• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

What We Think We Know After 2 Exhibitions

Skippy

First impressions: there will be some nights this season when it looks like the Bengals have brought knives to a bazooka fight. (See at New Mexico, Nov. 14). This team is going to have trouble scoring points. Bill Evans and his staff will have to rely on great defense, points off of turnovers and general hustle, because there is not a lot of offensive firepower available -- at least, it's not showing itself right now.

Having said that, and Bill said the same thing on our post-game show last night, I'm not as negative about the prospects for this team as I was after the Great Falls game. I think there is some potential here for growth, and I have to remind myself that Chris Hansen and Marcus Bradley didn't play last night. Hansen and his 16 ppg is an obvious plus. We don't know how long it's going to take Bradley to get healthy and in game condition, but he could be a significant piece of the puzzle before the season is over.

Let's take a look at what we've seen from the individuals so far:

Jeff Solarin -- same old workhorse in the post. Two games, two double-doubles. Actually stepped out and drained a couple of face-up jumpers from 12 feet last night. If he can shoot 70 percent from the FT line, he has a real shot at averaging a double-double this year.

Hansen -- Has lost about 20 pounds in the off-season, but I don't know if that's a good thing. He's always had such a solid base, it was tough to move him off his spot and he had a nice little post-up game to go with his 3-point touch. We'll see how his game evolves, but it's clear ISU is going to go as far as Solarin and Hansen can take them this year.

Nnamdi Ezenwa -- A revelation so far, even though it's just against two NAIA teams. Had 19 points last night and 10 against Great Falls. Will replace Andre Hatchett as the designated slasher, but also showed nice form on two three-pointers last night (made one). The redshirt year has apparently made a world of difference in his game.

Ben Wilson -- A double-edged sword -- at 6-6, he's going to be a real pain in the rear for opponents at the top of the at 1-3-1 zone, and he does a nice job as a weak-side rebounder and then transitioning and pushing the ball on the break. He doesn't shoot, though, so it's not clear if he can. Teams will slough off him big time defensively until he shows he can make an occasional jump shot.

Ian Fox -- His biggest challenge is going to be not pissing off the coach. I love his style and his approach, and he's got offensive skills the Bengals are going to desperately need. But he's gotta make the old ball coach happy.

Andre Slavik -- Was the invisible man in the first exhibition game, which I guess is understandable considering he hasn't been in a real game for more than a year. Played better last night, had 8 points and 5 rebounds, but he's going to have to become more of a physical presence on the defensive glass.

Ajak Magot -- Have been waiting to see that explosiveness on defense this year, but it's been slow to develop. He needs to make one or two dramatic blocks a game, just to announce his presence in the paint. Offensively, anything you get from Ajak will be a bonus.

Geno Luzcando -- Biggest disappointment of pre-season so far. He was billed as a very good athlete who was going to come in and contribute immediately, but so far he's 0-8 from the field and looks lost on the court. The adjustment from small division basketball in Utah to the college ranks apparently is going to take awhile.

Erik Nakken -- Walk-on has an opportunity for minutes IF, if he can make some 3s. So far during the exhibition games, he has not.

Novak Topalovic, Spencer Nicolds and Marcus Bradley -- Incomplete grades at this point. Topalovic played 14 minutes in the first exhibition game, a lot more than Bill Evans probably intended, because both Magot and Slavik got in foul trouble. He and Nicolds will both redshirt, and both need it from both a physical and a skills standpoint. It's unclear when Bradley will get on the court and how long it will take him to get into game shape, but he doesn't have a redshirt season available, so the sooner the better.

Post-script: recruiting some shooters is going to be critical this year. Hansen, Ezenwa and Solarin will all be gone after this year, and I'm betting they're going to take about 60 percent of the team's offense with them. The rest of the roster, at least at this point, offers little in the way of offensive excitement. Recruiting is going to be big this year.

Thanks Skippy, excellent review of what we've seen.

I'm anxious to see Bradley on the court to see how he changes the dynamic. I don't know anything about him but he just looks like an athlete. He and Hansen together cold add a lot of fire power?

It appears that once Fox gets more comfortable on the floor he could be an offensive contributor. I was a little disappointed in his ball handling skills. He really didn’t want the ball in the full court trap defense – very shaky.

I was disappointed that Luzcando didn’t get more playing time - especially in an exhibition game. I thought he was pretty solid in the first game and then almost no time last night.

Solarin continues to amaze me. The way he contorts his body and gets shots at the basket with bigger bodies surrounding him is nothing less than a miracle! He’s very fun to watch.

Why doesn’t Ben Wilson shoot the ball??? He doesn’t even look at the basket. You’re right if he doesn’t start proving that he can shoot it’s going to make things very difficult for the rest of the offense. Having said that – I love his defense!

I think our bigs are really going to struggle this year – your right we’ve got some big holes to fill in recruiting this next year and it’s not all about a lack of offense. The big physical teams in the conference are going to have their way with us in the paint.

Even though things look a little bleak I’ve got a lot of confidence in Evans. I just think he’ll find a way to be competitive, I hope.

Go Bengals!

Bengal guy???? Disappointed with Ian's ball handling??? Wow!
He has played 31 minutes as the PG/primary ball handler in 2 games and has 1 turnover. I didn't see the game so can only go by the stats and what game commentators say but Hansen had 5 turnovers in first game in 20 minutes of play against an NAIA team! The heralded new PG Wilson had 4 turnovers last night and didn't even want to shoot the ball!!
Ian is leading the team in assists and has 2 more than Wilson in 1/2 the playing time. Damn!
#nolove

Yep, a "little" disappointed. I'm not sure I'd call him the primary ball handler while he played and he was very reluctant to bring the ball up court against the press. Look, he's a true freshman and just learning the D1 game, he'll get better, and he needs to. But I really like him.

Hansen didn't play last night so I didn't comment on his ball handling skills, but you're right,in the first game he was very loose with the ball. he just tried to force too much.

You are right about Wilson not scoring - if he isn't going to shoot then I'd play Fox. But Wilson is more comfortable handling the ball, in my opinion.

I guess statistics don't always tell the whole story. They don't show the "deer in headlights" look when defenders run at you.

That's fair. Like I said I didn't see the game! I guess you guys did. All I could go by was the stats and the commentators statements that he "looked very comfortable with the ball"
I know stats don't say it all. We will see who can "really" handle the pressure next Friday!

Interesting that Luzcando has struggled so much. Every year in Utah, we watch the kids from Wasatch Academy roll through the season without much competition. It looks like it would do them some good to face some real competition to help prepare the college bound kids for better athletes and a quicker game. I hope he can pull out of it and live up to the potential. Here is an interesting article on Wasatch Academy. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865596220/Doug-Robinson-South-Sevier-holds-the-ball-to-send-a-mixed-message.html?pg=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hansen is one of the better shooters in the conference. Hopefully he can help with the offense issues.

RUHS (John or Ian Fox) - Reading your posts is a complete crack up. In all my time browsing the Big Sky forums, I have never seen a fan so obsessed about the play of a true freshman(2 star spring signee at that). The comments that Skippy and Bengalguy made are not things that can be found in a stat line. There are times that you need to see the game to comment. But yet you had the nerve to question the assessment of someone at a game with things you interpret from a box score.

I went to both games and think Ian is the better 1, with Ben not being able to shoot and keep the D honest. Ian also had a nice steal and basket in game 1, and forced a backcourt and an out of bounds on succesive possesions in game 2. Ben needs to take open shots or they will sluff off of him and double Hansen.

Webergrad2. Why are you even commenting? Did you see the game?
I respected what skippy and begal cub said! I just called Bengal cub out on the fact that Ian only has 1 turnover in 2 games and leads the team in assists in 1/2 the minutes of any other starter! I don't care what you're watching that stat speaks for itself! I have a hard time believing that Ian was rattled in any way with the back court press! He learned to pass out of it from possibly the best high school coach in the country vs trying to dribble through it, but .... Again I wasn't there so I said fair enough!
You mentioned you were surprised Luzcando is struggling and that maybe Wasatch doesn't play enough tough competition! Well I can say that between playing for Redondo (4 years varsity) and Compton Magic (AAU)
Ian has seen MUCH more pressure and competition than he has seen so far at ISU! (That may all change after New Mexico game) but if you do your homework and watch the games against Westchester, mater dei, lone peak, Modesto Christian, west lake, college park, JW North... I could go on and on.... You would get it!

BengalCub has not commented on this thread ;)...

I can formulate my expert opinion and share if you ask nice.

Latest posts

Back