• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Very Disappointed so far

Skippy

Not in the scoreboard, but in all the self inflicted wounds: horrible clock management, including two wasted timeouts, two delay of games and failure to run 59 seconds off clock at the end of the half; dropped passes, false start penalties and ole tackling form. There have been some glimmers of hope, but the execution has a l-o-n-g way to go.

I don't get that disappointed anymore; I'm totally resigned and hopeless before the game begins.

At least Utah isn't taking it easy on ISU: fake puts, timeouts at the end of the first half. :lol:

Sure, there were some mistakes, and special teams struggled, but this is week one against a Pac-12 team. I'm very encouraged overall. This is the year we turn the corner.

The Bengals cleaned things up a bit in the second half, but the gap in athleticism was painfully obvious on special teams. Liked the running game tonight. Looked like we managed to escape without serious injury. Too bad we have to play Utah State next week. I think we're feeling pretty good about ourselves now, it would be a good time to play someone on our own level .

Probably better to kick it toward the sidelines on punts and swig kicks on kick offs. Speed will make us pay every time.

I am glad to see the us play the two money games at the beginning of the season. Get the money and get ready for the BSC season.

I'm very undisappointed with some obvious improvements. Offensive line moved some folks enough on a Pac12 team to get over a hundred yards for the X-Man, even without Skylar Phillips playing. Looking for it to all come together by Big Sky Time.

I think to say you are "very disappointed" is kind of harsh. I attended the game and while I was disappointed in some aspects of the game I was mostly enthused by what I saw. Special teams obviously need to tackle better - but Kaelin Clay is the "real deal". He's big, he's physical and he's fast, and I think his athleticism was tough for the Bengals to defend. I think our receivers are going to get better - they dropped some balls they should've caught and they really need to run better routes and get separation, but they are young and they will get better. I thought Arias was very poised - he threw some good balls and made some good decisions - he did have some clock management issues but it is the first game of the season in front of 46000 fans in a tough environment, give the guy a break. After the first couple of series the offense settled in and did a good job of managing the line of scrimmage. Xavier Finney was very good! I thought he ran well and was one of the most consistent players on the field for either team.

Utah's skill guys really made it tough for the Bengals. They were able to get them in the open field and they showcased their talents. I doubt we'll see a lot of those type of players in the Big Sky - those we do see we need to defend better, and I think we will. The speed of the game last night was something I think is hard to duplicate in a practice situation - hopefully now we know what to expect and we can be better prepared for it.

Yeah, we lost big, but as I was walking out of the stadium I was proud to be a Bengal supporter. I think the guys showed some heart and left feeling good about themselves. Will we beat Utah State? Probably not but I'll bet we complete and show improvement from last night.

Go Bengals!

There are some major areas of concern, I would concede that. But I saw enough improvement to give me some hope. The offensive line did a nice job getting some push in the running game and that alone got me excited about the offense. How many times have we see ISU run that well in the last 5-10 years even. Arias played smart and efficient. He wasn't going to have the time to go down field very often because of the Ute pass rush.

Defensively, I saw some glimmers. Utah had a large number of play go in excess of 20 yards. But I don't think ISU will see athletes as skilled in the same quantity of Utah and Utah State. They missed a ton of tackles a number of times I saw ISU have the play diagnosed and someone was there to make the stop but missed the tackle.

On special teams--jeez it was a disaster. But I don't think that it is going to be a norm to give up two returns for a score and to have a chip shot field goal blocked, let alone have it blocked by a guy that never even got touched.

I am not predicting big things from this team and I believe they will get rolled at Utah State. But as of right now, I think this team will be better. Four to five wins would not surprise me nor would one or two.

Ute fan here. I have no dog in the fight, so my perspective might be helpful. It is not all doom and gloom for ISU. You have a very skilled and mature QB that protects the ball and looks to be able to make all of the throws. At least one of the WRs has very good speed and it seemed all of the WRs caught everything they should have. The RB will have a good season, especially behind those big hogs on the OL. Even the bad is not so bad. You will not face a returner as fast as Clay. Out in the internet somewhere there is a video showing Clay running the last 100M in a relay race in HS starting 3m behind DeAnthony Thomas (Oregon fame) and handily beating him. You probably won't run into a WR as fast as Anderson; same for a bag fast RB in Booker. The D did not play badly. I won't make a prediction for ISU because I don't follow the BSC, but your team is considerably better than last year's team. So buck up and enjoy your season.

I know it can't be easy seeing your team lose by 42 points, but I just want stop by and tell you guys there you have a lot to be proud about.

Your QB looks great; he has great poise, limits mistakes by making good decisions and went into a tough, hostile environment and played pretty good. The O-line around him look stout and will keep him upright and give him time to throw. All this without a starter on the O-line.

As has been stated prior, I wouldn't be too hard on your special teams, Kaelin Clay is the real deal. He has elite speed and will probably be doing this to PAC-12 special teams this season.

Take it from a Utah fan, I was really surprised by the fight the Bengals gave. Yes the score was 56-14, but your team never just rolled over and gave up.

After the USU game I think you guys are set to have a pretty surprisingly good season.

I'll be rooting for you the rest of the way.

Go Utes!

A reasonable assessment from the Ute fans. Yet, one of you all said to buck up. Please realize, the folks that still post have been bucking it up for years. No bandwagon fans here.

I was impressed with RES on TV; I have not observed the stadium since I was a student in the late 90's; things have clearly changed. WOW! It is tough to give an assessment of the Utes but it was probably all vanilla.... thus, not much to say. These games don't reveal much... but, I would love to see a EWU-Utah game for a better barometer of the BSC.

Best of luck the rest way, Whit is a class act and we love our coaches with Utah connections.

Latest posts

Back