• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Vandals Apparently on Their Way

Here's an announcement about their upcoming press conference regarding their apparent move to drop down to Division 1-AA. I'll be really happy about this if this is the case.

MOSCOW, Idaho – April 27, 2016
WHAT: UI President Chuck Staben will make an announcement regarding UI’s football conference affiliation. Staben, Athletic Director Rob Spear and Head Football Coach Paul Petrino will be available to answer questions.
WHEN: 10 a.m. (PST), Thursday, April 28, 2016
WHERE: ASUI-Kibbie Activity Center, Team Room C
RSVP: By 8 a.m. Thursday, April 28, to [email protected] or 208-885-4295. Indicate if you will be on site, live streaming or on the phone.
Methods of Delivery:
In person in the Kibbie Dome, Team Room C
Live stream at uidaho.edu/news/ui-live
AT&T will host the call for those members of the media wanting to ask questions.
800-288-8976

The downside of an Idaho move back to FCS is that they'll be more active in recruiting Idaho kids and will be competing with ISU for many of the same players. In recent years, Idaho has pretty much given up recruiting in Idaho, especially Eastern Idaho, which used to be an Idaho stronghold.

Another thing to consider is the future of a 14-team Big Sky. Will the conference splinter into two different leagues, as Ron Loghry suggested earlier, to assure two playoff spots? If so, where will Idaho State wind up? We want to be in the same league as the other "originals" -- the Montana schools and Weber. We'd have to protect our standing and make sure we don't wind up in a league with the newbies.

Lots of implications to all this and it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

From a history, geography and fan standpoint Idaho returning makes complete and total sense.

Brad brings up valid points from an ISU perspective.

And the splitting into two leagues idea really isn't Ron's, it's Fullerton's he's talked about it publicly for the last few years.

PBP

Fullerton has talked about one league with two divisions: FCS and FBS. Loghry was recently quoted about two distinct conferences, both FCS, with one keeping the Big Sky name and another having a distinct identity. This was the first I'd heard of that concept. Although it's entirely possible it is Fullerton's idea.

Fullerton will be departing soon, so if Idaho does indeed rejoin the league, it will be his last hurrah. Again, there are a lot of implications to all this and ISU will have to be vigilant in making sure it protects its interests.

There are quite a few posters here who have noticed the anger that I've had towards the U of I over the years. But mainly that's because of their attitude that the posters on their board have of thinking of ISU as little brother, and the ensuing arguments that I've had with many of them on their board. But honestly, in a way I really respect the fact of how hard they've fought over the last 20 years to try to compete at the highest level. They've done absolutely everything possible to try to compete at the FBS level, even when EVERYONE knew how much of a mistake it was when they moved up to FBS 20 years ago only because BSU was moving up.

And Idaho doesn't have anything to be ashamed by moving down, although they'll be the very first school to do so. Many of their posters on their board are extremely upset about their president's decision to move down, and many of them have stated that they'll never support the university again and that they need to fire their president right away. To them that's the same as ISU moving down to compete at the D-2 level. But in all fairness to President Staben, I really don't think that most of their posters realize how difficult it is to try to compete at the FBS level, when you look at the resources that they have to work with. This year ISU plays money games at Colorado and Oregon State, and I would venture to guess that we'd make at least $400,000 or so from each school to play them (I'll be at the CU game). And even with those games we're just barely breaking even to pay all of our expenses, and we've got one of the lowest athletic department budgets in all of the Big Sky. So you could imagine how difficult things are for Idaho to compete at the FBS level when their football attendance figures aren't that much more than ISU's.

Recruiting and booster support will probably suffer for the next few years or so while they make the transition, this isn't an easy thing for any school to try to do. They really feel that their academic status will suffer greatly by having their football team move down. But in the long run this will prove to be a very good decision, they'll be competitive in this league and we'll renew a good instate rivalry with them.

Another aspect that prompts deep thought is how will scholarship football players at ISU feel and react about dropping back down to the FCS level? How many that joined the program during the past two years will try and transfer to FBS programs rather than drop down during their last year or two of play? Also, how much more will this move impact FB recruiting and make it even more difficult to compete during the Vandal's final two years of play at the FBS level? How many of their coaches may leave? All are tough questions that had to be considered with this move.

I suspect this will be a complete rebuilding project for Idaho. Their fan base is extremely alienated right now, at least based on what you see on their board. I would have to think Petrino and his staff will all begin looking for new jobs immediately. I would think the NCAA would make provisions to allow players to transfer to other FBS schools and be eligible immediately. And Idaho would not be eligible for the FCS playoffs for a specified time as they drop down. So you're probably looking at a pretty bleak three or four-year transition period.

Brad:

Well basically that's been the case there for most of the last 20 years hasn't it? (i.e. bleak period?)

By the way, it's now "official":

OGDEN, Utah (April 28, 2016) - The University of Idaho announced today it will accept an invitation to play football in the Big Sky Conference beginning in fall 2018, pending approval by the State Board of Education.

“I understand the magnitude of this decision and the strong opinions that surround it, both for and against, but joining the Big Sky Conference is the best possible course for our athletics program and for our university,” said Chuck Staben, UI president. “We have carefully weighed our options and concluded that competing as an independent with an extremely uncertain future conference affiliation would be irresponsible when we have the alternative of joining one of the most stable FCS conferences. The Big Sky allows us to renew traditional rivalries and offers our athletes the opportunity to excel, just as they do in our other Big Sky sports programs.”

Idaho was notified by the Sun Belt in March that the conference would move forward with a 10-team league after the 2017 football season, not renewing the membership of UI and New Mexico State University. UI will play in the Sun Belt two more seasons, moving to the Big Sky for the fall 2018 season.

“I know many passionate Vandals view football’s place in the FBS as a mark of our institution’s ‘prestige’ and ‘relevance.’ But we consider prestige and relevance in an institution-wide context,” Staben said. “UI is our state’s land-grant institution, the unquestioned statewide leader in higher education. Success on the football field will complement UI’s prestige and relevance, but we will be defined by our individual and societal impact, measured by the entire student body experience, including our student-athletes; our academic excellence; our research, scholarly and creative success; and our deep engagement with communities across the state. Providing the best student experience for all students, across all aspects of university life is our responsibility and privilege.”

Big Sky commissioner Doug Fullerton said the conference is excited about adding Idaho's football program to the Big Sky Conference.

"The Big Sky Conference is excited about the University of Idaho joining the league in football,” Fullerton said. “We think that, given Idaho’s DNA of excellence, they will make our football programs better, and our football product better.”

Idaho athletic director Rob Spear said the Vandals' goals of remaining competitive on the field will remain the same, regardless of conference alignment.

”We are extremely motivated to compete in the Sun Belt for the next two years and then align with like institutions that make geographic sense in the Big Sky Conference that will provide our student-athletes with a quality experience,” he said.

“We have two years to position our athletics department to best serve our students and provide the quality co-curricular benefits we expect from Vandal athletics,” Staben said. “We will be successful in the Big Sky Conference and will build a vibrant football culture that is an excellent front porch for our university.”

The University of Idaho played football in the Big Sky Conference from 1965-1995, winning nine conference championships.

All UI sports left the Big Sky in 1996, with most other sports other than football returning in 2014. The Vandal football team has played in the Sun Belt since 2014, its second run in the conference since leaving the Big Sky."

PBP

The Idaho "fans" who want no more to do with Vandal football will not be missed. Those of you who have been around before their 'glorious' move to FBS know what I am referring to. Culling the fan 'herd' of this garbage will only make UI better, eventually, and definitely MORE RESPECTED. BSU fans know the UI "fan" all too well.

After watching the press conference, I'm surprised there weren't questions from members of the media in Big Sky cities. There wasn't any mention of two separate conferences for football, but the president did say that the Big Sky is looking at other members -- and UI's response by May 4th guarantees them a spot in the conference. Rob Spear also said they would be at 63 scholarships for the 2018 season, so I assume they would be playoff eligible (but possibly making the 2017 season an ugly one). They also said the NCAA told them standard transfer rules will apply...

I wonder who those other members could be? I mean it's not like they have a ton of options and why would they do that unless there are serious plans to split into two leagues.

The next few years certainly will be interesting that's for sure.

PBP

Stories on this from the Idaho Statesman:

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/university-of-idaho/article74425842.html

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/university-of-idaho/article74259832.html

Apparently they spoke with Mike Kramer in the second link.

PBP

PBP said:
I wonder who those other members could be? I mean it's not like they have a ton of options and why would they do that unless there are serious plans to split into two leagues.

The next few years certainly will be interesting that's for sure.

PBP
I would think New Mexico State might be one under consideration.

BTW I looked at the annual report Idaho makes to the state board and the most football players they have had on scholarship over the past five years is 71, so getting down to 63 should be fairly easy.

Excellent story today in the Idaho State Journal talking about Idaho coming back for football and its implications for ISU. They speak with Kramer, Tingey and Fullerton. Just my impression but from Fullerton's comments it sure sounds like he wants to split the league into two leagues along North / South lines. If that happens that would be a brutal league / conference for ISU.

Here is the story:

The University of Idaho confirmed in a press conference Thursday its football program will accept an invitation to become a member of the Big Sky Conference in 2018.

“While I understand the magnitude of this decision and the strong opinions that surround it,” said Idaho President Chuck Staben, “I am confident that the Big Sky Conference is the best possible choice for our football program and for our student-athletes.”

Currently, Idaho football is affiliated with the Sun Belt Conference. All other Vandal varsity sports are members of the Big Sky. On March 1, the Sun Belt Conference announced it would not renew its contracts with Idaho and New Mexico State following the 2017 season. Idaho was a member of the Big Sky from 1965-1995 and has since been a member of four conferences and was independent for one season (2013).

"It took 20 years for Idaho to come to its senses,” said Idaho State head football coach Mike Kramer, who played football at the University of Idaho from 1972-75. “As an alumnus and as a football coach, it’s great to see a regional university like the University of Idaho come to its economic sense and say, ‘Hey, football’s important to us and we’ll play at the Big Sky level.’”

To meet FCS standards, Idaho must go from 85 scholarships, which is how many the FBS level allows, to the FCS requirement of 63. Idaho’s administration has a two-year plan in place to meet that number.

“To be eligible for the playoffs, we have to be at 63 scholarships,” said University of Idaho Athletic Director Rob Spear. “We’ll be able to accommodate the needs of our current football student-athletes and also ensure we’re going to be able to replenish the program for the future.”

Idaho is the first ever program to drop from the Football Bowl Subdivision into the Football Championship Subdivision. The Vandals are 5-18 since joining the Sun Belt in 2014. UI’s addition to the Big Sky ups the number of football teams in the Big Sky to 14, a figure that’s becoming fairly sizable for the league. That’s not including the invitation extended to New Mexico State, which has yet to make a decision whether or not to accept and join the Big Sky.

“Frankly, we’re pretty big,” said Big Sky commissioner Doug Fullerton. “Fourteen teams is a large number, and we’re fairly diverse. If you continue to try and just play under one umbrella, one banner, you have a tendency to run the risk of splitting the league.”

The Big Sky has discussed ways to circumvent the issue of a large conference with not enough postseason berths. One solution could be to split the conference into two divisions. That, however, wouldn’t necessarily solve the league’s issue regarding postseason berths.

The other solution, Fullerton says, would be to split the Big Sky into two separate football conferences.

“It would give us, quite frankly, more political power in the selection process,” Fullerton said. “We’d be in two leagues, and right now there’s one lone league sitting in the west. Oftentimes in the selection process, we feel that. We can tell we’re one lone league sitting in the west.”

Fullerton continued: “You’d have an automatic berth on each side, and because you wouldn’t be beating each other up and putting all those losses on everybody’s resume, you’re probably going to get at least three teams out of each league. Last year, we got three teams out of a 13-team league, and that would take six out of 14 (teams). So you can see it makes a big difference.”

If the Big Sky is to split, it’s unclear exactly where Idaho State will fit in. For travel reasons, Fullerton likes the idea of a north/south split. Including Idaho, the seven northernmost football teams in the Big Sky are North Dakota, Eastern Washington, Montana, Montana State, Idaho, Portland State and Idaho State — with the Bengals being the farthest south of those seven. The southernmost teams would be Weber State, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah, Sacramento State, Cal Poly, UC Davis and Northern Arizona.

Idaho’s re-entrance into the Big Sky could also impact Idaho State’s recruiting. As a member of the Sun Belt, Idaho has its hands in places like Texas and Southern California. But as Idaho shifts back to the Big Sky, Kramer could see the Vandals dipping more into their own region.

“I’m sure over time that will change,” Kramer said. “Idaho will go back to be a strength in recruiting in the Pacific Northwest and in the state of Idaho, particularly western Idaho and in the Boise area. ... I think it’ll just depend on their coaching staff, what their philosophy is. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find Idaho back in the state of Idaho in a big way and in eastern Washington and western Washington in a big way.”

Despite the possible rejiggering of the Big Sky and another potential adversary for Idaho State on the recruiting front, by and large, the University of Idaho’s drop to the FCS level was met positively.

“Idaho proves a great regional competitor as an original member of the Big Sky,” said Idaho State Director of Athletics Jeff Tingey. “It’s nice to welcome them back and to give us great competition. I know that when they left, they were one of the top programs in the Big Sky. We expect them to stay in that same place, so it should be a great competitor to have back.”

----------------------

For this to happen though, the conference would have to get the schools to agree on a split which is something they weren't able to do regarding basketball, which is why they aren't in two divisions. It's going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

PBP

President Staben voices his reasons in a very well-thought out piece:

https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2016/04/29/idaho-president-explains-why-his-university-abandoning-football-arms-race-essay

I'm looking forward to having the Vandals back in the Holt for football. This was long overdue.

Regarding a potential (and IMO a ridiculous idea) split of the BigSky for the sake of more power in the selection process, I feel that it could have been avoided had we not been so expansion happy: there's no reason why we needed to take in Cal Poly/UC Davis, and we should have withdrawn our offer to North Dakota when South Dakota faltered at the last minute. Call me old-fashioned, but I still believe conferences need to make geographic sense.

Skippy said:
You're old fashioned Ross. -:)

I do my best ;)

As an aside, while I am overall opposed to splitting the conference (I feel we need to cut some teams out), a poster on eGriz did have a pretty good idea for a split: splitting the conference (football-only) while keeping the makeup of the conference for everything else, but along the lines of an Intermountain/Pacific split, instead of a North/South one. The football-only split would go something like this:

BigSky Conference:

Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
Northern Colorado
Weber State

Pacific Coast Conference:

Cal Poly
Eastern Washington
UC Davis
Sacramento State
Northern Arizona
Portland State
Southern Utah

That's pretty neat and tidy, and if it were football-only, I think that would be the best scenario for a split. Unless if New Mexico State joins up. Then we have a problem.

Latest posts

Back