• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Walker and Maker Now Official

Skippy

I noted that Bill Evans calls Maker a "terrific shooter," which surprises me because his numbers (39 percent overall, 30 percent from 3) weren't great last year. But I'll defer to coach. I also like the fact that Maker finished his JUCO career on a hot streak -- averaged 18.5 points over his last eight games. Unfortunately Walker was headed in the opposite direction, rarely getting off the bench at the end of his JUCO tenure.

http://www.isubengals.com/news/2018/5/16/walker-and-maker-join-bengal-mens-basketball-program.aspx

Skippy said:
I noted that Bill Evans calls Maker a "terrific shooter," which surprises me because his numbers (39 percent overall, 30 percent from 3) weren't great last year. But I'll defer to coach. I also like the fact that Maker finished his JUCO career on a hot streak -- averaged 18.5 points over his last eight games. Unfortunately Walker was headed in the opposite direction, rarely getting off the bench at the end of his JUCO tenure.

http://www.isubengals.com/news/2018/5/16/walker-and-maker-join-bengal-mens-basketball-program.aspx

Another big man from Sudan that Evans can start and then pull after 3 minutes, just like he did with Ajok.
There is absolutely no excitement for or anticipation of another season of ISU MBB. None with this cast of characters.

Another big man from Sudan that Evans can start and then pull after 3 minutes, just like he did with Ajok.
There is absolutely no excitement for or anticipation of another season of ISU MBB. None with this cast of characters. [/quote]

Not trying to troll, honestly curious. What are your solutions to the situation? (And they aren't going to let Bill go with one year remaining on his contract, that's a given...)

PBP

Bengals were fun to watch last year and they return three of their best players in Stutzman, Boyd and Moscan. Haven’t seen any of the new recruits play so it remains to be seen how all of this will play out. But I’m thinking if they stay healthy they should still be an entertaining lot.

Disagree whole heartedly that there is no reason for optimism this coming year. With Boyd Mocsan and Stutzman that is arguably the best back court in the league. I will agree these new signs are not much to get excited about. I’m afraid we are missing out on that big sign we needed to go to that next level. Don’t know who should get the blame for that. Do we have any more scholarships to give? One big sign could change everything. Still think with the past guys we got we will be very competitive.

Let’s be honest here any high school or JC players that’s 6’7 to 7’0 that has averages 8 to 10 pts. and 3 to 4 rebounds is going to sign with a PAC 12 or BIG 10 schools. Remember we got Novak a few years back and he averaged 1 point in high school, if he had averaged 8 tob10 he would have never been on the ISU campus. Lets give credit to the coaching staff with the players they have signed. We have a pretty good roster returning Gary is healthy Boyd and Stutzman and Moscan should be better. The new addition will add athleticism and depth were in the best position we’ve been in years. Let’s just hope someone steps up as a TEAM LEADER and keeps the chemistry good, Boyd and Stutzman are going to play key roles for the Bengals they are returning All Confernce players and the team will follow their lead.

It’s time we get behind these Coaches and Players and support them, I have a very good feeling about this team and the up coming season. As fans we should try and travel and give them the following and support that’s how we can help recruit for the future and show our team we’re behind them.

I agree with some of what Hank42 says just really disappointed that the new staff seemingly duplicate the trend of getting better players. I hope I’m wrong and these new guys are to the level of what they were getting. But if Gary gets a chance and they have those other guards watch out! I too have high hopes.

If I had to rate the new recruits today strictly based on what we’ve read about them and not having seen any of them play, according to potential “upside” this is how i’d rate them:
1.Legardy— May not get eligible or ever play a game for Idaho State, but if he does I love his potential as a scorer. Prototypical Big Sky guard, put up big numbers against decent competition in Las Vegas, was all-State first team. As a freshmen he could give Brandon Boyd type explosiveness off the bench.
2. Udengwu—Intriguing length and versatility, gets to the free throw line a lot, good passer and good rebound numbers in JC. Probably not much of a shooter, certainly not a three-point threat based on JC numbers.
3. Maker—high volume shooter with low percentages, but finished his JC career on a big roll. Who is the real Maker? Bengals need more rebounding and defense, and less offensive free-lancing from his position so we’ll see if he can conform to his role.
4. Walker—Another player who needs to understand his role —defense and rebounding. Appears to be very athletic, which would be a big boost to this roster at the 3-4-5 spots. Concerning that he disappeared from the Odessa rotation down the stretch.
5. Jones—As a 6-11 C with significant experience at UTEP as a redshirt frosh, he certainly appears to fill a need. Question is why his playing time dropped significantly when left UTEP for Odessa? There’s also a little concern about “Ian Fox syndrome” based on comments by former UTEP Coach Tim Floyd when he left there. If he accepts his role, certainly has the potential to be a significant contributor.

My understanding is the JUCO kids were supposedly going to be in town starting this week to begin off-season conditioning and workouts, along with the majority of the returnees. Austin Smellie is due back from his mission shortly as well, and is expected to commute from Preston for summer workouts before moving to campus this fall. Hopefully we’ll start to get some reports on how the new guys are fitting in, whether Legardy gets eligible, and Ingram’s status all fairly soon.

Skippy you know more than me. But here is how I would rate them...unimpressive. I just have such high hopes for the returners. Truly believe that is a a good if not great core and just needs a little help to push them over the top. We can’t let staff bailing affect our recruiting. And to hank42 point I totally agree. A hs big with good stats won’t come here but do we need a hs big??? Our time is now. Get someone in the front court that will help our guards that have been here and proven themselves!!!!

bengal37 said:
Skippy you know more than me. But here is how I would rate them...unimpressive. I just have such high hopes for the returners. Truly believe that is a a good if not great core and just needs a little help to push them over the top. We can’t let staff bailing affect our recruiting. And to hank42 point I totally agree. A hs big with good stats won’t come here but do we need a hs big??? Our time is now. Get someone in the front court that will help our guards that have been here and proven themselves!!!!
Had ISU outrecruited a WCC school (Portland), a MAC school (Kent State) and a Conference USA school ( UTEP) for Maker, Walker and Jones out of high school, we all would have been appropriately excited. But all three are on the rebound, which is the primary reason they are now available to ISU, especially during the late signing period. We’ll see how they all pan out, keeping in mind that the majority of Big Sky recruits don’t turn into stars. Heck Montana, who won the conference last year, just said goodbye to four transfers who didn’t pan out. Everybody misses on recruits — what determines your success is how many you hit on.

Recruiting is hard especially when when your recruiting to a lower division conference but it's not just about signing the top recruits. The real work comes when a coach is trying to get his players the buy in to what the team needs from each individual player. These days most players think that scoring and getting 10/15 shots or handling the ball is what defines them as a D1 college player which is false. When a team has good chemistry and all players KNOW their role as a TEAM player, rebounding/defending/ being good off the bench, being supportive if your not in the game plan or not playing at all. Being a good scout team player giving the starts a GREAT look in practice, not being jealous because another players scoring more point or gets more rebouds. All of these things is what a coach has to deal with when recruiting, trying to see what type of player he's getting for 2 or 4 years. Nows days if a players comes in and doesn't play right away he's ready to transfer he will even take a step back and go to JC and lose year. Looking at what we have coming next year I believe these guys understand whats expected of them, they will fit in fine and add exactly what is needed from them, rebounding-defending and scoring most of all being good teammates.

Agree skippy that everyone would be excited to beat higher level conference teams on a recruit. But these guys lack of productivity at jcs makes it hard to get excited about what we’re getting now. With that said McCord and Truman had great numbers and were “good gets” but neither had a stellar year for whatever reason. Think we all agree tho we need help for those perimeter guys and we need those talented guards who ended up being actual “good gets” to play like they’re capable of. Excited to see how it shakes out. But I still would like to know if we have another scholarship to give?

bengal37 said:
Agree skippy that everyone would be excited to beat higher level conference teams on a recruit. But these guys lack of productivity at jcs makes it hard to get excited about what we’re getting now. With that said McCord and Truman had great numbers and were “good gets” but neither had a stellar year for whatever reason. Think we all agree tho we need help for those perimeter guys and we need those talented guards who ended up being actual “good gets” to play like they’re capable of. Excited to see how it shakes out. But I still would like to know if we have another scholarship to give?
Depends on Legardy and Ingram’s status.

bengalcub said:
If both are not available--do you know if they would they look to bring in two new kids on scholarship?
By my count, they now have 12 scholarships filled:
Smellie
Sutton (assuming he is placed on scholarship as planned)
Dowd
Boyd
Chivichyan
Stutzman
Truman
Walker
Jones (assuming he follows up on his commitment, I haven't seen a signing announcement yet)
Maker
Moscan
Udengwu

Still waiting on NCAA ruling on Ingram, and Legardy to re-take ACT. So we could potentially be in an over-booked situation if both Ingram and Legardy get eligible. If neither are available, then we'd have one scholarship available if Jones fulfills his commitment.

Skippy said:
bengalcub said:
If both are not available--do you know if they would they look to bring in two new kids on scholarship?
Smellie
Dowd
Boyd
Chivichyan
Stutzman
Truman
Walker
Jones (assuming he follows up on his commitment, I haven't seen a signing announcement yet)
Maker
Moscan
Udengwu

Still waiting on NCAA ruling on Ingram, and Legardy to re-take ACT. So we could potentially be in an over-booked situation if both Ingram and Legardy get eligible. If neither are available, then we'd have one scholarship available if Jones fulfills his commitment.

Can they announce Jones, if it's after the signing period?

sasquatch said:
Skippy said:
bengalcub said:
Smellie
Dowd
Boyd
Chivichyan
Stutzman
Truman
Walker
Maker
Moscan
Udengwu

Can they announce Jones, if it's after the signing period?
Yes, he won't sign an LOI, but rather a scholarship agreement.

Individual workouts with coaches are taking place. Players can scrimmage, but no coaching.

Latest posts

Back