• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Troxel interviewing for UM job, reportedly

Franko

I totally missed this yesterday.

Skyline Sports is reporting that Idaho State offensive coordinator Matt Troxel is interviewing for an assistant coaching job at Montana, his alma mater.

Read the article here: http://skylinesportsmt.com/swett-out-at-montana/

If Troxel does head north to Missoula, Mike Kramer would be looking for his fourth offensive coordinator in as many seasons.

A few more things on Troxel possibly heading to coach for the Grizzlies …

1) An interesting tidbit in the article from Skyline Sports …

”Despite his job title, Troxel’s first game calling plays came during Montana’s 62-44 win over the Bengals in early November.”

For me, that’s a big revelation. Idaho State’s offense finished last in the Big Sky Conference in scoring, total offense and rushing offense. The Bengals were 11th in passing efficiency, and only Sacramento State’s QBs were sacked more than those at ISU.

BUT the Bengals had two of their better offensive performances in the season’s final three weeks. How much of that can be traced to Troxel calling the plays?

Starting with Montana, ISU piled up 520 yards of offense on the road, despite losing Tanner Gueller to an injury. With Gueller still hurt, the Bengals managed 292 yards and 17 points against one of the best teams in the country, Eastern Washington.

Gueller returned against Weber State in the final game of the season, and ISU ripped the Wildcats for 442 yards — 362 of those yards via the arm of Gueller, who also had three touchdowns. Did all of that happen because Troxel may have been in full control of the offense?

2) Idaho State’s offensive coordinators under Mike Kramer …

2011-14: Don Bailey
2015: Sheldon Cross
2016: Matt Troxel
2017: ??

Gueller is entering his redshirt junior season. With four starters along the offensive line returning, plus some solid skill players, the offense should take a step forward in 2017.

But every year Gueller has been in Pocatello, he’s had a different quarterbacks coach. Even more concerning, Cross left Idaho State for a high school coaching gig in Washington. And Troxel is, reportedly, interviewing to be a wide receivers coach at Montana.

3) If Troxel leaves, who is his likely successor? Is it Rob Phenicie, the former offensive coordinator at UNLV and Montana? As clawsout mentioned, Bailey is interesting … but maybe only to ISU fans.

If what Frank is stating is true these are very compelling and revealing issues.

Losing Troxel would suck but is expected. I am not positive but I think he has applied for jobs with the Gris in the past, even during his time at Idaho State.

Right now, I think Kramer's job security may come down to who he hires on offense and how much of the reins he is willing to concede.

....exactly what I was thinking bengalcub.......this IS a VERY important year for ISU football....and Kramer....

Sounds pretty silly to me that Troxel would even think about leaving an o-coordinator job at ISU for just a receivers position at Montana. I know he was a backup wide receiver there and all, but to me it doesn't make sense.

I find this to be very concerning we just lost another offensive coordinator and are starting over again. This program can't be successful with a turnover rate of offensive coordinators like this 3 coordinators in the last three years is insane. Especially since 2 of them left for lower coaching positions than they had at ISU. Hopefully Coach Kramer and Don Bailey can bury the hatchet and Don would return to the program. Another possibility I like would be Tim Cramsey the former OC at Montana State.

Latest posts

Back