• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

What we learned from the game...

Bengal Roar

First of all, way to hang in there until the end. Sounds like our Offense should be way better than the last few years.

I was impressed to hear about Sac St. beating Oregon St. and E. Washington almost beating Washington, and Utah St. had it against Auburn, you see it is possible.

It is time to get ready for next week. We learn from our mistakes and go forward. Nothing to keep our heads down about.

Here is some info from the ISU site..............

Game Notes

-Tanner Davis had a career-high nine tackles, eight unassisted.

-The 52 yard reception by Cameron Richmond from Kevin Yost was longer than any offensive play from the 2010 season until Rodrick Rumble caught a 65-yard touchdown pass late in the third quarter.

- Jahmel Rover scored the first touchdown of 2011 for the Bengals with a three-yard run in the third quarter. His two touchdowns, all in the third quarter, was a career-high.

- Kicker C.J. Reyes saw his first collegiate action by kicking three extra points in the game.

-Rodrick Rumble had a career-high 10 receptions for 218 yards; his previous was 5-for-89 vs. Sacramento State last season. It was the third best receiving performance in Idaho State history.

-Kevin Yost's 32 completions is more than any quarterback completed in a game last year. The previous team-high for the Bengals throwing the ball was at Utah State when ISU was 20-for-40.

Mike Kramer Quotes

On the injuries from the game
“Nothing to severe that is not going to be fixed over the due course of time. When you play a Pac 12 opponent you are going to get some bumps and bruises. That is all we really got.”

On his teams touchdowns
“We want to keep throwing and working what we are running on offense and keep running what we are trying to do on defense without regards to the score.”

On his teams' defense
“The defense didn't tackle. We had a couple of alignment mistakes. Washington State's offense is much improved even with the loss of Jeff Tuel is much improved, especially on the offensive front.”

On Rumble
“Rodrick played pretty darn well. He is capable of being a more dominant player all the time. He has to be better in practice, games and finish every play like it is the only play he is in the game. To have the third best receiving performance in Idaho State history is pretty impressive and we can build on it.”

On what pleased him
“I am pleased that we fought all the way to the bitter end. Last year when we watched video tape I am not sure Idaho State new how to fight all the way to the bitter end. But this group of Bengals knows how to fight to the bitter end regardless of who we are playing and how well we are playing or not playing and I like that.”

“We Are Your Bengals”

Come on folks.....nothing to be down about.....yes i too would have liked to have stayed closer to the cougs...BUT we need to keep reality in mind....was tailgating yesterday and bet two guys $ 20 bucks each...one that we will win 5 and one that we will win 4...i'm still thinking we will either win 4 and i will break even ....OR we are going to win 5 and i will win $ 40.......i firmly believe Coach Kramer IS the perfect guy for this job ....AND i know .....THESE ARE MY BENGALS!!! .....

What I THINK I learned...

Yost is going to be a solid QB. The offense should be entertaining at the BSC-level. Rover may be a better fit at RB than Moore. When Tavoy is healed--put him at WR, I don't want to see him taking all this contact. He called drilled on multiple occasions yesterday. The offensive line has some more talent than I thought and they may end up being solid after some of the injured kids have some more practices under their belt.

The defense shocked me. The defensive line got pushed around like crazy. Kids were overrunning in pursuit and they were all missing a ton of tackles. Lastly, the secondary seemed lost in coverage all day. If they cannot find a way to create pressure, teams will throw the ball all over the field. Even worse, if teams are committed to the run, they will probably be able to do it at will. Then again it is early.

Lastly--punt coverage was excellent.

I know it is early--and I can be patient. I simply saw too many improvements over last year to still not be excited.

This begs the question: Should the defense be run by committee or by a single coordinator?

New coach. New system. Many of the same Zamberlin recruits. Most knew we'd get thumped, but I was surprised WSU was able to put as much on the scoreboard as they did. The defense is probably worse than I expected, but I wouldn't say it's worse than what we've seen the last few years. The other side of that is, the offense is much better than I expected this early, AND it's going to get better. Only 1 interception for Yost is impressive, whether it was a pick 6 or not.

This was the very first game of a substantial rebuilding process. You can already see improvements taking shape. Offensively, yesterday's production was double of last year's average. You are going to see a lot of ISU fireworks against Western State.

Taking a guess without watching the game but knowing Kramer from MSU days and what he wants to do.

1) You guys will enjoy watching your offense play especially if you found some answers along the offensive line to give your Qb time to throw.
2) Defense is based on applying pressure and playing man to man most of the time, unless CB's are really getting beat then throw in some zone. May take a season for them to get it dialed in, but you will like the end result.
3) APR issues are going to have a major affect on either your offensive or defensive lines for depth or talent. There is no way around it. Over a 4 year period you guys will be short 12-16 scholarship players. Takes time to dig out of hole. You will think it is Christmas when you get free of APR issues on signing day.

Washington State is starting to turn it around and from what I saw of UW the Cougs should win the Apple Cup.

Big Sky is filled with explosive offenses (not sure about UNC) and ISU will be right there with best of them.

Post game soundbites and all of the ISU highlights are up on KPVI.com
http://www.kpvi.com/content/sports/story/Idaho-State-vs-Washington-State-Recap/tglQZoDUV0K4ewM984okiA.cspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We were at Martin Stadium on Saturday. This is what I saw that I liked without listening to any broadcast:

1. The decision to start the game with an on-side kick. It went out-of-bounds but I liked the decision.
2. I like Kevin Yost as QB. His throws were accurate and when he had some pressure, he stepped up to avoid the rush, instead of running backwards. His linemen recovered to block for him until he completed the pass. When he had to scramble away to the side, he often found a receiver to complete a pass.
3. I don't remember ISU having a lot of penalties--especially late hits. Late in the game, an offensive lineman got a roughness penalty and he was immediately pulled from the game. I didn't see him return.
4. I liked coverage on punts. WSU had no big returns and often had few yards on a return.
5. ISU had a blocked PAT. I liked the effort and the play.
6. Twice in each half, ISU went on 4th down instead of kicking. The last one could have been a FG attempt, but ISU wanted 7 not 3. I liked that.
7. Rumble did a great job of receiving. On one reception he had a 59 yard TD, outrunning the secondary. On another possession in the second half, he had three receptions on three consecutive plays. Last year, I saw a lot of drops.
8. I liked all receivers, especially Josh Hill after catching the ball. When pushed out of bounds, he was still standing.
9. QB Arias had a three-and-out in the first half, but when he came in late when Yost was hurt on a sack, he moved the ball with accurate throws.

On a negative side, I made the same note on several WSU scores--"too easy".

I take my hats off to the WSU fans. They really know how to support their team. They've had some lean years lately, but the stadium was full and most everyone was wearing crimson with caps or shirts. We found the fans to be courteous and respectful. I found their team to be the same way--no celebrations of good plays, just good hard football on the field.

Here's one thing I really respected about the WSU team. At the end of the half, WSU was leading 40 to 0. There is only one entrance to the field for both teams. The whole WSU team waited, standing on the sideline quietly until every ISU player had left the field. Then they left for the locker room. A couple ISU players were lagging behind to gather up some equipment, but WSU remained until those two players had left the field. I thought to myself, "That team is a class outfit from top to bottom."

When the offensive line coach shows up 20 minutes late to practice today, he obviously did not learn much.
Great example for the freshman players!
Watch this guy after a practice or game; he does not interact with players at all.
They have a lot of room for improvement and he should be relying on those with game experience to help and role model for the younger players. Respect is earned and not demanded, maybe someone needs to check in with the offensive line players and ask how things are going? The team is very thin on the line and they did not show well at WSU. We need to protect the QB at all costs. Very disappointed in the lack of discipline from this guy who basically has no coaching experience, but seems to have a big ego! This fan is not impressed!

Fanhopeful, whats your point. If the OL coach was late it is Kramer's problem and he will deal with it. If he does not work well with the OLine, Kramer will deal with it. As for leadership sitting the bench, I don't see any. Bagley and Cutler are better than any returner sitting the bench and will play ahead of most who are on the bench because they are the future not the past. Whining here in a Fan forum is pathetic and just makes a player look bad.

Hey Blackfoot...you left out one critical time frame...THE PRESENT! Anybody in their right mind knows a freshmen OL can not compete at the same level. Go back and read what you, yourself wrote about Brad Shedd.

tigerblood said:
Hey Blackfoot...you left out one critical time frame...THE PRESENT! Anybody in their right mind knows a freshmen OL can not compete at the same level. Go back and read what you, yourself wrote about Brad Shedd.

At the PRESENT TIME, the new FR offensive lineman are competing at the same level.

I know seniors get butt-hurt when they aren't starters--but you know, it is all a part of the ISU VENDETTA.
2011--the year of the VENDETTA. 2011 the year of the NEW HORRIBLE INEXPERIENCED COACHING STAFF. Which one do you like best?

I got one for you...2011 a new beginning, Division II talent beware...

Cub, you can continue to be flippant but this has absolutely NOTHING to do with Zamberlin. This has to do with seniors that have stuck with the program through thick and thin and I for one admire them (as you know there are not very many left). I am by no means saying they should just be given a starting spot on the team but most definitely should as least be given the same opportunity as the new players coming in.Why punish them for sticking with the program. The players left from the "Hell Years" are the ONES that helped bring ISU Athletics out of the red. Cub, do us a favor and list the funds from previous "Meat Games" if you could please. I would do it but I really do not know. By the way, Yost and Rumble are fantastic, it is absolutely WONDERFUL to finally have a good QB. The turf is BEAUTIFUL, Kudos to ICCU (they have done a wonderful job promoting ISU Bengals), Kudos to Kramer for getting the students excited (still did not like the T-Shirts but to each their own).

There are not very many here that don't admire the kids that are sticking it out in the program.

The money from the guarantee games are irrelevant at this point. What makes it relevant? The argument that a coach lost his job because of guarantee games or the notion that the kids in the program paid for the luxuries that Coach Kramer enjoys.

Are these kids not getting the same opportunities? Really? Who isn't getting opportunities? The same kids that have four or five years of their educations paid for? What--because they are not starters?

When family members get on here and bitch and moan about a program and the coaches, how does it help in the NOW? Are you trying to divide the team--wishing it to crumble just as the rebuilding gets started? Just because Johnny isn't running with the ones?

Who isn't getting that fair shake, really and why?

--Flippant Cub

Latest posts

Back