• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Weekly prediction thread | Game 8

Franko

Southern Utah (3-4, 2-3) at Idaho State (2-5, 1-3)
Holt Arena, Pocatello, Idaho
Saturday, Oct. 29, 2:35 p.m. MST

My prediction …

Southern Utah 26, Idaho State 25

Last week …

Final score: North Dakota 28, Idaho State 21

Winning prediction: Reborn2010, who was pretty dang close to the final score when he tabbed UND to win 31-17.

Worst prediction(s): Anyone (including myself) who had North Dakota running away with an easy win.

………………………

This week’s game is the most difficult of the season to predict for me. Southern Utah is a solid program, and these guys beat Portland State by two touchdowns the week before PSU whipped Idaho State 45-20. … Shoot, maybe that alone should convince someone the T-birds are going to stroll into Holt and blow away the Bengals.

But ever since ISU’s poor performance in Portland, the Bengals have been much stiffer defending the run, and Southern Utah has shown a few cracks of vulnerability. The T-birds are last in the Big Sky stopping the pass and the offense is the worst in the conference on third down. Throw in a bad field goal kicker — he’s 3 of 8 this season — and SUU has also struggled in the red zone, too.

So it seems to me that the Idaho State offense (whether Jakori Ford is hurt or not) should have some success, and the defense can do enough to keep the T-birds in check.

But there are a couple worries (from ISU’s perspective). SUU is a good punting team and its plus-four turnover margin is fourth in the Big Sky and a heck of a lot better than ISU’s minus-six turnover deficit. Those things matter in 50-50 games.

There’s also this: Idaho State, a season ago, had back-to-back home games against Montana and Montana State. In the first game, the Bengals played well and in an OT loss to the Griz — and, obviously, that was a game ISU should have won.* The very next week, though, the Bengals seemed deflated in a 44-20 loss to Montana State. It’s not that they didn’t play hard, but the Montana defeat might have hung around.

Is it possible the stinging loss to North Dakota will do the same thing this Saturday? Because if it doesn’t, if ISU shows up and plays with an edge, this is a winnable game. And there may not be another one of those on the schedule.

* http://www.idahostatejournal.com/sp...cle_f4f79754-85a6-11e5-8dea-6bdc06aa41d4.html

ISU 28
Southern Utah 24

This is THIS YEAR and last year was over a long time ago. I think the Bengals will gain alot of confidence from the game Saturday. I see them improving every week since that Portland State loss. The offensive line is getting better, Gueller is cutting down on his Turn Overs (0) Saturday. And finally the corner backs seem much improved. Oh I almost forgot, the Defense against the run is really really good. I think ISU should have scored 28 Saturday; so I think with a little more confidence the offense will do that Saturday. I also believe we can hold Southern Utah to 4 less points than the 28 points we allowed Saturday.

28 - 27. ISU

ISU defense continues to improve. ISU should perform better on offense but you never know. I am going with ISU in this game because of home field advantage and SUU has lost two in a row and their defense is struggling. ISU comes from behind to win this game.

38-42 ISU.

I'm going with a little bit higher score for this game. I feel we can take advantage of the SUU pass defense. Should be a very well matched game.

bill_idaflls said:
ISU 35 SUU 28

Bengals score 2 TD's late as SUU's pass rush collapses. Ty Flanagan busts out.

Flanagan is due for a breakout game and he definitely has it in him. Good power and vision, just needs some opportunity. If he has a few consecutive carries he can make something happen. TF and MD both being young in the backfield/slot will be a great duo.

Tacoma5 said:
bill_idaflls said:
ISU 35 SUU 28

Bengals score 2 TD's late as SUU's pass rush collapses. Ty Flanagan busts out.

Flanagan is due for a breakout game and he definitely has it in him. Good power and vision, just needs some opportunity. If he has a few consecutive carries he can make something happen. TF and MD both being young in the backfield/slot will be a great duo.

I agree about flannigan i like his power. I actually even really like James Madison also, he is only a sophomore. I think Andrew grimes and Nehemiah McFarland (freshman that are redshirting) are gonna be nice also. McFarland is listed at DB on roster but I remember in first full scrimmage of August he had about a 45 yard td scamper down sideline as a tailback.

demian said:
I agree about flannigan i like his power. I actually even really like James Madison also, he is only a sophomore. I think Andrew grimes and Nehemiah McFarland (freshman that are redshirting) are gonna be nice also. McFarland is listed at DB on roster but I remember in first full scrimmage of August he had about a 45 yard td scamper down sideline as a tailback.

Completely agree. We have a really good redshirt freshman group not many folks have yet had the pleasure to see. I think we are very stacked in skill positions and they'll be ready to break out next season. Speaking of Grimes I saw him this past weekend and he's built like a Linebacker ready to smash somebody. I could definitely see him as a full back.

There is no doubt in my mind we have the talent to be a top tier BigSky team. Execution is the key.

Tacoma5 said:
demian said:

Completely agree. We have a really good redshirt freshman group not many folks have yet had the pleasure to see. I think we are very stacked in skill positions and they'll be ready to break out next season. Speaking of Grimes I saw him this past weekend and he's built like a Linebacker ready to smash somebody. I could definitely see him as a full back.

There is no doubt in my mind we have the talent to be a top tier BigSky team. Execution is the key.

Well said Tacoma5

Latest posts

Back