• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

When a player does not red shirt

I have a question when scholarship players do not redshirt? We all know that some players red shirt while other players have their red shirt burned. When a player has his red shirt burned I would think it would be difficult for that player to graduate on time unless that player attends summer school. If a non redshirt does not graduate on time does that affect the APR's? What happens with these non red shirt players that did not graduate on time?

up for the challenge said:
I have a question when scholarship players do not redshirt? We all know that some players red shirt while other players have their red shirt burned. When a player has his red shirt burned I would think it would be difficult for that player to graduate on time unless that player attends summer school. If a non redshirt does not graduate on time does that affect the APR's? What happens with these non red shirt players that did not graduate on time?
I confess I am not an APR expert, so if I'm off base here, please jump in and correct me. As I understand it, the way APR works is you get one point for every scholarship athlete who is retained as long as they are eligible, and one point for every scholarship athlete who is academically eligible. You lose a point if a player leaves the institution academically ineligible. You also lose a point if an athlete stays in school, but is academically ineligible.

If I understand your example, if player burns his redshirt, stays academically eligible and in school for all four years, then the school will get full numbers of points throughout the players' career. After re-reading background on APR, I'm thinking now that the institution would lose a point when the player runs out of eligibility but doesn't graduate with his class. So if it is true that players who do not redshirt graduate at a lower level, then yes that could impact your APR.

That sounds correct Skippy. I know Kramer has done a good job getting most of his players graduated on time at ISU from what he has said in the media. I woulf imagine that it is not easy for non redshirts to maintain a certain number of credits each semester to graduate on time as any sport takes up a lot of their time during a season. I have to believe most non redshirts are attending summer school to stay on track for graduation with their class. That is a big commitment to attend summer school at ISU during the summer months at their own expense as FCS schools do not provide scholarship money during the summer. The players that red shirt seem to have the advantage as they have 5 years of college to play 4 years which means they do not need to attend summer school as they will have enough credits to graduate with their class. Kudos to non redshirt players that are able to graduate on time as they are going to summer school if necessary. If the non redshirts do not graduate on time hopefully they stay another semester at their own expense so they can graduate. If ISU loses a point for not graduating on time maybe they retain a point if they stay another semester and graduate. I personally think all scholarship players should redshirt because of the time they are putting in for practice and etc but that does not always happen as a player can have his redshirt burned anytime by a coach. Any thoughts about non redshirts not being able to redshirt like others? What players will have their redshirt burned this upcoming season.

Latest posts

Back