• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

VOLLEYBALL IS GOING DANCING!!!

ash_sk8s

http://goviks.com/news/2010/11/27/WVB_1127103311.aspx

PORTLAND, Ore. – Portland State is going back to the NCAA tournament.

After losing a two-set lead, the Vikings hung on for a 3-2 victory over second-seeded Northern Colorado in the Big Sky Championship match on Saturday night at the Stott Center, to earn the league's automatic bid into the NCAA tourney.

Set scores were 25-22, 25-18, 23-25, 19-25, 15-12.

The top-seeded Vikings (21-8) appeared to be on their way to an easy victory after leading for much of the first two sets, but faltered in sets three and four to turn the match into a nailbiter.

"What an exciting final," said Vikings fourth-year Head Coach Michael Seemann. "I thought we did a good job of establishing ourselves right off the bat. Northern Colorado did a great job of making adjustments and pushing us back the next two sets."

Northern Colorado scored three of the first four points of the deciding set before Portland State finally got back on track. A kill by Whitney Phillips and a Bears' attack error tied it up. With the score at 6-6, Portland State scored two in a row for a two-point advantage. UNC got to within one at 10-9, but eventually the Vikings would earn the victory and extend their season on a kill by freshman Aubrey Mitchell from the right pin.

"I thought the fifth set was a battle. I felt we had some timely blocks at the end there that swayed it in our favor. We also served tougher there in that last set to get them out of system," Seemann said.

Portland State jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first frame and eventually went up 6-1 on a service ace by Alexa Rosendale. Later, a kill by Rosendale made it 15-10 and Northern Colorado called a timeout. The Bears slowed clawed their way back into it and eventually tied it at 20 all after a Portland State attack error. The teams traded points before Portland State scored three straight on a kill by Lana Zielke, another ace by Rosendale and a bad swing by UNC. Two points later, Phillips finished it off for the Vikings with a kill from the left side.

The Bears didn't let Portland State open a big lead in the next set and led 10-8 after back-to-back attack errors by the Vikings. But, PSU responded with four consecutive points to go in front and they never trailed again.

Northern Colorado answered back after the break, registering only three attack errors after committing a combined 16 over the first two sets. The Bears led for much of the third stanza, but PSU was able to tie it up midway through at 16-16. While the Vikings were able to stay within two the rest of the way, they never could quite catch the Bears.

UNC (24-7) kept it going in the forth set and after an early 1-1 tie, they would hold the lead from there.

In the end, though, Portland State came out on top on its home floor, extending their winning streak over Big Sky foes at the Stott Center to 20 straight matches. It was also PSU's ninth straight win of the season.

Phillips was tabbed as the tourney MVP after registering 17 kills and 22 digs. She was joined on the all-tournament team by Zielke (11 kills/4 blocks) and Garyn Schlatter (43 assists/7 kills/4 blocks).

Northern Colorado's Ashley Lichtenberg led all players with 20 kills and was named to the all-tournament team as was Ashley Lichtenberg, who had 15 kills and five blocks.

The Vikings will learn their fate for the NCAA tournament tomorrow at 12 p.m. The selection show will air on ESPNews and the PSU Athletic Department will host a viewing party at the downtown Buffalo Wild Wings.

NOTES: Portland State also advanced to the NCAA tournament in 2008. They have played for the Big Sky Championship in each of the past four seasons ... Rosendale finished with a double-double, tallying 15 digs and 10 kills. Christie Hamilton added 10 kills and five blocks ... after starting the year 3-6, PSU has gone 18-2 since ... the Vikings took all three matches from UNC this season. The Bears defeated PSU in last season's Big Sky Championship match ... over the past four years under Seemann, Portland State has won three regular season titles (2007, 2009, 2010) and two tournament championships (2008, 2010) ... also named to the all-tournament team were Montana's Jaimie Thibeault and Idaho State's Britta Bartschi-Rhodehouse.

PORTLAND, Ore. – Cheers erupted inside the downtown Portland Buffalo Wild Wings at 12:17 p.m., today when it was announced that the Portland State volleyball team will play against 15th-seeded Hawaii in the first round of the 2010 NCAA tournament.

The Vikings and Rainbow Wahine will meet up on Thursday, Dec. 2, in Seattle, Wash. In the other first round matchup at Bank of America Arena, host Washington will take on Michigan.

"I thought it was a good draw for us," said PSU fourth-year Head Coach Michael Seemann about his initial thoughts when he saw the bracket on the television screen. "We have seen Washington before and we were prepared to play them. But it's exciting to play a team from a different conference and certainly an exciting team at that and a very good team."

Added senior middle blocker Christie Hamilton: "I was excited when I saw it come up that we get to play Hawaii because we have never played them before.

"We accomplished both of our goals this season. This is the first year that we have ever won the regular season title and the conference championship. It's just kind of icing on top of the cake to be able to go to the NCAA tournament in my final year. This is a huge experience and to be able to do it twice in my four years here is awesome."

Portland State (21-8) is making its second appearance in the NCAA DI tournament. They also advanced in 2008, losing to Washington in Seattle.

The Vikings are riding a nine-match winning streak after earning the Big Sky's automatic bid last night with a 3-2 victory over Northern Colorado in the conference tournament.

Hawaii (28-2) was ranked third in last week's AVCA Division I Coaches Top 25 Poll. The Rainbow Wahine entered the Western Athletic Conference tournament this past weekend with a 23-match and 62-set winning streak, but were swept by Utah State in the championship contest. That loss ended their streak of 10 straight WAC tourney titles.

Seemann says that he doesn't know much about Hawaii, except the fact that they are perennially one of the nation's top teams.

"I don't know a whole lot about them. I know they have Brittany Hewitt, a senior middle who helped them get to the semis last year. She's very punchy and a good-sized middle blocker. I know they are going to handle the ball well and that they are just a solid team."

Hawaii has won four national titles, including NCAA championships in 1982, 1983 and 1987, and an AIAW title in 1979 under 36th-year Head Coach Dave Shoji. They have now made the postseason in 35 of his 36 years, not qualifying in 1992. They have advanced past the first round every year since 1999 and lost in the semifinals last year to eventual national champion Penn State.

Times for Thursday's matches have not been set. Once they are announced they will be posted on the PSU volleyball schedule page on GoViks.com.

NOTES: The Vikings are 0-4 all-time against Hawaii, having last played in 1987. They also met up in 1980 and twice in 1982 ... PSU is 3-3 against WAC schools under Seemann, but 0-2 this season ... in a ironical side note, the PSU women's basketball team is hosting Hawaii on Thursday in Portland.

At least it's not Washington again! It's a great opportunity, playing Hawaii. Congrats, vikes, on a supurb season!

This is still a great opportunity for the Lady Viks to play some big-time competition without it being the same old run-of-the-mill teams like Oregon and Washington. Hawai'i unis have a look very similar to PSU's own. I hope the Lady Viks will experience this game well and gain from it deeply.

Viks drop the first set to Hawai'i, 23-25...we had as much as a 2 point lead at times, it stayed tied or with one team one point ahead for most of the set. Not too shabby!

Great match! We played them even two sets out of three, which is pretty damn good against a #7! Totally respectable. Noteworthy - we were heavily out-blocked. Do the majors take all the tall recruits?? Next year lots of rebuilding around setter Schlatter - libero, an OH to replace Phillips, and some TALL MBs.

pdxfan said:
Great match! We played them even two sets out of three, which is pretty damn good against a #7! Totally respectable. Noteworthy - we were heavily out-blocked. Do the majors take all the tall recruits?? Next year lots of rebuilding around setter Schlatter - libero, an OH to replace Phillips, and some TALL MBs.

It's a good thing 3/4 recruits signed already are over 6 foot! We definitely need to get some more height!

Latest posts

Back