• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Worse ISU Football team ever??

snakehead43

How many people think that this team is the worse football team ever at ISU? This team is not only the worse team ISU has ever had, but even the worse football team in div.II football this year.

Having followed the 1976, 1979, and 1988 teams, the answer is no. The 1976 team is probably the worst ever in my opinion.

I'd have to agree; I don't really think that this year's team is the worst, but you'd have to go back to either Joe Pascale's 1976 team, which finished the season at 1-9, or Bud Hake's 1979 team -- which finished the season at 0-11. Probably the latter team! But this year's team has got to rank as one of the worst ISU's ever had. We just can't match up right now with any of the better teams in the league with this bad of talent. Honestly, right now I'm not even looking forward to watching us play in the remaining games because we could get blown out by all of them -- except for Sac. I'm really just looking forward to watching us play next season, and for basketball season to start soon. Coach Z and staff have got to do a much better job of bringing in some talented kids in here in the offseason. If a guy like Brian McNeely can do it, then there's no reason this staff can't. I don't care where they go, whether it's California, Washington, Texas, Florida -- or wherever. I really doubt we'll win another game this year -- we could possibly win against Sac State, but my money's betting against it. Next year's team, which will be Coach Z's 3rd year here -- we've got to show some improvement and win at least a few games, and then have a winning season the year after that. If we can't do that, then we've hired the wrong person.

And I have had some coaches in the past that have told me that Pocatello can be a difficult place to recruit to, because it's cold, and it's a smaller town, and there's not a lot to do in Pocatello. But having nicer facilities will definitely help, and at least an action plan is in place to contact wealthy boosters to ask for donations to eventually make Bengal Village a reality -- which would make ISU an easier place to recruit to. And I think we can eventually have a winning football tradition here -- which is something we've never had. The people of Pocatello and SE Idaho, and the students of ISU -- will rally and support the Bengals -- once we start winning some games and have winning ballclubs. They've been very loyal for a long time, and we all deserve to have a winning program. I'm still not sure if there's going to be any shakeups in the staff or not in the offseason, but honestly, I don't think that Orthmann's play-calling ability is that bad -- and I really like it a lot better than Barnum's.

Building a winning program here isn't easy, but it can be done, and having some decent facilities to work with is just a start.

What can be done to build decent facilities?

Does ISU even have suppporters with enough $$ to make good enough donations?

In response to:
Utah Bengal:

"What can be done to build decent facilities?

Does ISU even have suppporters with enough $$ to make good enough donations?"

I'm afraid that corporate sponsorship seems to be the way to go. Naming rights, prevalent advertising, etc unless, of course, someone comes out with a massive gift from that megarich anonymous ISU alum. Is that even in the ISU network? I don't know. You can only tap the loyal supporters so much before the well runs dry. That's a tough go in this part of the state.

The condition of the facilities are always mentioned as draws for recruited athletes. I work with a former Bengal football player who claims that the ISU facilities are still quite good and that the Dome was a selling point. He played about 8 years ago and was/is quite pleased with what ISU has.

Frankly, a real disappointment to me, as a regular fan, is the seating in the Holt. Absolutely no leg room, and 1960's cafeteria seating. The Reed Gym lower sideline seats are superior to the Holt seats.

No, certainly not, this isn't the WORST (not worse) ISU football team ever. The offense has some real talent.... contrary to many of you I even think Hill is decent, a real Big Sky caliber QB. If he was put in a position where 3 or 4 td's would win a game we would be fine.

That said, this is without a doubt the worst defense I have ever seen at ISU.

Honestly, I'm not really sure if we can get much in the way of corporate support or not for facilities. Last year, ISU athletics did receive about $600,000 from corporations. But for help with facilities, it seems to me that corporations are normally more apt to give millions to schools in bigger conferences, like the Pac 10 or SEC -- than they would for a school in the Big Sky. And I think that corporations are much more prone to help with facilities for pro teams in bigger cities. If I'm wrong about this, then perhaps Frank or votb, or someone else in the know, may be able to shed some light on this subject. But I really think that our best bet for help with facilities would be to find those wealthy individuals who are ISU alums or boosters.

This could be tough to do in a city like Pocatello, where there are only four or five people in the whole city, who make an average income of at least $800,000 or so -- and the vast majority of us who were fortunate enough to have been born and raised in Poky all know who those folks are. And those few individuals may or may not be big sports fans or big fans of ISU, and may or may not be inclined to help out.

Other than that, you'd have to look to wealthy ISU alums like Jared Allen, Merril Hoge, Marvin Lewis, the CEO of Office Depot, and others who can help us out greatly. And I'm sure that these folks, as well as many others, are already on Jeff's and Jay's list of potential donors, who they're about ready to contact about help with facilities -- if they haven't done so already. Normally, I see Jared Allen every year, except for this year, at the Bengal Foundation golf tourney here in Boise. And I refuse to talk to him about the possibility of contributing to ISU for help with facilities -- and I've encouraged other boosters to do the same. Because I just feel it's just best if Jeff, Jay, and new staff member Logan Kinghorn, would do this kind of thing. Because I feel that it's best if Jared doesn't get badgered by too many people about this opportunity for giving.

You know, the thing I'm really worried about is eventually finding enough money to pay for the $22 million or so that's need for Holt Arena renovations, strictly in order to bring the facility up to code. The voters of Pocatello, with their stingy mindset, refused to pass the bond -- by an overwhelming margin, because they feel that they should be able to attend the many events at Holt whenever they want to, but they refuse to help with the much needed renovations. And according to an ISU administrator, sometime in the future, the students of ISU will be presented with the same opportunity to pass a much-needed bond to pay for the renovations. But honestly, I don't see how this could ever pass this time either. Because if the students are unwilling to pay for Reed Gym renovations for at least a few million or so, then how would they ever pass a $22 million bond to pay for renovations at Holt? And I'm willing to bet that they're going to have the same mindset as the people of Poky do, where they feel they should be able to use the dome whenever they want to, for concerts, intramurals, or whatever, but they're not going to want to fork over one penny for renovations.

And so what's going to happen? If a facility can't ever be brought up code, then it's eventually going to have to be condemned. And I don't know when this would or could eventually happen. But who knows, maybe I could be wrong, and with enough prodding and if it's presented properly, then perhaps the students could come through.

Latest posts

Back