• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Weber State Prediction...

spazdog1

It's that time again. You know, the time that I throw all logic out the window and come up with some creative prediction. This week, it's Wildcat week. Let's get started...

1- Weber State Wildcats. On the surface, their choice of mascot is not that much different than a Bengal. Both dangerous cats. But look a little deeper, wildcats are also illegal union strikes against their employers. Idaho's a right to work state and I'm for that. Now everyone, don't get your knickers up. I'm saying that with the right to work, you'll see few if any wildcats in Idaho. Advantage: ISU

2- Weber State is located in Ogden. I have hundreds of relatives in northern Utah and used to go to family reunions in Brigham City and Odgen. Heck, I don't know any of the relatives and always thought the reunions were major league boring. To me, Odgen means more of those boring people that want to hug on you, but you can't for the life of you figure out who they are. ISU is in Pocatello. I have interests in Pocatello. Nice little town.
Advantage: ISU

3- Weber State's colors are purple and white. In my travels to Israel several years ago, I learned a lot about heritage and the significance of colors. For example, one ethnic group wears a black and white head cloth to signify their heritage. Another group wears red and white. Purple is a color of English royalty. We all know that ISU's colors are black and orange. No disrespect, but I have English notable ancestors that came to this fine country on the Mayflower. And blood is blood. Advantage: WSU.

4- Weber State's first two games were against patsies! That's right. It's reflected in the scores of their games. ISU stepped up to the plate. Both have the same record but ISU stared at the gates of Hades in their pre-conference games, especially last week. There were bright spots, you just have look beyond the surface. They will learn from their experience. I'm a firm believer that things that don't kill you will make you better. Advantage: ISU

5- Not all games end with an expected result. Take a look around the country so far this year... Colorado State beat Colorado in Boulder, BYU beat Oklahoma, and Toledo thumped Colorado (Okay, Colorado sucks but that's a different story). But there have been games this year where the games were as predictable as the rising sun. This game, who knows. Advantage: Push.

Scorecard: ISU 3 WSU 1. With my Idaho Falls math, rounding and factoring skills, ISU sneaks out of Ogden with a W. ISU 24 WSU 20.

Anyone dare to question my logic?

If the Sagarin rankings have any kind of credibility, then Weber should beat ISU by nine points this Saturday. Weber's ranked at #135 with a 59.85 rating -- just one notch above Idaho at #136. Whereas ISU's rated at #144 with a 57.63 rating -- and according to Sagarin the home team gets a seven point advantage. MSU's ranked at #155, Sac State's at #175, and UNC's rated at #184. USC's #1 in the rankings, followed by BYU and then BSU.... Honestly, I think any Big Sky team would have gotten routed at ASU and Oklahoma -- including Montana! Does anybody know, isn't there any radio station in Boise that will be carrying the ISU games this fall?

boisebengal said:
If the Sagarin rankings have any kind of credibility, then Weber should beat ISU by nine points this Saturday. Weber's ranked at #135 with a 59.85 rating -- just one notch above Idaho at #136. Whereas ISU's rated at #144 with a 57.63 rating -- and according to Sagarin the home team gets a seven point advantage. MSU's ranked at #155, Sac State's at #175, and UNC's rated at #184. USC's #1 in the rankings, followed by BYU and then BSU.... Honestly, I think any Big Sky team would have gotten routed at ASU and Oklahoma -- including Montana! Does anybody know, isn't there any radio station in Boise that will be carrying the ISU games this fall?

What in the heck is Sagarin??

bengalfanatic said:
boisebengal said:

What in the heck is Sagarin??

Bing is your friend!
http://www.bing.com/search?q=sagarin&src=IE-SearchBox

boisebengal said:

Boisebengal...the station in Caldwell refused to carry the games this year, even though they were getting paid. If you can organize the fans in Boise to find and identify a station in the Treasure Valley that would carry the games...I know Jeff would add them to the network at the drop of a hat.

On the surface, this game has a lopsided tilt in favor of Weber. Weber's two narrow losses to WY and CSU compared to ISU's two blowout losses to ASU and OU suggest Weber is a significantly better than ISU.

However, a closer look at Weber's FBS opponents, note that WY has a first-year coaching staff and CSU has a second-year staff - both teams still in a transition. Weber entered both games as underdogs just for being an FCS team (rightfully so), but is a veteran group and a ranked FCS program. For Weber to be competitive in both games isn't too much of a stretch. On the other hand, ISU's FBS opponents were from two of the BCS-six conferences, and were/are clearly better than WY and CSU.

Is Weber is as good as they've shown? Probably. Is ISU is as bad as they've shown? Probably not. Referring to what BlueHawgsCoach mentioned as "adjusting to the speed of the game" (paraphrased) vs. ASU and OU, ISU could/should use it to its advantage...quicker reads by the QB, RBs hitting the holes/seams faster, OL/DL getting off the ball faster, LB reacting quicker, DBs stride-for-stride with the wideouts...when playing their BSC opponents.

Weber: 34
ISU: 17

Weber's a favorite to win the BSC while ISU is still trying to find its identity. Alas, as this rivalry is being billed as a "Border War," and the BSC opener for both teams, ISU will keep things close. In the end, Higgins, Smith, and Toone will be too much for the improving ISU defense. ISU offense will show improvement (nowhere to go but up, right?), but a 4Q score by Weber will make it a three-possession game and out of reach.

I think that the people involved expect Weber State to be a great BSC team this year. By scheduling this game early, they are confident that Weber State will have the time needed to regroup and challenge for the Big Sky Title after losing to ISU and dropping to 0-3. Everyone knows the Cats will win its final eight games after this weekend. The loss to ISU will be a good thing for the Cats. :D

bengalcub said:
I think that the people involved expect Weber State to be a great BSC team this year. By scheduling this game early, they are confident that Weber State will have the time needed to regroup and challenge for the Big Sky Title after losing to ISU and dropping to 0-3. Everyone knows the Cats will win its final eight games after this weekend. The loss to ISU will be a good thing for the Cats. :D

Yeah, that's what i thought!

The Wildcats graciously agreed to take Cal Poly off our hands. ISU was originally scheduled to play Cal Poly the same weekend we wound up playing Oklahoma. So we got Weber to take the contract and play them the last week of the season, and that pushed the ISU-Weber game up to the third week of the season.

I still think the fans will come out to see it even if it is in week 3, Its a rivalry game, time to get amped up for the Border Brawl.

I heard Webers QB has thrown (7) nice passes to the opposing team in only (2) games. I hope he keeps the picks up. This is going to be a fun game to watch. Great weather-good food and hopefully a good crowd. Wildcat, what are you thinking for the game (people wise?) I wonder if folks are heading south to watch BYU/Florida st? I know i turned tickets down to that game to watch my Bengals instead. When do you guys start tailgating? Save a couple burgers and i will try to make my way over there. Go bengals!

Bengal Roar said:
I heard Webers QB has thrown (7) nice passes to the opposing team in only (2) games. I hope he keeps the picks up. This is going to be a fun game to watch. Great weather-good food and hopefully a good crowd. Wildcat, what are you thinking for the game (people wise?) I wonder if folks are heading south to watch BYU/Florida st? I know i turned tickets down to that game to watch my Bengals instead. When do you guys start tailgating? Save a couple burgers and i will try to make my way over there. Go bengals!
Tailgatiing will start around 3-3:30 come on by and grab some chow and shoot the bull. North parking lot just outside of the stadium.

The better the weather the worse WSU will play
The worse the weather the better WSU will play

I'm hoping for snow all season!

Bengal Roar said:

Im hoping for 10K+, but Im not getting my hopes up, like you said BYU is hosting Florida State this weekend, and thier game starts an hour before ours, so there probably lose the BYU fans, I think the Utah fans might come, but then again Utah is at Oregon and that game is on tv. Realisticly I can see 8,000 being at the game tomorrow.

And I know ISU has alot of good die-hard fans up there, so Im sure the Bengals will have a decent road crowd for the game as well.

Latest posts

Back