• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Two games in San Diego?

the only way this make sense is if Sac State plans on cancelling 1 if not both of the away games because there’s no guarantees so there would be no buy out. That’s the benefit on having the first home game. With that said, even if that’s the case, this kind of deal is really unnecessary. Sac State vs San Diego should never be a 2 for 1 exchange. Even for recruiting. That’s a potential $350K+ in a “free” away game. San Diego recently played Cal Poly, UCD, SUU, and other MVFC teams and never got this kind of deal. This one is bad on Orr.

Yeah, what are we doing capitulating to a non-schollie Pioneer team? What are we missing? Maybe we are scheduling another OOC game with San Diego State and plan to do a week in San Diego to play both teams one year?

One-for-one CA FCS visits, okay. But this is just weird.

Yeah, what are we doing capitulating to a non-schollie Pioneer team? What are we missing? Maybe we are scheduling another OOC game with San Diego State and plan to do a week in San Diego to play both teams one year?

One-for-one CA FCS visits, okay. But this is just weird.
That’s unlikely unfortunately. It’s more cost effective to fly back than a whole week’s worth of hotel stay in San Diego. My hope is that there is a cancellation or +1 return from San Diego, making it a 4 game series.

It sounds like we are playing two games there in lieu of a guarantee payout for the game in Sacramento. Is it dumb? Yes. But at least there is reasoning.

Searching for other positives... ummm... We get to play two games on Grass? We don't get to play much on Grass.

Let's see.... ummmmm

I got nothing. Major L here.

I don't think this is much of an L if you have family in SD and this give you a reason for a late summer trip to SoCal.

Selfish reasoning aside I don't like that it's a 2 for 1 at their place but let's be honest, these should all be dubs, and nothing better than having an easy road dub early in the season to get the momentum going. A road game against a lesser opponent could be very useful depending on how the rest of the schedules look for those years.

Also at our SDSU trip in '18, there was a good crowd of Hornet alumni at the Alumni Association tailgate. Could be an opportunity to reach out to alums in addition to hitting the recruiting trails during these roadies.

Following up on this, the current roster has 23 of 119 (19%) from SoCal. I included the high desert cities and areas near Santa Barbara in this designation. Playing some roadies at the only FCS program in SoCal, and closest non-BSC FCS program after SUU/UTT, isn't as bad as it sounds.

San Diego beat Cal Poly at Torero Stadium last night. This did not help Cal Poly at all.
Looks like Cal Poly is really going to have some struggles at QB this season. Given the location of the campus and the reputation of the school, it surprises me that they are having trouble turning it around.

Looks like Cal Poly is really going to have some struggles at QB this season. Given the location of the campus and the reputation of the school, it surprises me that they are having trouble turning it around.
Their AD botched their HC hire. When a renown university like Cal Poly doesn't bother doing a national recruitment/search and just hands the job to the nearest guy standing around, you get these kinds of results. We've been there, if anyone understands what they are going through, it's us. Thank you President Nelsen and AD Orr for breaking the cycle.

Huh? Thompson and Fresques was a national search? Pretty much did the same thing as SLO.
Taylor hired those two, and Nelsen and Orr conducted a national search (their words, not mine) that ultimately landed him here. After 3 BSC titles, it was a no brainer to promote from within.

At Cal Poly, they were at the opposite end of the success spectrum from which they hired from within. You don't hire next man up when your program sucks, and they are learning that the hard way...which is what we had to do with the Sears era.

Huh? Thompson and Fresques was a national search? Pretty much did the same thing as SLO.
Cal Poly made a mistake when they hired Baldwin. They magnified that mistake by shifting to Wolff because it was the easy thing to do. Sac State went with Thompson following an unprecedented run of success. You are delusional if you think the two situations are the same.

Cal Poly made a mistake when they hired Baldwin. They magnified that mistake by shifting to Wolff because it was the easy thing to do. Sac State went with Thompson following an unprecedented run of success. You are delusional if you think the two situations are the same.
He is confusing the comparisons. My initial reference was our Sperbeck to Sears succession, which was a lazy and ill fated move. I was not referencing the Taylor to Thompson succession. The Baldwin to Wolff succession by Cal Poly was akin to our Sperbeck to Sears move. Both instances featured incompetence by the AD in a lack of due diligence in finding qualified candidates during the hiring process.

Latest posts

Back