• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Weekly prediction thread | Game 3

Franko

Idaho State (1-1) at Oregon State (0-1)
Reser Stadium, Corvallis, Oregon
Saturday, Sept. 17, 3 p.m. MST

My prediction …

Oregon State 51, Idaho State 0

Last week …

Final score: Colorado 56, Idaho State 7

Read about it here: http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/1...uise-past-idaho-state-tuneup-before-michigan/ …. and here: http://www.idahostatejournal.com/me...cle_31a84736-029f-5485-a9a2-e4f27fe8a814.html

Winning prediction: boisebengal, who nailed the final score dead on

Worst prediction: anyone who predicted Idaho State would be competitive ... which was a lot of you ...

Some additional thoughts

— When Idaho State whipped Simon Fraser, you couldn’t take away much from the game. SFU stinks, stinks, stinks and was wildly outclassed by Idaho State. The Bengals merely had to show up with a pulse and they’d roll.

A lot of that was true with Colorado and Idaho State. Have the Buffs struggled in the Pac-12? Yes. But the difference in the kinds of players CU is recruiting compared to ISU is gigantic — I know, duh — and Colorado showed up motivated to win big. The Buffs wanted to impress at home to … A) Impress the faithful who have suffered through losing season after losing season … B) They’re at No. 4 Michigan this week. You think they wanted to fly into Ann Arbor with some confidence?

So chill. Idaho State was whipped, yes, but Mike Kramer knew it was coming. And another blowout loss is on the way this week, too. That’s the state of the program right now.

— Every year in July and August, Big Sky coaches and the media like to bellyache that the league isn’t getting enough respect nationally by the FCS playoff committee. The latest example of that was the 2015 North Dakota squad. UND, as you remember, went 7-4 a season ago but was passed over in favor of Eastern Illinois (hadn’t defeated a playoff team in the regular season) and 6-5 Western Illinois.

That got everybody fired up … and understandably so … North Dakota beat FBS-foe Wyoming and playoff-bound Portland State on the road.

But the fact is that the Big Sky's last national champion was Eastern Washington in 2010. Going back 20 years, the league has had two national champions. And in the past few years, especially, the conference hasn’t performed well in the playoffs. In 2015, the league went 1-3 in the postseason, 2-3 in 2014 (one of those Ws was Eastern beating Montana) and 2-4 in 2013.

The reality is that the Big Sky has an image problem. It’s a good league, but no one west of Grand Forks is confusing it for the SEC of the FCS. Does that perception matter? Ask UND. Or ask the 2014 Idaho State Bengals.

BUT … the Big Sky had a great opportunity this week to make a statement with Weber State at South Dakota, Eastern Washington at North Dakota State, Northern Arizona at Western Illinois and Montana at Northern Iowa.

Those are big-time matchups and games that could influence the playoff committee’s decisions in a few months. Perform well and maybe a 7-4 North Dakota squad would sneak into the playoffs in the future.

How did the Big Sky do? … 1-3 … with two bad losses … Weber State’s defense utterly capitulated in a 52-49 OT defeat (South Dakota, btw, was picked to finish 7/10 in the MVC), and Northern Arizona’s high-powered offense flopped after a 13-point first quarter (eventually losing 34-20).

On the bright side, however, Southern Utah and Montana State managed to hold off Southeastern Louisiana and Bryant, respectively, and Eastern Washington had some great moments on the road in Fargo.

All in all, not a disastrous weekend for the Big Sky, and the league can still make a few more impressions this week. Eastern is hosting Northern Iowa, South Dakota is at North Dakota and Cal Poly is visiting South Dakota State. The Big Sky could use a few more wins against good teams from the east.

My worst prediction is also my best hope.

Oregon State 58, Idaho State 3

Can we pass down field beyond 10 yards? It's gotta happen for us to advance the ball for first downs. Even an incomplete could have its long term advantages. It's going to be another tough day. Keep giving lots of players lots of chances to play to keep the number of injuries down. We need them ready down the road.

i MAY have had the worst prediction last week, but I really knew nothing about the team, or the history of ISU football. Let's see if I can do a little better this week.

Oregon St 42 vs ISU 10

We score one more TD than we did against the Buffs and the Beavers score one less than the Buffs.

49-14 OSU

63 - 0. OSU. The Beavers will show no mercy on us like Colorado did in the 2nd half. OSU will make us earn our check in this game as they will play us rough and tough.

I missed it by 2 touchdowns last week so I'm going to be a little more conservative this week.
Oregon State - 6 touchdowns and 2 field goals
Idaho State - 1 touchdown and 1 field goal.
(48-10)
I don't think Oregon State is as good as Colorado - but what do I know about the PAC12 - I'm just hoping it's a little closer.

Go Bengals! Stay Healthy!

For those in the Boise area, I know that it can be difficult to find restaurants/bars in this area that carry the Pac-12 network. But I know that Buster's and Big Al's in Meridian both carry it. I'll be at Big Al's this Saturday. Beavers by a score of 47-3.

Also SlingTV just picked up the Pac12 Network and they have a free 7 day trial promo going right now. Just pick the basic Orange package with the sports addon and make sure to cancel your subscription before the 7 day ends if you don't want to keep it. That's how I watched the Colorado game. Live, free and in HD.

Has player status and injuries always been a taboo subject at Idaho? Some teams, it is what it is and others keep all their cards close.

I think injuries have always been a pretty closed subject. Two reasons particularly, one being you don't want to let your opponent know far enough ahead of time to be able to take advantage of it and two, since these are young people many under 21 years old there are privacy laws that have to be considered so I don't think legally you can say to much.

PBP

I don't think privacy laws have anything to do with disclosing who's hurt and who's not. Most teams discuss injuries regularly. Heck, there's not a high school team in Idaho that doesn't talk about injured players before and after games. I think it's purely what Coach Kramer does. He doesn't like to talk about who's injured and the extent of the injury and the more he's asked the more stubborn with information he becomes.

His call, he's the coach, but it sure is frustrating for the fans never knowing who's playing and who's not or why. There are certain kids you're interested in watching and you never know their status unless they're out for the season, even then you're not always sure. Very frustrating.....

bengalguy said:
I don't think privacy laws have anything to do with disclosing who's hurt and who's not. Most teams discuss injuries regularly. Heck, there's not a high school team in Idaho that doesn't talk about injured players before and after games. I think it's purely what Coach Kramer does. He doesn't like to talk about who's injured and the extent of the injury and the more he's asked the more stubborn with information he becomes.

His call, he's the coach, but it sure is frustrating for the fans never knowing who's playing and who's not or why. There are certain kids you're interested in watching and you never know their status unless they're out for the season, even then you're not always sure. Very frustrating.....

Guess you'll just have to listen to the sideline injury report that we do shortly before kickoff on the pregame show to know! :D

And I have been told that because sometimes we do know exactly why a player isn't able to play we shouldn't give that out because of the HEPPA rules....so I can only go by what I'm told.

A lot of it is probably Mike but that's his way and that's the way it is but there are also some other factors which I tried to note.

PBP

Latest posts

Back