• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Women's Beach Volleyball added as varsity sport

Green Cookie Monster

Staff member
Adding women's Beach Volleyball for our 21st varsity sport.

http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/wvball/release.asp?release_id=11051" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why add a women's sport as we are now Title IX compliant with the current arrangement?

Something is stirring in Hornetland. Maybe we needed to add these women scholarships to account for an increase of 22 men's scholarships? :roll:

This is unbelievable! This is huge news for exactly what you mentioned (add'l women's schollies)!!!

Could we be looking to move to Conference USA West or Mountain West for football?

Fantastic news! Great, growing sport that has the possibility to draw fan and community interest. Lots of west coast schools adding the sport. I'm diggin the changes were seeing at Sac State. Not sure if its a ploy to add more women's schollies for future changes, but def one of many things they are doing to raise the profile.

also, going to be fun attending those matches ;)

I'm not sure how the schollies will work out, but UOP is utilizing the indoor staff and player pool for the beach team. Sac could be planning the same strategy.

The main question I would have for this move, though, would be facilities. UOP is building a three-court complex near their new baseball field on land that used to be the practice field for football. The article didn't say much about facilities other than playing at a local softball complex. While I would prefer someplace on campus, crew has made leaving campus work for quite some time, so this might work for beach volleyball as well.

I highly doubt that a football move is contemplated here. Either we go in violation of Title IX in reverse (which nobody seems to care about ANYWHERE; UOP has been like this ever since they killed off football), or they balance this addition with schollie reinforcements to minor male sports with historically anemic schollie support, such as boys track and crew.

Another option could be (I'm not exactly sure if this is legal under NCAA rules) to fund all the players under the umbrella of the indoor team. That is, everyone with an indoor schollie would "walk on" the beach team. If they HAVE to field some schollies on the beach, they could provide those to deserving indoor walk-ons, and still let indoor schollie athletes walk on to the beach team. Since the sports are so similar, but happen in different seasons with rosters that will overlap if not completely co-incide, there's a lot of flexibility here. The interaction between the indoor and outdoor track teams could be a template for the VB coaches in operating both programs.

Super Hornet said:
I'm not sure how the schollies will work out, but UOP is utilizing the indoor staff and player pool for the beach team. Sac could be planning the same strategy.

The main question I would have for this move, though, would be facilities. UOP is building a three-court complex near their new baseball field on land that used to be the practice field for football. The article didn't say much about facilities other than playing at a local softball complex. While I would prefer someplace on campus, crew has made leaving campus work for quite some time, so this might work for beach volleyball as well.

Maybe there is a long term plan to put a few courts up someday, possibly before the end of the season. This venture appears to be almost a last minute decision, and the School may have simply had to find a venue on short notice. Then again, they may wait to put in sand until after they find out if the experiment works. Sand courts don't take up that much space, and putting in a 3 court facility wouldn't be that intrusive, and would be rather cheap. Just sand in a giant box, posts, and some aluminum bleachers. Hornet Beach could be a reality someday.

You are correct, SJ. UOP's installation is the fastest facility job I've ever heard of (roughly a month from start to finish). From what I gather, most existing beach schools have a two-court complex, but I'm sure that third court will say something about mid-meet flexibility, or at least getting home sooner.

I don't know what you guys think, but I think a perfect place for a facility would be right outside the dorm dining hall. What better way to get dormies to an athletic event?

[spoil]Yeah, I know. Another dumb SH idea, right?[/spoil]

I think a perfect placement would be either adjacent to the softball diamond and tennis courts, or north of the soccer field.

I did a little bit of research, and it seems a lot of the schools are putting up little facilities in rapid time. Sac could easily replicate what UOP and others have erected. There is seemingly very little development, or structure construction required. It looks like UOP and others utilized small aluminum benching and tent structures for the most part.

Latest posts

Back