• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Turnovers...

spazdog1

Here's an interesting article, grading the Sac. State game. The stat that jumps out is that thru 6 games this year, the Bengals have given the ball away 23 times. Wow. That's just shy of 4 turnovers per game. How many were turned into points by the opposition? It's hard to win when you give the ball away that many times.

Here's the link...

http://www.journalnet.com/articles/2009/10/12/sports/local/1.txt

I'm curious if there are consequences for turning the ball over, other than riding the pine. I've heard where some programs require ball carriers that leave the ball on the carpet to carry around a football for a week. You know, carry it to class, take it practice (put it down while they are involved in the practice), shower with it, eat while holding it, even taking it to bed with them. If someone sees the player without the ball, stiffer less subtle actions are used such as running stairs or wind sprints while carrying a ball in each hand. It may seem silly, but it gets the message across. Not only is it a remedy for the fumbling player, but other players take notice, too. It re-enforces the need to take care of the ball. The same kinda deal with O-linemen who give up a sack or D-linemen who miss a sure tackle, for example. Rather than carrying a ball around, they take a 10 lb. weight with them. Again, giving the linemen a physical tie into staying focused on their assignments. Does ISU do this? If not, maybe they ought to try. If the Bengals don't give the ball up, their chances of winning improve dramatically. Just look at the Sac. State game.

FWIW... Here are some stats that I pulled from ESPN and ISU's official stat sheets thru 6 games...
ISU has turned the ball over 23 times, their opponents turned it to ISU 13 times (turnovers -10)
ISU has made 15 of 83 (18.07%) third down conversions vs. their opponents' 30 of 77 (38.96%).

Speaking of 3rd down conversions ISU held ASU to 4 of 14 (28.57%) and Oklahoma to 4 of 13 (30.77%) while making 1 of 13 (7.69%) against ASU and 1 of 14 (7.14%) against Oklahoma. What really gets me is that the Bengals gave up 7 of 15 (46.67%) against Central Washington while not converting a single 3rd down in that game (0 of 11 .000%). Wow! ISU did better with the big boys than they did with Central Washington! Here's where the 0-6 really shows... a -10 (minus 10) in turnovers and letting the competition double ISU's third down conversions.

I don't want to be the negative guy here, but Northern Colorado comes into this week's game even on turnovers (11 for opponents and 11 for N. Colorado). Their opponents have 36 of 91 (39.56%) third down conversions while making 31 of 89 (34.83%) for themselves.

Like I said earlier, taking care of the ball makes a huge difference. But you have to convert on third down. The Bengals can dramatically improve if they focus on these two items.

All of those numbers are in every weekly GameNotes packet. FWIW, the only game in the last two years that ISU did not turn the ball over? November 22 vs. Sacramento State, a 36-33 win...

ISU this year not only has allowed at least two turnovers in every game but at least two touchdowns off of turnovers in every game. (The four blocked punts do not count towards that total)

ISUSID

Latest posts

Back