• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Wk 4 Prediction thread UC Davis eags win 27-24

LDopaPDX said:
luckyintheorder said:
Can't say I liked Bests interview yesterday where he is imploring the defense to create more TO's. Stops are as good as to's so want to continue the good tackling over tackling the ball. What do I know though?

I couldn't agree with this more. IMO, turnovers are the most overrated stat in football. A turnover is just a mistake by the offense that the D capitalizes on. The more plays an opposing offense runs, the more opportunities the defense has to create a turnover. A defense that smothers the offense and forces a bunch of 3-and-outs is organically going to have far fewer opportunities for a turnover than a defense that gives up 5 first downs on every drive. I'm happy with every forced punt, and no one will knock a defense that does that every time on the field.

This game may have proved this theory wrong.

Atomic Eagle said:
LDopaPDX said:
luckyintheorder said:
Can't say I liked Bests interview yesterday where he is imploring the defense to create more TO's. Stops are as good as to's so want to continue the good tackling over tackling the ball. What do I know though?

I couldn't agree with this more. IMO, turnovers are the most overrated stat in football. A turnover is just a mistake by the offense that the D capitalizes on. The more plays an opposing offense runs, the more opportunities the defense has to create a turnover. A defense that smothers the offense and forces a bunch of 3-and-outs is organically going to have far fewer opportunities for a turnover than a defense that gives up 5 first downs on every drive. I'm happy with every forced punt, and no one will knock a defense that does that every time on the field.

This game may have proved this theory wrong.

Perhaps. However, another way to look at that might be that if we had five 3-and-outs, we'd have shut them out.

LDopaPDX said:
luckyintheorder said:

In my research it seems that a turnover is worth about 4.5 points per so using the Davis game we gained about 12.5 points due to turnovers and a team that does not win the third down battle seems to only lose 15% more often while these are really directly comparable a turnover is probably more worth it. While stopping on 3rd downs are always a good thing going for it on 4th has become more and more common especially with more and more metrics.
https://www.footballperspective.com/third-down-performance-how-much-is-a-3rd-down-worth/
http://sportsquant.com/turnovers.htm

Latest posts

Back