss a Beaver or Duck game. While maybe not optimal, carving out Thursday nights with no competing local teams could be a really good thing.

My initial instinct was to say that most college fans have a Saturday expectation.

Of course, any soccer fan with knowledge of Europe has the same. However, the Timbers' USL days were marked (and marketed) with a lot of Thirsty Thursdays. Somehow I don't think PSU can pull off that particular promotion, but if there's any way to evoke the spirit of that, try running with it.

Yes, this is not optimal, probably not something PSU can do consistently, but there's a test to be had here.

Thirsty Thursdays has a ring of Portland sporting tradition to it. If this is a Portland thing, it would be good for us to do our part to keep this tradition alive and well. I see it as a transferable theme to which Viking football games are entitled as well as are any other Portland city stadium event.

I thnk it would be a good idea for the Viks to capitalize, especailly if this is a true Portland sports tradtion. :) Portlanders love their beer and a sporting event is a nice way to pass the time while drinking it.

Latest posts

Back