• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

What did the running backs do?

KramerFan

Coach Kramer did not dress Rover or Daniels this week. He noted that there is a lack of "mental toughness" at the position. Anybody know what got these guys in the head coach's doghouse?

My interpretation and total speculation on my part...but commitment to the team comes to mind. Can or will you play when you are a little beat up or can and will you play when you aren't getting touches.

Simply put, are you a "we" person or an "I" person.

I think you play the game and do things the Kramer way or you won't suit up. I would expect both will take notice and be back very soon, but who knows. If he doesn't trust you, then as a player you are SOL.

From the Journal:

Starter Tavoy Moore was still out with an injury while Jahmel Rover and Jarrod Daniels did not dress for the game. Kramer would not say why Rover and Daniels weren’t on the field other than a comment after the game.

“We have an issue going at running back because we don’t have a lot of mental toughness in the core of the backfield,” he said. “We’ll make a personnel change on Tuesday and we’ll get some depth at tailback because there are some other guys on the team that deserve to play.”

Without a tailback on the field, ISU used back up tight end Andrew Zamora in that spot. He finished the game with 10 yards and a touchdown on six carries, all while fighting through an injury.

“Andrew Zamora not only answered the bell but he played hurt,” Kramer said. “The very first play of the game he may have fractured his finger and might be looking at seasonending surgery this week. We don’t know. But what a courageous effort by a great Bengal in a time when his team needed him.”

“What Andrew Zamora did for this team illustrates how tough we want every guy to be, and every guy to answer the bell. This team is indebted to Andrew Zamora in a big way.”

I think we got some clarity in the coach's show. I think our running backs need to learn the difference between being hurt and being injured. The coach noted that our three scholarship running backs let relatively minor injuries prevent them from suiting up. Coach Kramer is setting the high expectations that winning football teams need. I love it.

Daniels was out with a dislocated rib. I think being able to breathe when you run is not minor issue but a requirement to play the game. Anyone ever crack or dislocate a rib before?

I do agree that mental toughness is an absolute and Kramer is probably sending a message for what he expects now and for future recruits.

Do you really think Daniels is the only one nursing ribs, it comes down to a matter of toughness. Some have it some don't. What Kramer wants is for players to get tough and quit making excuses. Football is a collision sport, you are going to get hurt, the tough players continue to play. If you are one of those players who always seems to be injured, your toughness is going to be questioned. Storm played with a damaged shoulder most of last year, had surgery during the off season. How many games did he miss last year? Zamora had to have his finger popped back in and taped when he came out after the first play, he went on to catch three passes and blocked for the entire game. Despot had to burn his red shirt year so our running backs could sit and watch the game from the sideline. Non of this is good and may have hurt their cause because we were still able to run the ball. It's not like we run the ball twenty times a game. I see two players who are backups right now who could step in and bring real toughness to the position. I'll let you know if I'm guess correctly when we line up next week.

Blackfoot, I agree with your point and you'll get no disagreement from me. Football is violent and the threshold of pain a athlete can play with varies from athlete to athlete. No doubt you have to be tough mentally and physically day in day out to play at this level, and the level Kramer expects.

What Storm and Zamora did for their team is commendable. Both are seniors and did exactly what senior leaders do, I.e. set an example for the younger class to follow!

Let's hope they darn well were paying attention!

Aaron Prier out ran a lot of DB's as a high school senior last year in California. His 2010 youtube highlight reel is pretty ridiculous! I think that the number one job of the running back in our offense is blitz pickup, if he can be responsible in protection then he should get a shot in my opinion.

Watching Kramer's interview, I though that's what was going to happen.. I'm excited to see the FR Prier in action, and hope he can make people miss.

I agree that you have to be willing to play with injuries in the sport of football. It's all about mental toughness and desire like Kevin Yost displayed last Saturday. He took alot of punishment and keep getting up and played after being hurt on at least a couple of occasions. I also watched the Aaron Pryor videos playing running back in high school and I couldn't believe we were getting such a fast dynamic running back. I was very surprised when he was swithched to defense when he got here but he has played very well. If he can block I think he would be awsome in our offense. If other teams defensive lines come out with the wide splits like Northern Colorado did against us he would really make them pay. :o

Here's that answer we were wondering about.
http://www.kpvi.com/content/sports/story/Injuries-in-Bengal-Backfield/PPo1ElBz6USWlUoyIlRijA.cspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who suited up and practiced today?

I promise you that IF Kramer plays a freshman, thereby burning his red shirt, and he misses his blocking assignments, which result in Yost getting injured.. ISU fans with greet him at the airport with pitch forks and he would have some explaining to do.

I think he's made his point loud and clear and cooler heads will prevail.

Latest posts

Back