• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Tough call on next head coach.

bengalcub

Thinking about it a bit...

With ISU losing tonight and Eastern hosting ISU in the 1st round, it is not unrealistic to see ISU finish losing 7 of 8. As an avid Martin fan (still a fan) the late season meltdown in my opinion complicates the whole HC process.

So, as much as I jumped on the Martin bandwagon, I can see how my emotion may have been a bit premature. Not saying that Coach M hasn't done a phenomenal job, but the fall has been as rapid as the rise.

Then again, maybe they win at EWU this weekend and end up winning the BSC tourney. Who knows!

Thoughts?

bengalcub said:
Thinking about it a bit...

With ISU losing tonight and Eastern hosting ISU in the 1st round, it is not unrealistic to see ISU finish losing 7 of 8. As an avid Martin fan (still a fan) the late season meltdown in my opinion complicates the whole HC process.

So, as much as I jumped on the Martin bandwagon, I can see how my emotion may have been a bit premature. Not saying that Coach M hasn't done a phenomenal job, but the fall has been as rapid as the rise.

Then again, maybe they win at EWU this weekend and end up winning the BSC tourney. Who knows!

Beat me to it Cub... was thinking the same thing.

In fact, for some, this may make the decision easier. The new coach smell has worn off.

I think Martin has done an admirable job with who he has had to work with. Hats off go to those players who are giving it their all, but the truth is, Joe O'Brien was one of the worst recruiters I have seen in years.

Truth be told, I'm actually underwhelmed by the supposed 4 finalists for the job. HoopDirt is saying something today that they've learned a D2 job in Colorado has become available. Not sure if that's Wilson, but I will hope for the best if he's the choice. There is some baggage there, and like Roar said in another post, he did have a chance here before.

Bill Evans? You'll get strong defense, and hopefully some good recruiting ties because of his experience at Montana. He did a pretty good job at SUU, considering what he had to work with at the time. If he's hired, I don't see him looking to move up anywhere, and I don't know if that's a good or bad thing at this level. Frankly, I think Wilson is probably a little better choice than Evans, because he did work under him at SUU, and he has some insight into ISU, too.

Chris Jones? Kind of a mystery to me. He'll bring a defensive presence, but other than that, he doesn't bring a lot of experience I can see. I get that people are trying to create a Stew Morrill coaching tree, but that doesn't always mean success. Verlin and Rahe have done ok, and Stew was a product of the Mike Montgomery coaching tree, which also produced Doug Oliver. Jones would open up Utah recruiting, something that disappeared when Oliver left.

Deane Martin? He has had the toughest hand dealt to him, in my opinion. He has done a good job, but he's still associated with O'Brien, the worst basketball coach ISU has seen in 50 years, and he was out of college coaching a few years prior to joining ISU. His recruiting experience with UNLV can't be overlooked. I like that he played those guys who gave ISU the best chance to win (Joe would have tried to force Jakub to play 30 minutes a game, even though he can't.), but it's still hard to figure out whether this past season was a flash in the pan or what.

I think ISU is throwing a dart at the dartboard with these choices. I'm not too impressed, but maybe we'll be surprised and see a bullseye. :twocents:

The writing is on the wall. Wilson will be the next coach in my opinion. I honestly feel that there had to be better candidates out there.

I am not saying that the candidate pool could not be better. But, I do think that the pool is solid all things considered.

Any new coach will come in at a pretty major recruiting disadvantage because of the most recent update of academic requirements that have been put in place. The APR is teetering (although I am hearing that ISU may retain all scholarships) and a new coach will not be able to go out and aggressively go after JC kids. So, rebuilding this program will take longer than it would with a school without these types of challenges.

My point, the challenges may be a deterrent to potential candidates. Especially for a coach that wants to win right now or very soon.

I think Martin, Wilson or Evans would be great hires, all challenges considered. If I were a betting man, I say Evans gets it. Why? Because he has longevity and experience in building a small challenged D-1 program and additional D-1 experience at Montana.

Been wrong before, but trying not to make a habit of it.

Stew's philosophy at USU has been about 50% JC and 50% high school. That might rule Jones out right there.

I've been hearing Louis Wilson's name a lot, so I'd be suprised if anybody but him is named. Adams State did lose 3 of its last 4 games, and lost its quarterfinal game tonight against the conference #6 seed. His season may be over, and it had a disappointing finish. Like we found out with Zamberlin, academic admission requirements are different for D2 programs vs. D1.

Evans has been a major part of Montana's recent success. I wouldn't necessarily mind him, and I forgot that he did serve as a grad assistant here way back when. Like I said before, he did a pretty good job with what he had to work with at SUU, even though he more or less inherited that job as well. He took over the SUU job only after the previous head coach quit due to a shoplifting arrest up in Moscow. :lol:

I just don't see a candidate among the four with proven continued success and who will engergize the fan base like Kramer did for football. Again, just my :twocents: .

Just a few random thoughts. Martin has done a wonderful job with the talent he has. Games are close. Wins are few as of late. Where would this team be without Kenny McGowen's heroics. It would be fun to see what he could do with his own recruits.

I'd sure hate to be the AD and make the decision on who the next coach will be -- I think it's one of the most difficult things they'd have to do. But I do have a lot of faith and confidence in Jeff Tingey, though, as he's made some pretty good hires while here -- they're much better than Paul Bubb's hires.

I would like to see a Current head coach get the job. I think Chase being banged up and depth probably caught up to the Bengals. But both Wilson and Martin stuggled down the stretch so I don't know if you and pin one on one guy and not on the other. I think I know what the Bengal's issues late were, not sure about Wilsons. I'm sure the kids at Adams State knew what was going on as well as his staff. Again, not sure why you bring those guys in during the season for one day and then have the staffs, athletic departments, and players sit in limbo waiting to hear the news for weeks.

If ISU can win on the Road and make it to the final four would that change anyones opinoin?

ISU will not win on the road and make the final 4.. We are over-matched and out of gas, but I commend the effort. I'm excited for whoever the next coach is especially because he has 6 scholarships to give.

It will be hard to beat a team 3 Times in a week. Plus I would assume the team Is staying there since it would be pretty hard on the team to Fly back today and then turn around and bus back to EW. That gives the team time to lock in and a few days and shoot in Easterns Gym.

heard jerry miller say to deane martin tonight on the coaches show...."see you tomorrow at the bus".....so i'm thinking they came back.....

I'd like to see Martin come back for one simple reason--the defense is back. Whether we matched up well or not, we were dedicated to man-to-man rather than zone. It put more energy on the floor & created opportunities for us. And, the offense created openings for at-the-rim shots. It was more fun to watch and had to be more fun to play. Regardless of what happens, I'd like to say, "Thanks Coach Martin for kick-starting this team & getting us into the tournament." Go Bengals on Saturday in Cheney, WA. Let's kick some Eagle Ass. :thumb:

Evans is behind UM's defensive success, but not known as a great recruiter. He took SUU to the NCAA's 1 time in 15 years, & they have much better facilities than ISU to work with.

Tingey is a knucklehead if he doesn't hire Martin. ISU hasn't made the tournament in how long? He did it with this group who was projected last by the media & coaches. This should be a really simple decision. Jones would be a mistake as USU has had major recruiting miscues that not only affected them this season, but for the next couple, & they have the resources to succeed.

YellowFin said:
Evans is behind UM's defensive success, but not known as a great recruiter. He took SUU to the NCAA's 1 time in 15 years, & they have much better facilities than ISU to work with.

Tingey is a knucklehead if he doesn't hire Martin. ISU hasn't made the tournament in how long? He did it with this group who was projected last by the media & coaches. This should be a really simple decision. Jones would be a mistake as USU has had major recruiting miscues that not only affected them this season, but for the next couple, & they have the resources to succeed.

- Since 2001 Idaho State is 134-192
- Idaho State hasn’t made it to the Big Sky championship game since 1994 and hasn’t won since 1987
- The Bengals have only had six winning seasons in the past 25 years.

I think you go for the coach with the best chance at changing the culture of the team. From talking to the players and seeing practices/games I'd say that Martin has as good of a chance as any at being that person. He'll also be easier to get rid of if he can't because "he's part of the O'Brien coaching tree." Give him a 3 year extension on that contract and see what happens.

The men's basketball team bused to Missoula today where they will spend the night. They'll finish the trip to Cheney on Friday.

If I understood Jerry correctly he said that was ordered by the Big Sky who makes the travel arrangements and pay's the way.

Tough week for the men with all that traveling but at least things are consistent.

The women had to bus to Portland State last year for the tournament because airline tickets were so expensive, remember no one knew where the tournament was going to be held until that final Saturday when ISU beat No. Colorado. That left only four days before the opening round games...that's a serious drawback to the conference insisting that the regular season winner from that season hosts the postseason tournament.

PBP

Big Sky at its finest. Team has to fly back, then bus 3-4 hours in a blizzard yesterday, get here at god knows what time, Practice here, then turn around today and drive to missula, spend the night and bus for two days.

Academics maybe, only allowed the kids to go to class today, they would have missed all day yesterday with the travel back.

It doesn't save that much money. One night in a hotel, thats it. If they had airline tickets...who cares! Deadhead the ISU bus up there yesterday and meet them in cheney. Maybe $1200-$1500 saved to fly back. But if you can refund the airline tickets you make back triple that I would think. Even if you can't that's a small price to pay to give your kids a better chance of getting a tournament road win.

I just don't know why the Big Sky would make them do that?

YellowFin said:

I like all three of the names that we are hearing go around and I think all three have strengths.

With Martin, the recruiting process is already underway. So you can bet he has talent identified and interested. Plus, he seems to have really put the current kids in positions that they can be successful. I would be interested in seeing what % ISU scores after Martin calls timeouts? He knows how to coach and I love the focus on defense. If he has a nice run in the tournament, it will be tough to not hire him. If they get bounced Saturday, I think its a tough proposition.

In my opinion Evans can recruit as well as he has been credited on EGRIZ for being the person that closed the deal on Will Cherry. I looked at the Southern Utah Media Guide on their website and Evans was 8-1 against Idaho State and I remember his teams giving ISU fits. Look at the Montana defense, the games against ISU this season haven't been close. That is to Evan's credit.

Wilson has had some success as well and Oliver's teams had some talent despite the win loss record. His team did beat Utah and gave Utah State fits, so he obviously knows how to coach as well.

Are any of these three the answer? Not without commitment from the administration. As someone eluded to earlier in this thread. All the blame cannot be heaped on the coaches--if ISU wants to be successful they need back this coach like they back Mike Kramer.

Big question on these coaches, can they inspired booster to open their pockets? Kramerisma is hard to come by.

Latest posts

Back