• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

What Can We Do?

bill_idaflls

What Can We Do?

OK, I'm not a football coach. Lots of people know more about x's and o's than I do and
all the talents of individual players. But, the question remains: as a community, what
can we do to support, promote, and help improve ISU sports programs?

This past weekend, my wife and I went to Bozeman for the football game. Looking at the
Saturday morning edition of the *Bozeman Daily Chronicle*, I was impressed with its
sports page. In bold letters, the front-page headline read "GAME DAY", "SATURDAY, OCT.
31 VS. IDAHO STATE." The second page included a SIDELINE BRIEFING, Records for both
teams, TV availability, Radio broadcasting channels, pictures of both coaches and their
records, Schedules for both teams with results of games played, PLAYERS TO WATCH on both
sides, INJURY REPORT for both teams. On the same second page, a half-page article was
devoted to ISU, including some interview responses from Tingey and Zamberlin. Another
full-page was a color picture of a Montana State tight end, sponsored by Ferroro's
Italian Restaurant. They also had a nice article on the Montana State team and a section
that highlighted other games in the Big Sky Conference for that date.

My overall impression was that the local paper DID THEIR HOMEWORK and did a great job in promoting
the Montana State Bobcats. The thought occurred to me about the effect of such promotion
in the community. Within the reach of that paper's circulation, what young boy wouldn't
have Bobcat Football foremost in his mind? That kind of newspaper promotion attracts
fans and athletes to all Montana State athletic programs. It was exciting for me to read
as a visitor to the area. They even had *my* team in the paper.

What do I find in Idaho Falls? I'm lucky to find the score listed somewhere in the Post
Register's Sunday paper after Saturday's game. Pre-game promotion? Non-existent. ISU
sports is seldom reported here and certainly not promoted. What do you think? Compared
to Bozeman, would a local kid have Bengal football on his mind after graduation? It
seems to me that attracting athletes to ISU programs just got harder with this one factor
thrown in.

What can we do about that? How can we get that kind of promotion in our local papers?
That kind of work could pay off in fan support at the gate, and attraction of future
athletes. Maybe championships are not that far off with a little forethought given to the problem.

Amen, Bill.

But, remember, "Idaho Falls just isn't an ISU town." The quote may not be exact but the sentiment was declared by a member of the ISU Athletic Dept. in a post on here several weeks ago.If that is the prevailing attitude of the powers that be, then we're getting exactly what we're (meaning ISU) putting into it.

The same thing was discussed at the volleyball game last evening by an out of state player's parents. The feeling is definitely that the marketing of the product (ISU Athletics) is woeful.

Bill, you are exactly right...The PR does a terrible job covering ISU and they have a few local players on the teams. It makes me sick the coverage BYU receives from the PR. Idaho and Boise receive more than ISU...come on PR... there are people that would love for you to do a better job.

The Journal used to do a big GameDay spread of four pages worth of stuff...it was very well done, but with the Journal down to three writers, the expense and manpower was tough to justify. I know if they ever got back to four it is something Tim would revisit.

The Post Register has been at every home game this season, which is better than last...

ISUSID

I've seen a game preview each week on Thursday mornings in the Post-Register. I don't recall if there was one this past week before the MSU game.
Does the ISJ still do the Saturday game day spread? That was better than the program at the Holt.

They don't have the pullout section, but they have a full page worth of stuff. The game program is limited somewhat by the advertising and number of change pages, which is pretty small admittedly.

ISUSID

Latest posts

Back