• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Turn off the effing lights!

Red Hill

I’m not sure why the football lights were on last night but I hope they turn them off in the future. I prefer the more intimate feel of the basketball lights.

Here's some interesting information from former ISU Sports Information Director Glenn Alford:

"ISU won 90 percent of its home games (verifiable information) with the court in the middle of the turf, between the hashes and between the 30s, and with all the lighting on. It was like playing in a well-lighted airplane hangar. I haven't checked lately, but the last time I did, we were at about 60 percent with the current seating and court configuration and overhead drop lighting."

Using that information, Coach O'Brien said on both the pre-game and post-game shows that he's trying the experiment with more lights to see if it creates a more difficult environment for visiting teams to shoot in. With some football lights on, the far reaches of Holt are visible behind the baskets, creating more "visual traffic" for opponents to deal with. If ISU practices in those conditions all the time, it can become a home-court advantage.

The pertinent question is: "If playing with more lights on helps the Bengals win even one or two more home games each year, wouldn't it be worth it?"

An alternative theory is that the Bengals haven't been consistently good since Jim Killingsworth went to Oklahoma State after 1977. Archibald had a 16-10 season in 77-78 and then things went bad about the same time they moved the court and put the lights up (around 1980?). Was it the lights? Killer leaving? Or some of both?

My vague memory is that another recent coach (Oliver?)tried the lights on theory? Am I correct?

Latest posts

Back