• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Where is the Accountability with MBB?

Bengal Roar

Another loss? This is starting to become the norm. Where is the accountability? Coaches-players? Starting to get that numb feeling like I use to get with the football program.

Just like the football team, there will be NO EXCUSES this year!

Try to keep the faith until midway through conference. This is really frustrating, I know, but they seem to be coming together more than they were a month ago. Not making an excuse at all for the record, I just want to give the team time to gel. Outside of Lacey and Gilchrest (Busma for a handful of games last year) this team has not played together for very long.

Next weekend should give fans a good read as to if this team is making progress.

Cub, I hope you're right. I'm tired of hearing OB explain poor performance by blaming the players for not coming ready to play or not playing with sufficient intensity. Certainly the players are responsible for lackadaisical play, but this has been a recurring excuse. It's ultimately OB's responsibility to have the team ready to play, including away games.

On a related note, I love watching basketball in Logan, but after watching ISU not even compete and get blown out before halftime during the last two meetings, I decided not to make the trip. Looks like it was a good decision. A relative who attended the game (a USU grad and fan, mind you) thought OB's coaching was embarrassing, and not just because of the theatrical screaming. I was told that at one point USU came out with a press and ISU appeared to have no clue how to handle it (when did practice start ... October 15?). Worse yet, OB let it go on for minutes before calling a time out. I may have had trouble believing the report, had it not been so familiar.

I have taken the same approach to optimism for success in basketball that I took with football this season: I will believe it when I see it. I am confident we will play well at times at home, but it's past time that we win some games on the road. I hope my lack of confidence is misplaced, and this team is ready to go when conference play starts.

Yea, Doing well in the BSC when it comes down to it is really all that matters, but having a team that knows how to finish and is prepared is also of importance. I am already sick of the excuses. We should be prepared already and we shouldn't still be searching for our identity. It seems most of all the other teams are prepared and ready to go. Same song and dance every year. Same coaching style and same results from players it seems. Not prepared-couldn't find our rythm-tired from traveling-learn and move on,etc etc. Change it up. Better now then later. I will not comment on this again until conference play but if we get the same results we need to see some accountibility (imo). NO EXCUSES, NONE!

old dog said:
Joe kicked his clip board.......

http://www.isuvoice.com/2010/12/24/bengals-kick-away-game-vs-broncos

That would be Cory that kicked the clipboard.

I kicked the cat, rung its neck, cut it up into little pieces and put it in the chest freezer in the garage.

Oh and Merry Christmas...

bengalcub said:
Try to keep the faith until midway through conference. This is really frustrating, I know, but they seem to be coming together more than they were a month ago. Not making an excuse at all for the record, I just want to give the team time to gel. Outside of Lacey and Gilchrest (Busma for a handful of games last year) this team has not played together for very long.

Next weekend should give fans a good read as to if this team is making progress.

Heh, you guys want a good read? Here, let me help:

-Paris 1919
-The American Civil War
-World War I
-Europe's Last Summer
-The Kings Depart

There, your reads. Get on it. :)

bengalcub said:

Sadly, I'd have to vote no. An OT home win against the conference's worst team and a home loss to a middle of the pack team doesn't exactly exude confidence in me. Listening to post game interviews where the players get ripped is getting old.

Yeah now is a good time to jump ship. I don't think this team loses because of MEAN Joe, I think they lose because OB struggles to recruit shooters.

I said nothing about jumping ship. I will always cheer for the Bengals, through thick or thin. I'm just not going to pretend to be blind and believe everything is ok when it clearly is not. Joe can be as MEAN as he wants to be, as long as he wins. I think he makes a public ass out of himself more times than not, but I don't lose much sleep over it. I just don't see any positive changes and nothing to get me excited for ISU men's basketball.

Did you listen to his post game? He complained that one player is not in game shape and continually asks to be taken off of the floor. He complained that players don't execute the plays he has drawn up. He complained that 4 players don't do anything while only 1 player works hard.

If these were recruits left over from Oliver's era, I could half way understand. But these are his recruits, and when he rips these players, he's really ripping himself. Frankly I'm amazed he says half the things he does. Imagine going into your place of work and telling your boss that your subordinates don't listen to you, don't do what you ask of them, and they don't work hard. I'd be mortified to even discuss such things. He called Gilchrest selfish for playing hurt and not allowing McGowen to play more, but isn't the Coach the one who determines who gets the playing time?

On the positive side, I'd still vote for Busma as most improved in the conference.

Go Bengals!

I did hear it with Gilchrest and I was disappointed with it. The way I see it, BG was trying to fight through his butt hurting and didn't need to be chastised for it.

If players are out of shape, that is a conditioning problem and that falls on the coaching staff as much, if not more than the players.

However, this team plays when it wants to play and they ran the offense and were way more aggressive in the 2nd half. There was quite a bit more hustle and the team got a benefit out of it. However, it seems that if they want to score on offense, they do so at the expense of the defensive effort. When they are playing balls to the wall on defense, the team struggles to score.

By jumping ship--here is what I mean. I don't see this team getting any better without an outside presence. I don't think that ISU has enough shooters to be consistent in BSC play. I think they can win a few here and there, but I don't see this team as a tournament team at this point.

I guess we will see. If this team doesn't squeak into the BSC Tourney this year, then OB will need to pull a rabbit out of his hat to save his job after next season.

Success at the college level = three point shooters. Its that simple. OB makes it to complex. In the end this is still a game, so play it like one. The kids look like they are at work out there.

I knew we were going to lose just watching them anounce the starting line up, thy had no energy or excitment. How is the crowd supposed to get into that? Feels like watching a tennis match.

Dunks and threes, thats what pumps up the crowd and the players.

BTW, is there any video on that dunk by Hatchet in the second half?

Joe knows how to coach. Three national titles do not just come your way. You have to find players that develop. It is not like we are going to steal blue chippers from Duke. In four years here, Joe made the Big Sky Tournament 3 times. We arguably finished second in two of those. Doug Oliver made the tournament three times in 8 years. Until last years disaster, Joe had a winning Big Sky record. We gave Herb and Doug 8 years, now people are worried after one bad year and a couple of bad games. With all the newcomers, it will take some time to jell. I am not ready to cry the sky is falling. We have the talent, it just has to show up.

While I agree with the basic point that OB has done well with making the BSC tourney, the team lost in the semi-finals so they finished either third or fourth not second --to finish second would mean to lose the BSC championship game.

OB's behavior takes some of the fun out of watching the game, to the point of embarrassment, and many fans don't have much patience left for losing.

Latest posts

Back