• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Updated Depth Chart

Skippy

It's been a long time since ISU has had five recruiting commitments in place by the first day of the late signing period. Here's a look at the roster so far, with more work still to be done:

C--Ayibakuro Preh, Ajak Magot, Andrej Slavik (Preh and Magot appear to be very similar in style -- long, rangy defenders and shot blockers with very limited offensive games. Slavik will come as in as a 4-5 who, we are told, can shoot and pass from the high post.)

PF--Andre Hatchett, Jeff Solarin, Slavik. (Hatchett was the most improved Bengal last year. He's undersized for the power forward position, but figured out how to use his athleticism to be effective. Solarin has a history of production -- 18 ppg and 14 rpg in high school, 17 ppg with 9 rebounds in JC. He'll get playing time, probably at both the 3 and 4 spots. Slavik can play both the center and PF positions).

SF--Nnamdi Ezenwa, Solarin, Justin Smith, Scott Tyler. (Ezenwa is a very athletic defender who is limited offensively, but will get a chance because of his experience and physical gifts. Solarin appears to be more of a back-to-the basket type -- he only took four 3s and made one last year in JC, so he'll slide between the 3 and 4. Smith is very athletic and can play either wing spot based on what I saw of him in the Colorado state championship game. In the video I've seen of Tyler, he also looks like someone who can play either the two or the three.)

SG--Chris Hansen, Tyler, Smith, ???. (Hansen had a very nice sophomore season, and played quite a bit at the 3. He's the Bengals' best pure shooter, but does he have the athleticism to defend at the 2 spot for long periods of time? Tyler, at 6-7, seems like a natural fit at the top of the Bengals 2-3 zone -- if he stays active, he could create a lot of steals from that position. Smith is probably more suited for the SF spot, where he can use his quick jumping ability to hit the boards. I expect the Bengals to sign another player to compete at this spot).

PG--Tomas Sanchez. (The Bengals' leader and most competitive player, Sanchez had a nice junior season, capped by a couple of game-winning shots. ISU definitely needs to recruit a backup here, and Nick Mason's rumorered transfer would allow them to theoretically take two -- a freshman to groom long-term, and a JC to step in immediately.).

This post made sense to me Skippy. There will be a great deal of new faces.

I wonder if Sage Burmeister will fit into the point guard rotation?

I have a genuine feeling that Evans is going to get this hoops program turned around. ISU was so limited offensively last year. Yet, they bought into the zone concept and on most nights they played very good defensively. Defensive effort is about desire, heart and commitment. It takes a special set of players to play unselfishly.

If Evans can convince a team without a ton of talent to buy into his defensive philosophy (unselfishness)there is little doubt in my mind that in the next few years this program will improve a great deal.

The future of the program and the success of the program will live or die with the growth and maturation of the HS kids.

I am beyond optimistic.

I forgot about Burmeister, Cub. He'll definitely get a chance to compete for time -- in looking at his film, he strikes me as a combo guard, more of a "scoring point," if you will. I don't know how much of a factor he'll be as a freshman and I worry about his "split focus" between basketball and football impacting his development. But the kid's definitely an athlete.

How is it going to work with Sage Burmeister? Will ISU create a release for his signing as well? How does his scholarship work? Is it split between the two programs, does one program give him a scholarship one year, and then the other program the next year?

Basketball can't split up scholarships. So I'm guessing football is covering his scholly. I think he signed with the football team with the agreement he could walk on in basketball. I could be wrong though.

sasquatch said:
How is it going to work with Sage Burmeister? Will ISU create a release for his signing as well? How does his scholarship work? Is it split between the two programs, does one program give him a scholarship one year, and then the other program the next year?

Under NCAA rules, if a player plays football and another sport, the scholarship counts against football. As I understand it, Burmeister will redshirt in football next fall, but still take part in camp and practice. Then he'll be released to basketball at some point to begin practice. I don't know if that will be when basketball starts practice, after the football season is over, etc.

Latest posts

Back