• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Why don't we play night games anymore?

I don't know this for a fact but I've heard surveys were done over the years indicating that fans who went to games wanted earlier starts.

Again that's just what I've heard, don't know anything more.

PBP

I think the answer depends on who you ask, when you ask, and why you are asking. I've been told so many reasons why, I have no clue what to believe.

I have been told that a survey was given to season ticket holders asking about their preference.

I have been told that many of the folks who work the games complained about having to stay so late, especially if they have obligations (church, for example) in the morning.

I have been told that many restaurants and bars requested the afternoon start times, because they see a big spike after the game.

I have been told that games were moved to afternoons to accommodate those fans from Idaho Falls who didn't want to drive back late. Both of them. ;)

I have been told that attendance studies were done which indicated there was no difference between afternoon or night games.

I have been told that games were moved to afternoons so fans could catch regional games on TV at night. Seriously.

Kyle Franko had an article in the paper and on his blog this week about attendance at ISU's home openers. Relying on his numbers, I looked up to see what the start times were for the past 10 home openers. Four of the ten games started at 4:00 or later. The average attendance for those 4 games is 6,863. The average attendance for the 6 games which all started earlier in the afternoon is 5,434. Are there other factors which could be involved? Probably. I do know a lot of people who have never attended an afternoon game because it interferes with work or children. Take this Saturday, for example. There are tons of parents and kids who are involved in youth soccer games, not to mention other activities.

I would like to see some night games. You may lose some people who can't go at night, but you're going to pick up some who can't attend during the day. Right now, ISU is playing to the 60+ demographic. Lots of long term stability in that. Not.

I've been a season ticket holder for 30 years and I've never been asked what I prefer - Well, I prefer evening games!

I'm quite sure that attendance would improve and any bar or restaurant that stays open past 10:00 pm on Saturday night would do just fine.

People who come down from IF could be home by 11:00 - no problem - plus they could listen to the post game show most of the way home.

Games, regional and otherwise, begin at 9:00 am Saturday morning and go to midnight. Real Bengal fans will miss a game on T.V. to watch a live game.

I have church obligations every Sunday and guess what??? I still stay up until midnight - I know call me crazy.

I'm with Sasquatch - it's lots harder to make an afternoon game than an evening game.

C'mon admin let's go back to the good old days of evening games!

I think evening games would do better from a tailgaiting perspective too. My opinion, they need to have better concessions too if they are gonna have games at anytime. All the people I sat around were disappointed when they couldn't get a soda in the 3rd quarter....

There was a survey done probably about 12years ago now (it was under Howard), and it was pretty much 50/50 split between early and late starting times, with the older the person, the earlier the start time. The students wanted games as late as possible.

For Idaho State, night games should be the norm, and here is why. When Dubby had the idea for the dome, it was to allow fans to do all the things on a Saturday they needed to do (remember, many Mormons don't do anything on Sunday, so they have to shop, kids...it's all on Saturday during the day) and then come to the game at night in a controlled climate. It also allowed for folks to hunt and do that type of stuff.

Attendance when I was there was always better for night games, although I think it hurts you on the road when you are playing day games.

FormerISUSID

I think your observation about the older the fan, the earlier the game, is spot on. Cuts in on nap times for the walker crowd. Besides, bedtime is in the 7-8 PM time slot. Don't forget the donors/boosters, who in all likelihood are not young. Same problem in Missoula. Spent half a million to put in lights in one of the premier FCS facilities, and they got one night game a year. Bozeman has tried the night game approach and has been successful. Night games at Weber State seem to vastly outdraw day games. But, oh no, it wouldn't be popular. Follow the money. Besides, if they turn out the lights in the tater barn, it appears to be night. Frame of mind. :wall:

There should be no excuse to not schedule at least a couple of night games. The start times should not be before 6:30 or 7:00, either. Everybody has to be on board, though. You can't have announcers at 9:00 p.m. talking about how they could be relaxing at home had this game started earlier, for example.

A night crowd is so different from an early afternoon crowd.

So which fan takes the survey each year? Sounds like the mind is already made up about afternoon games, even though a couple thousand people aren't being polled since they aren't at the games.

Then again, Lawrence Welk reruns do come on later that night on PBS, so the targeted fan base does need to get home to watch it.

Latest posts

Back