• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Women's Poll

Skippy

I submitted my Big Sky women's poll yesterday, here's how my ballot looked:

1. Montana: All you need to know about the Griz is that they shot 27 percent -- and won the Big Sky championship over Northern Colorado last March. Every year Rob Selvig puts some tall, physical young women on the court, plays great defense and finds a couple of upperclassmen who can score. Most years, that's good enough to win the conference title. This year, Montana loses its two best players -- Kenzie de Boer and Katie Baker, but they will find someone from among the likes of Jordan Sullivan, Torry Hill and Maggie Rickman to step up.

2. Eastern Washington: Last year Lexi Nelson, a Griz who got away, became an all-conference player, little 5-1 Kyle Huerta and F Aubrey Ashenfelter took a major step forward, and F Hayley Hodgins became a late-season star. They're all back for the Eagles.

3. Montana State: Every year, the Bobcats start fast and finish weak under Trica Bader-Binford. Last year, for example, they won 8 of their first 9 conference games -- then lost 7 out of 8 to finish a mediocre 11-9. The Cats have three starters back - PG Ausha Cole (who sat out last year), second-leading scorer Kalli Durham and PF Ashley Brumwell (8 pts,6 rebs.). We shall see if they can overcome their latent schizophrenia.

4. Northern Colorado: The Bears would certainly be in the championship discussion but for the loss of D'Shara Strange, probably the best player in the league, who, we are told, is "redshirting" this season. They might still contend, though, thanks to F Lindsay Mallon, who came on strong at the end of last season, UNC blocked shot career leader Stephanie Lee, and F Kim Lockridge, who has shot 48 percent in her UNC career.

5. Sacramento State: The Hornets lose two excellent players in career Big Sky rebounder Kylie Kuhns and league shot blocking champion Megan Kritscher. They do return plenty of talent, though, in the form of league assist leader Fantasia Hilliard, alltime Hornet three-point shooter Allie Moreno, and Se'nyce Parrish, who was fifth in the league in steals last year. In fact, I'd probably rank the Hornets higher -- if their coach hadn't just left for San Jose State.

6. Idaho State: The Bengals will be very young as a whole, but Seton Sobolewski has a way of getting production out of upperclassmen who haven't been key parts of the program in the past. He'll rely, obviously, on the two returning starters, Lindsey Reed and Kara Jenkins, but he'll also be looking for veterans like Anna Lee Policicchio, Alissa Willard and Sheryl Bitter to make contributions. ISU also has a lot of good, young players, but many of them are struggling with injury or illness, and the Bengal roster may be functionally pretty short, especially early in the season.

7. North Dakota: Without question, the no-names will be the biggest team in the conference. UND has 11 players who are 6 feet or taller, including Madi Buck (11 pts, 8 rebounds), Megan Lauck (10 points, 4 rebounds), and 6-5 Emily Everts. Size is clearly not the issue for UND -- last year they turned the ball over a horrendous 608 times in 29 games. If UND can find some stable guard play, they could take a big step up in the standings.

8. Weber State: The Wildcats broke all kinds of records for badness last year, going 0-29 overall, and winless, obviously, in league play. But they return all five starters, including four sophomores who got indoctrinated big time as true frosh. With that kind of talent and experience, they should be able to win a few games.

9. Portland State: The Vikings were one of the mystery teams last year, falling victim to injury and unexpectedly poor performance by veterans. A lot of their success this year will depend on how soon and how strongly Angela Misa and Kate Lanz return from season-ending knee injuries.

10. Northern Arizona: The Lumberjacks picked things up a bit in conference play, winning seven games after getting just one W in non-conference play, but the Axers still seem to be lacking big-time talent. They return only one starter, Amanda Frost, and she averaged just a shade under 10 points a game.

11. Southern Utah: The T-birds return two starters in Hailey Mandelko and Marquelle Funk, and senior F Carli Moreland was productive. But they don't have any stars and they are hot and cold, relying heavily on the three-pointer.

Brad:

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I had Eastern #1 in the pre season poll by the way.

PBP

OMG, someone's talking women's basketball! ;)

I'm a Lady Griz fan & not a voter or anything, but I actually agree with PBP's choice of putting EWU first. They were the only contender from last season that didn't lose much.

In addition to what was mentioned above, Montana has the best post defender in the league in Selvig and supposedly the most talented prospect to come out of Montana since Joslyn Tinkle in Alycia Sims. However, it sounds like budding star Shanae Gilham (who killed ISU in Pocatello :thumb: ) will probably redshirt due to that ACL tear in the Big Sky title game. That could really hurt perimeter shooting consistency, which was the main thing that ruined UM's '11-12 season.

As for the other rankings, I think Skippy has PSU underrated—they're too talented to finish that low unless big injuries hit again. He also has Weber overrated; they were the worst team by far last year & a ton of Carla Taylor's recruits bolted since Ord got there (like Taylor's Montana pipeline, who all transferred to Carroll College). MSU is too high, as well. The Bobcats don't have their ultimate crutch Semansky down low anymore, & their perimeter shooting was comically bad last year.

MVEM:

Having seen Montana State for the past five years, I don't think there's been any team in the Big Sky (includig Montana) that has assembled the talent that Binford has done. For the life of me I can't understand how with that much talent, she hasn't won anything. Just bizarre.

A note on Sims by the way, she actually came to ISU for a visit, saw her at the alumni game last year. It says something about Seton that a kid like that would even consider ISU. She sounds like the real deal but time will tell.

I do think that next season Seton will have something that he hasn't really had here during his tenure, that's the size to bang with the larger teams in the league. I'm looking forward to seeing that.

PBP

PBP said:
Having seen Montana State for the past five years, I don't think there's been any team in the Big Sky (includig Montana) that has assembled the talent that Binford has done. For the life of me I can't understand how with that much talent, she hasn't won anything. Just bizarre.

I dunno, the Bobcats seem to be way behind NAU in the squandered talent department. I still can't believe Amy Patton ended her career without even a Big Sky Tournament appearance.

Depending on who you believe there were a variety of issues surrounding the team and the previous coaching staff and Patton was involved in many of them. NAU had some talent to be sure but I don't think it comes close to what Montana State has had.

PBP

Latest posts

Back