• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Will the 08 OL be one of Bengal's best

lagneb

I really like our OL personnel for this season and it may be one of ISU's best. We have 4 starters coming back; Cartwright, 6-6, 305, Smith, 6-4, 285, Metcalf, 6-3, 270, and Klovas, 6-6, 305. With the new recruits and redshirts coming on board, it may be difficult for these 2007 starters to hold their positions. Gant, 6-2, 325 Jr JC has an almost guaranteed lock on Center. Duncan, 6-6, 310, Ruder, 6-3, 300, and Sophmore Chadwick, 6-3, 285 could brake into the starting rotation. There will be some interesting battles beginning this spring and It will be exciting to see what the rotation looks like after spring ball.

We will be solid at TE also. Messersmith, 6-3, 240 started most games last year and will battle three star ranked Brad Walker, 6-3, 245 Jr JC transfer for starting rights. Can someone confirm if Martin and Winn will not be returning.

This offensive line is deep with quality kids and should open big holes for our "punch mouth" runners' Knickrehm, 5-11, 220, Cornist, 5-10, 210, and freshman recruit Fletcher, 6-1, 200. So, will we run more this year then last? It could be tempting. Hurry up spring ball.

Lag, I think you are 'spot on' as the Brits call it. I had mentioned in prior post that I thought our OL was going to be the strongest segment on the team this year(and for at least the following year also). We should average over 6'3" and right at 300 lbs. Don't forget about Ryan Henry up front also, that kid is hard core player also. Those guys are gonna definitely get it done up front. By being able to run the ball efficiently AND also pass protect, those abilities up front are gonna alow us to throw the ball more effectively as well.

TE position is indeed solid. Having a TE to stretch the middle is gonna help the other outside recievers. Word I hear is Martin is gone and Winn hasn't been around in awhile so it makes a return very unlikely.

It all starts this Tuesday.
Let's get it started in here.

GO BENGALS!

Well, perhaps initially. A lot of times the center position player can swing to guard. Especially when you have 2 really good centers like we do in Gant and Henry. Just saying Ryan Henry can play and he ain't gonna concede second position at C to Gant if he has the skills to be #1 guard or viceaversa. Know what I'm saying?
We recruited very well this year and competition is and has been great so far especially up front.
Staff has made it clear that the best players are going to start and play, and they have demanded more than ever from all of the players and will continue to demand more.
This is a nice position to be in though, wouldn't you agree???

Totally agree Believer. It hasn't been to many years that we survived (somehow) with 5-6 total quality OL. The Offensive Coordinator's job is going to be considerably more fun this year. His scheme options increased significantly with this offensive line.

It is also nice to hear the coaches are pushing the guys for that little extra. That 'little extra' is sometimes the difference required to win those close games.

Amen brutha, amen.
It all starts up front on every team. Coaching staff recognized that a solid OL is needed to compete and win the BSC. We recruited to improve and bolster all positions on the line. Depth is greatly needed seeing as how it is rare that you go the entire year with the original 5 guys up front.
Don't get me wrong, I know we still have some work to do in spring, but I like what we've done so far and this team will be prepared to compete in EVERY GAME.
We are gonna ride our 'hawgs' all the way to the end and now it's the Bengals time to start shining.

ISU's offensive line has been very good the last few years--even with the lack of depth.

What happens now is competition in spring ball will only make kids better. Also, in the fall if someone is hurt--they won't be stuck playing because of the lack of numbers.

I have heard that Henry will most likely be the center and that Gant may move to somewhere else on the line. They really like the speed that Henry has at the center position. Lord knows that everyone likes a "pulling center". I have heard that Gant is a stud as well...shoot maybe he ends up there. That is what I love about having a HOG SURPLUS.

Plus, they have youth in the program with Chadwick and the two kids that are on missions...Parker Jolley and Jordan Peterson.

You are right Cub--had almost forgotten about Jolly and Peterson. Didn't Mike Davenport, QB out of Pocatello also go on a mission?

The other interesting point about the 2007 recruiting class is--a very large majority of these kids are still enrolled. We had good retention from this class.

Latest posts

Back