• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Why Not Us?

Why is it that some FCS teams can compete against BCS teams by actually winning the games or by keeping the score close? Why Not Us? We seem to lose by 40 points or more in these games.

I think that several things are important to understand. First, in order to compete against BCS schools a team needs the players to do so, and it begins with the linemen. The second thing to understand is the number of injuries and who the players are who are injured. We've talked about these issues this summer, and I am of the understanding that a good deal of scholarships were taken away from ISU for several years, and that we are just beginning to recover from that. And we all should know that our offensive line has really been hit by injuries and had to start 3 freshmen. I'm not sure why our defensive linemen were pretty bad.

A third thing I think about is how many seniors are starting? I'm not sure. But I know you need to have some pretty good seniors on your team. The last thing I think about is leadershiop beginning with the head coach, assistant coaches, and then players, or player. Are the leaders building winners? Do the leaders believe they can beat those teams? My feelings right now would be that they do not believe ISU is good enough to beat BCS teams. So the question needs to be asked. How can we get the players who will build a winning program?

If it's true that ISU does NOT give full ride scholarships (I can't imagine that to be true), then that is certainly a good reason. Why would an elite athlete want to go to a university who is not willing to invest in his education and his future? I don't know much about the history of ISU, and it's athletic programs; so it's tough for me to know how hard it would be to get elite athletes to commit to ISU. It seems to me that we do have a pretty good freshmen class, and maybe are will soon be on the right track. If Kramer can get a few years in a row like what he and his staff did this year in terms of recruiting, maybe we are on the right track for turning losses into victories.

ISU does give both full and partial scholarships for football. ISU does not give full cost of attendance scholarships to athletes because they can not afford to do so. Right now, North Dakota is the only school in the Big Sky that does and they are now running a deficit of a million dollars and exploring options, potentially leaving the Big Sky for the Missouri Valley.

Brad Bugger posted on the Bengal Blog an excellent summery of the issues surrounding ISU athletics particularly football. Maybe he'll repost that comment in this thread or write it again.

There are real, substantial issues that ISU football faces because of things outside of their control, things they have been mandated to do and things that they probably wish they could do over.

And let's not kid ourselves, when the upsets happen and when a FCS team beats a lower FBS program it makes national news to be sure...but considering the total number of games played by an FCS school against an FBS program, that upset number is still a very, very small percentage.

PBP

The athletic scholarships while it may be a FULL scholarship or a PARTIAL scholarship (which ISU football offers both) is only guarantees on an ANNUAL basis and has to be renewed yearly! This athletic scholarship situation is a nationwide thing it isn't just singular To Idaho state. I also think it is the exact same with any scholarship like for example if the local company in some kids town awards an annual scholarship to some kid for example for $1,000 a school year I believe that scholarship is renewed each year and I think that if the student is doing bad in school and getting in trouble on campus etc the company who awards that annual scholarship will probably not give that kid the scholarship the next upcoming school year and will award that scholarship to another student.

Same with the colleges who give academic scholarships they are renewed annually and the student has to meet the minimum requirements that the school has to be elgible for that academic scholarship money.

I think with sports as long as players are doing the things the staff expects which honestly are all reasonable and obvious things like not missing meetings, not missing weight lifting and conditioning workouts, not missing practice, not late for everything, not skipping study hall, getting acceptable grades, not getting into behavioral trouble, being coachable, and other obvious things like that and working hard to improve as a player then the player will most likely have his scholarship renewed the following year and so on.

A Little more clarity about the football scholarship issue. All FCS schools (big sky conference, missouri valley conference etc etc) are allowed 63 football scholarships, except the patriot league (15 scholarships), Ivy League (0 scholarships) and pioneer league (0 scholarships). FBS teams (the pac 12, SEC, Mountain West, BIG 10, etc etc) are allowed 85 scholarships (which are ALL Full Scholarships ONLY). Most FCS football teams (big sky conference, missouri valley conference etc etc) DO NOT give full scholarships to 63 players, they give full scholarships to some guys, then split scholarships into half and quarter scholarships between some other players.

Grambling State gave Arizona a heck of a scare this past weekend leading 21 - 3 at half time but Arizona came back to win 31 - 21. I believe there has been 4 FCS teams that have won over FBS teams so far these past two weeks

demian said:
The athletic scholarships while it may be a FULL scholarship or a PARTIAL scholarship (which ISU football offers both) is only guarantees on an ANNUAL basis and has to be renewed yearly! This athletic scholarship situation is a nationwide thing it isn't just singular To Idaho state. I also think it is the exact same with any scholarship like for example if the local company in some kids town awards an annual scholarship to some kid for example for $1,000 a school year I believe that scholarship is renewed each year and I think that if the student is doing bad in school and getting in trouble on campus etc the company who awards that annual scholarship will probably not give that kid the scholarship the next upcoming school year and will award that scholarship to another student.

Same with the colleges who give academic scholarships they are renewed annually and the student has to meet the minimum requirements that the school has to be elgible for that academic scholarship money.

I think with sports as long as players are doing the things the staff expects which honestly are all reasonable and obvious things like not missing meetings, not missing weight lifting and conditioning workouts, not missing practice, not late for everything, not skipping study hall, getting acceptable grades, not getting into behavioral trouble, being coachable, and other obvious things like that and working hard to improve as a player then the player will most likely have his scholarship renewed the following year and so on.

That's true especially the last few sentences but there have been many occasions when schools particularly at the bigger level, literally get rid of kids because they are hurt or aren't as good as were expected. Sports Illustrated has had a number of stories along these lines.

That is one of the issues that reformers are trying to get changed in the future, they are asking for scholarships guaranteed (within reasonable limits based on behavior etc) for five years for athletes.

PBP

up for the challenge said:
Grambling State gave Arizona a heck of a scare this past weekend leading 21 - 3 at half time but Arizona came back to win 31 - 21. I believe there has been 4 FCS teams that have won over FBS teams so far these past two weeks

According to S.I. the first week there were four FCS winners against FBS teams. Albany beat Buffalo, Eastern Washington over Washington St., No. Iowa over Iowa State and Richmond over Virginia.

Don't know about week #2.

I'd be curious to know the total number of games played in the first two weeks matching FCS vs. FBS teams.

PBP

PBP said:
demian said:

That's true especially the last few sentences but there have been many occasions when schools particularly at the bigger level, literally get rid of kids because they are hurt or aren't as good as were expected. Sports Illustrated has had a number of stories along these lines.

That is one of the issues that reformers are trying to get changed in the future, they are asking for scholarships guaranteed (within reasonable limits based on behavior etc) for five years for athletes.

PBP

I think that is a good reform that should be granted. Guaranteed scholarship for 5 years as long as the reasonable limits are met!! I do think the APR might be a measure to sort of help limit that notion you speak of about schools literally getting rid of kids because they are hurt of aren't as good as expected because that would be lack of retention and the player would not graduate and those two factors are scored against that football team and what I understand is teams are rewarded for superior annual APR scores and penalties are given to teams that do not achieve certain APR benchmarks. I guess at each individual football program and university there probably is a different level of importance placed on the "reward" or "penalty" form the APR scores. I am sure some schools could care less about the APR scores.

Latest posts

Back