• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

WBB - thoughts on the season

For all that was said about the players lost last year, and the new coach, and the pre-season 8th or 9th place prediction, 9 of the first 12 games on the road, 7 and 8 day road trips, and the players lost this year, the team finished in the same spot as last year... in the semifinals (3rd/4th) in conference... not to mention the play from the seniors who really got a chance to really step up and play/lead this year. It's always disappointing to lose, but this team should be very proud of what they did this year.

Also, I was at the tourney in Missoula... I know Montana got the last laugh, but it brought a huge smile to my face when this ISU team came out and opened up a big lead in the first half. Coach Selvig for Monatana was starting to rip into his players (which seems rare to me), the crowd (all 5,000... amazing) was quiet, it was a beautiful sight... ISU couldn't keep it up for 40 minutes against a very talented Montana team, but it was a great feeling while it lasted. And I lost my voice in the first half trying to get the refs to call more than one dang foul on Montana all half (and 8 for the game), so I would say I got my money's worth.

Overall, great year with a lot of great memories. Shoot, the tourney alone had a clutch layup by Jenna to force OT, Oana hitting a game winner, and Michelle scoring her 1000th career point. Great season!

I don't think I could be any more happy with Seton and the women than I am right now. I think he made a great move by bringing Angela on-board, and Jordan also did a great job, along with Holly. As for the players...Oana turned into the player I knew she would become...and what can you say about Jenna and Michelle? I'm going to miss them a ton...they gave it everything they had this year. Congratulations on a remarkable season!

I concur with the first two posts. If Chelsea Pickering can come back at full strength by conference next year, the team will be very competitive in the conference. Pickering completely dominated Clare Faucher in the PSU game in Pocatello in January and I thought she was on her way to being the dominant guard in the league. I here that the team will be deep next year and already look forward to it.

votb said:
Oana turned into the player I knew she would become...

Oh Oana has an immense amount of talent... I played against her this summer a little and I can remember a few times where she made me look silly in the post (to be fair, my college experience was at the guard position on the men's side :D ). I just wish she would go down low more... She is such a good finisher underneath, but she seems more comfortable outside. Either way, she'll be a big time contributor next year.

I posted something similar on a different thread... This team will challenge for the BSC championship next year. The experience that the returning players garnered from this year, the added depth from the bench and another year of understanding and working the offense, they will be a force next year.

Here's to a productive Bengal off-season. Thank you and good luck to Michelle and Jenna!

spazdog1 said:
I posted something similar on a different thread... This team will challenge for the BSC championship next year. The experience that the returning players garnered from this year, the added depth from the bench and another year of understanding and working the offense, they will be a force next year.

That doesn't look very likely. The Bengals lose two key players (Grohs & Brown) while most of the other also-rans lose little to nothing. Portland State looks to be the favorite with Montana probably second. NAU figures to end up last since they lose three of their top four scores from an already mediocre team, but Weber, UNC, EWU, and Sac return most if not all of their key players. Idaho State may be a slightly better team next year in absolute terms, but I think they'll probably end up worse than this year relative to the rest of the conference.

Mvem, you may be correct, but I think you may underestimating the Bengals. It will be interesting to see how the off-season, personal, eligibility and coaching issues impact the BSC teams this year. It's no secret that the Bengals took a HUGE hit this past year. The team that walked out on the court against Concordia, the first Bengal opponent, was a far cry from the team than many thought it would be after the final buzzer of the NIT game in Boise last year. Defections, new coaching staff and all of that associated with it took its toll. I'd venture to say that few, including myself, thought that ISU would make the tournament. Over the course of the season, this team faced all of the challenges and still qualified as the fourth seed. Yes, Grohs & Brown were ISU's impact players and will be missed next year, but with their backs to wall the remaining FIVE scholarship players stepped up and played their hearts out. They got valuable playing time. Games got away from the Bengals that probably shouldn't. PSU in Reed Gym comes to mind. The Bengals missed a number of point blank shots in that game. It was a close game and ISU resorted to fouling. PSU hit their foul shots and ISU, in desparation didn't make their shots down the stretch. I'm not talking down PSU. But the Bengals could have, and probably should have won that game.

Nothing beats experience and the core of this team returns. Nerves took its toll early in the season. In the final stages of the season, the lights came on. You could see it. Frustration evolved into understanding and execution. Next season, reinforcements will be here. With injuries healed, new scholarship players and a complete season of understanding the offense, I still believe that this team will make waves next year.

I think so too. I love the emphasis on defense and ball control. It's better than scoring 70 points a game and getting beat by a team scoring 90. Shootouts are boring, defensive struggles are much more entertaining.

spazdog1 said:
The team that walked out on the court against Concordia, the first Bengal opponent, was a far cry from the team than many thought it would be after the final buzzer of the NIT game in Boise last year.

Not to mention the team that walked out on the court against Montana in the BSC was a FAR CRY from what the players and coaches expected it to look like after the Concordia game. This team LOST 6 players it was counting on between then beginning of August and the BSC tournament.

My take on next year is that there's no way to know about next year... just like there was no way to know about this year. Of the 7 scholarship players suited up in the last game, only 5 have eligibility remaining. Of those not suited up, grades always scare me because it's so easy to let them slide again after you've done it once. I hope for the best from the grade inelligibles, but it just scares me. Also, you never know how a knee will heal. One good thing from those not suited up comes in the form of Vidabeck who is very familiar with the offense and is an extremely good passer, which is very good for the motion offense.

Other than that, ISU may be relying on a huge incoming class that we know nothing about. However, there was a lot of unknowns this year as well. My best guess (which is still probably wrong) is that early next year will be a struggle as everyone finds their roles (much like this year). However, after that, I would assume they'll kick it into gear and be in a similar BSC position (of course depending on who steps up, shows up, stays out of trouble). Just my two cents... actual value probably much less.

Latest posts

Back