• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

What is going on with our Rushing Game?

What is going on with our Rushing Game? Is it because our OL cannot run block or is it because our RB's are not playing up to expectations? Either way, I see our offense going back to pass pass pass starting in Northern Arizona. Our rushing game is finished for the season.

Our rushing game or at least our RBs are fine and our rushing game is not finished for the season. The plays we've had with 2 RBs in the backfield to throw the defense off has been successful. Hopefully we see some more misdirection, but our RB's are the least of our concerns at this point. We have some good strength there and they've made some great plays this season.

When your offensive line is a constant revolving door each week because of major serious injuries, its hard to get consistent and develop as one the unit you need to be the tip of the spear in a rushing game.

PBP

This past Saturday against Portland State our top two RB's averaged 4.3 yards per carry and 3.8 yards per carry.

A week ago against Sacramento State our top two RB's average 2.4 yards per carry and 2.2 yards per carry.

The longest run in both games for our top two RB's was 10 yards.

I understand about the revolving door on the OL but if we cannot produce good rushing yardage early into games or during a game do we really have a choice other than go back to a hurry up offense and pass attack?

I do not see Kramer staying with a rushing game once we fall behind. He will air the ball to play catch up.

PBP said:
Up:

That certainly could happen if they can't run the football.

PBP

Our top two RB's will have to rush for some good yardage per carry in the Northern Arizona game to take some pressure off Gueller. They both have the size and speed to get it done regardless of the revolving door at our OL.

I hope that the coaches go after elite linemen for the next 2 or 3 years. I think most people know that without really good linemen really good backs can't do much at all. And this goes for the D line too.

up for the challenge said:
PBP said:
Up:

PBP

Our top two RB's will have to rush for some good yardage per carry in the Northern Arizona game to take some pressure off Gueller. They both have the size and speed to get it done regardless of the revolving door at our OL.

Having size and speed doesn't do much when or if you don't have any lanes or holes to run through. That's where the line comes in as you know...it all has to work together.

PBP

PBP said:
up for the challenge said:
PBP said:
Up:

PBP

Having size and speed doesn't do much when or if you don't have any lanes or holes to run through. That's where the line comes in as you know...it all has to work together.

PBP

PBP:

I know what Kramer said but I have to tell you that I disagree what he is saying about our number 3 RB being to small and not being able to handle the pounding. It is just another excuse as Kramer has started many true freshmen now and in the past and some played while banged up. I believe our number 3 RB now needs to be our starting RB and get the same number of carries as our current number 1 RB. I think you will find that he really does not need a great OL as he has already shown he has the quickness and speed to gain positive yardage. I know it will not happen with our number 3 RB as Kramer has already explained his reasons so unless our current number 1 and number 2 RB"S show major improvement our rushing game is finished. Anyway, here is our number 3 RB averages the last two games. I would like to see what he could do carrying the ball 10 times or more a game and so would a lot of people including most of the fans paying for tickets to see a game at Holt Arena.

Sac St. 4 carries for 38.5 average
Portland State - 3 carries for 5.7 average

As you can see much better than our number 1 and number 2 RB's the first two games.

I agree that Coach Kramer is making a mistake about Dean. Yes. He should be getting 10 carries a game. Averaging 5.7 yards per carry against Portland St is pretty good. Come on Coaches. Get your heads together and figure out a way, or ways to get Dean the ball. I am sure he can catch passes too.

Talking about the rushing game, Mike tonight said on the coaches radio show that Skylar Phillips is done for the season and that Chase Collins is probably going to be unavailable again for a long time.

The offensive line simply hasn't been able to stay healthy almost since the start of Fall camp and that is definitely making an impact in the running game in my opinion.

PBP

Sorry to hear both players are out for the season. Both are good players. The OL seems to have more injuries than other positions throughout the years. A lot of strain on the body constantly blocking. If Kramer cannot establish a rushing game in the next couple of games with his OL than he will be forced to go back to the pass attack and hope for the best.

Also sorry to hear about the loss of players for the season. One of the things I like about Coach K the best is his constant care for the long-term health of his players. Yes, football is a contact sport, but repeated injuries can have lifetime consequences. If I were a parent of a player, I'd respect K's decision about my son playing or not playing based on current info about the player.

Latest posts

Back