• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Where will we call home for baseball in the long-term?

SJSUSpartan1992

With the WAC falling apart, anyone have any ideas what Sacramento State's options are for baseball?
-Stay in the WAC if there are enough baseball schools left
-Try to get baseball in the MWC, Big West, or WCC as an affiliate? (I see the WCC does have CSU Bakersfield as an affiliate for women's golf so there is one public school that is currently an affiliate).
-Any others?

I imagine after the successful season we've had we'll probably try to follow soccer over to the Big West. If the BW says no I think the MWC would be sought second and if that was a no go we might grovel at the WCC's feet. I'd prefer it if all our sports went BW, but it may not be in the cards. There seems to be little movement that direction from either side. If th Sky were to invite Bakersfield, maybe a few affiliates could be added and the Sky could be a baseball concernce. I have no idea what's going to happen, but I'm just glad were only wondering where our baseball team is going to land and not faced with having no conference at all.

Pretty much what SJ said. I think the MWC was facing an issue about having enough baseball playing members before SJSU and Utah State were added so maybe they are looking for another baseball member to bolster their ranks.

I also agree that the preferable conference would be the Big West but with SDSU soon to join them for baseball (as well as all their other Oly sports), I doubt they will be looking for another member.

Fortunately there are lots of regional teams the Hornets should be able to schedule so even in a worse case scenario of not finding a home when the WAC is gone after next year, the Hornets should be able to put together some sort of a schedule.

SDHornet said:
Pretty much what SJ said. I think the MWC was facing an issue about having enough baseball playing members before SJSU and Utah State were added so maybe they are looking for another baseball member to bolster their ranks.

I also agree that the preferable conference would be the Big West but with SDSU soon to join them for baseball (as well as all their other Oly sports), I doubt they will be looking for another member.

Fortunately there are lots of regional teams the Hornets should be able to schedule so even in a worse case scenario of not finding a home when the WAC is gone after next year, the Hornets should be able to put together some sort of a schedule.

Fyi, Utah State only plays softball, not baseball. So the MWC will have baseball playing members in UNM, AFA, UNLV, Fresno, Nevada and SJSU. They may add us to be the 7th for autobid purposes. Especially if NMSU bolts to the Sun Belt.

Interesting, I thought USU had baseball. I have to believe that improves our odds as being invited as an affiliate even more. The MWC could even invite Bako to be a baseball affiliate to have 8 baseball members.

Where will our baseball team go once the WAC finally kicks the bucket? Rumor is Denver is the latest defector. The WAC may continue to add, but this move worries me. In the event the WAC ceases to exist, or is no longer a viable option, baseball is left without a home. Do we beg the Big West to take us? Can we get the MWC interested? Is there a way to get all the homeless baseball programs out there together to form a league, or have the Big Sky start baseball with affiliated members?

Same goes for gymnastics.

The Big West is the best fit. Even if the WAC survives the schools are too remote. There may be a possibility
for Big Sky Baseball with the new schools, North Dakota had a team, not sure about Southern Utah or Idaho. The Big Sky at least now has enough teams to offer Softball.

Sac, North Dakota and Northern Colorado are the only baseball members. Southern Utah dropped baseball last year. If the WAC implodes, the Sky could start baseball by inviting Bake, UVU, NMSU and Seattle as associate, or full members. Gand Canyon is the newest member of the WAC as of tomorrow, and a baseball school. I think NMSU will find a home somewhere else, but the rest would be great additions for at least a baseball conference. Southern Utah may even reinstate baseball in such a scenario

SUU would have no choice if we could convince Fullerton to make baseball a Sky core sport. Good luck with THAT one, though....

I think the WAC will invite whatever homeless schools are on the D-1 stage and basically be what the Great West currently is but with auto-bids into the NCAA post season. In this scenario I believe there would be enough baseball playing members in which a Sac State baseball affiliation would live on. The Hornets just have to wait and see what it looks like when the dust settles. As an affiliate member, there really isn’t anything that can be done.

The BSC sponsoring baseball is not happening.

Gymnastics could always move over to the MPSF and joint the handful of gym programs under that umbrella.

SDHornet said:
I think the WAC will invite whatever homeless schools are on the D-1 stage and basically be what the Great West currently is but with auto-bids into the NCAA post season. In this scenario I believe there would be enough baseball playing members in which a Sac State baseball affiliation would live on. The Hornets just have to wait and see what it looks like when the dust settles. As an affiliate member, there really isn’t anything that can be done.

The BSC sponsoring baseball is not happening.

Gymnastics could always move over to the MPSF and joint the handful of gym programs under that umbrella.
You're probably right. I worry once the dust settles, the picture isn't going to be pretty at all. But I'm staying positive. Maybe I our recent success can stick, we can find our way to the post season more often with a weakened field.

Holy hell, the WAC just added Grand Canyon University... lol

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/western-athletic-conference-adding-grand-canyon-university-losing-denver-summit-league-112712" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UTPA invited to the WAC as a full member. This adds another baseball playing WAC member.

http://www.themonitor.com/sports/utpa_broncs/article_804733b2-39df-11e2-a01a-0019bb30f31a.html

However it sounds like NMSU won the Powerball lottery and will land a home in CUSA (aka Sun Belt 2.0 after the BE raids). The WAC will still be looking for more full members to ensure their auto-bids. It’s anybody’s guess where they will come from but I think the WAC is down to D2 move-ups.

Chicago State was added by the WAC thus completing the transition of all the homeless GWC members under the WAC banner. Chi State has baseball so it looks like the WAC will survive.

http://m.wacsports.com/mobile/ViewA...0763&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=10100

The new WAC will have horrid travel but at least it fills out a schedule and will have an auto-bid into the CWS up for grabs. Who knows if Wanless will look to find a new/better home for baseball but IMO he should be working on more important things.

SDHornet said:
Chicago State was added by the WAC thus completing the transition of all the homeless GWC members under the WAC banner. Chi State has baseball so it looks like the WAC will survive.

http://m.wacsports.com/mobile/ViewA...0763&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=10100

The new WAC will have horrid travel but at least it fills out a schedule and will have an auto-bid into the CWS up for grabs. Who knows if Wanless will look to find a new/better home for baseball but IMO he should be working on more important things.
I think the new WAC works in the short term. We will be one of, if not the strongest team in the league. We can get a few post season appearances and build a name. Hopefully after a few seasons, if our reputation has truly improved, we can work our way into the Big West or MWC as an affiliate. That is if Wanless isn't trying to work a deal as we speak. Wouldn't surprise me.

Was reported that Gonzaga wants out of the WCC. That might mean Seattle is now next in line to leave the sinking ship to replace the Zags. However, it looks like they want to join the "Catholic 7" in a possible basketball only situation. So, it could mean they join the WAC for other sports. It seems like a super long shot, but if it happens or gets more serious, could be interesting.

Gonzaga possibly leaving the WCC is really disheartening. Tradition, rivalry and region are truly lost in today's big $$$ college sports world.

SDHornet said:
UND to the WAC as a baseball affiliate:

http://www.wacsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10100&ATCLID=206351462

This will take away a slot for a regional OOC game against a BW, WCC, or MWC team. Also it sounds like UND has weather and turf issues with their facilities to add on top of the increased travel costs. Not a good move as it relates to Hornet baseball. :ohno:

On the other hand, if the WAC can get two more baseball members, I believe that takes us to 12, which sets up divisions. Divisions limit our travel east of the Rockies while opening up regional OOC games. WAC has surprised me this far. I don't think its entirely impossible.

Latest posts

Back