• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

You can't keep 'em home -- but will you take 'EM back?

Skippy

Over the last four years, Idaho State offered scholarships to Idaho high school stars McKay Cannon of Shelley, Jared Stutzman of Bonneville, Josh Fuller of Madison, and Steph Gonzalez of Highland. Cannon went to Weber, Stutzman selected San Francisco, Fuller picked Utah and Gonzalez selected St. Mary's. Fast forward to 2017:
--Cannon, whose mom played at ISU, went on a mission, then earned the starting PG job at Weber as a freshman on an NCAA tournament team. But he came back to school out of shape this fall, struggled defensively and with his shooting, lost his starting job and is now on the transfer market. The obvious question is could he land at ISU? Based on his diminished play last year, I don't know if the Bengals would use a scholarship on him, but they might take him as a walk-on who would be eligible in 2018-19, and could serve as a backup PG to the JC transfer point they are trying to recruit for next season.
--Fuller, whose dad played at ISU, also went on a mission and when he got back, he lost his roster spot at Utah in a head coaching change. ISU offered him another chance to stay in Idaho, but he chose Weber instead. After one season largely on the bench in Ogden he transferrrd to D-2 Dixie State.
--Stutzman, who was highly recruited out of high school, signed with USF, went on a mission, came back to find a coaching change and reopened his recruiting. ISU also gave him a second chance to stay in state, but he selected UVU. He averaged about 13 minutes a game, started four games and had several double figure scoring games in his first season in Orem. His highlight was scoring 11 points and blocking 3 shots in the Wolves' upset win over BYU. But by the end of the season his playing time had dried up and he tweeted today he is transferring to ISU. He will have to sit out next season, then will compete to replace Geno Luzcando at the 3 position in 2018-19.
--Gonzalez went to a nationally ranked St. Mary's program, where he was a productive role player as a freshmen. But his PT dried up this year and he announced this week he's looking for greener pastures. I would think ISU would welcome him, but he just doesn't strike me as the kind of kid who is going to be happy coming home to Pocatello. His celebrated sisters started at Kansas, then transferred to UNLV. Gonzalez was recruited by schools like Montana and EWU, as well as St. Mary's. I'm not sure UM is still in the market for guards, but I suspect he'll wind up somewhere other than Pocatello.

Times have changed when it comes to athletes and their commitments to schools. It seems that there are more and more players that are transferring out of programs in hopes for greener pastures. Throw in the mission factor and that makes it worse. It seems like this is an increasing trend.

I get it to a degree, especially with coaching changes. But to me a commitment is a promise by both the player and the program. The school invests in the athlete not only to represent the school on the court or field, but also by providing the opportunity to receive life long skills and a degree by the end of their eligibility. The athlete agrees to work hard to be the best player, including being the best team player he can be. Athletics by its nature is a highly competitive business. If a player is losing playing time to someone who's stepped up their game, then step up yours. That's how it's suppose to work. Competition makes the individual athlete and the team better. Push yourself in order to get your spot back on the court rather than quit on your team, yourself and your commitment.

spazdog1 said:
Times have changed when it comes to athletes and their commitments to schools. It seems that there are more and more players that are transferring out of programs in hopes for greener pastures. Throw in the mission factor and that makes it worse. It seems like this is an increasing trend.

I get it to a degree, especially with coaching changes. But to me a commitment is a promise by both the player and the program. The school invests in the athlete not only to represent the school on the court or field, but also by providing the opportunity to receive life long skills and a degree by the end of their eligibility. The athlete agrees to work hard to be the best player, including being the best team player he can be. Athletics by its nature is a highly competitive business. If a player is losing playing time to someone who's stepped up their game, then step up yours. That's how it's suppose to work. Competition makes the individual athlete and the team better. Push yourself in order to get your spot back on the court rather than quit on your team, yourself and your commitment.

I don't disagree with you Spaz, the transfer trend is trending signicantly upward, and college athletes seem to have less patience when it comes to playing time. At the same time not all of these decisions are being made by the athletes. Coaches often advise players to seek greener pastures to open up scholarships. Loyalty is definitely a two-way street.

After reading about the missionaries and the transfers, the 5-7 JUCO PG, and Stutzman here and elsewhere, is this what we are supposed to get excited about for the future of ISU men's b-ball?
Oh, brother!

What does the future hold for next years ISU MBB, last years team was hit by injuries and never got on track. Rob Jones played a huge role on last year team, he showed alot of potential. He's not returning and the players coming in are unproven, we're going need the current players to step up and become team leaders. The new players should add dept and the chemistry on the court has to be better. We have plenty of shooters and can really use help on the boards our defense has to get better, we gave up to many open 3's. Novak can really use help protecting the paint which would allow Geno help the guards. Our ball handling has to get better and cutting down the turn overs is a must, with Gary returning that should improve our shooting which means teams can't double team Novak. With Gary and Balint shooting the 3's should spread the defense enough to allow Boyd to get to the rim. We all so have to get stronger/better on the boards rebounding is a must, last year team didn't block out well. I'm looking forward 2017/2018 season we have the potential to be conference leader with a few adjustments.

Idaho State was the worst defensive and rebounding team in the league last year -- and by a wide margin. Any improvement will have to come in those two areas. We'll see what the final roster looks like, that will be one indication if we are headed in the right direction. The other question is where Bill Evans is going defensively. It's tough to play a lot of zone with the way the game has changed and the emphasis on three-point shooting but that's always where he has been most comfortable. Bengals need to find their defensive identity and build on it.

Skippy said:
--Gonzalez went to a nationally ranked St. Mary's program, where he was a productive role player as a freshmen. But his PT dried up this year and he announced this week he's looking for greener pastures. I would think ISU would welcome him, but he just doesn't strike me as the kind of kid who is going to be happy coming home to Pocatello. His celebrated sisters started at Kansas, then transferred to UNLV. Gonzalez was recruited by schools like Montana and EWU, as well as St. Mary's. I'm not sure UM is still in the market for guards, but I suspect he'll wind up somewhere other than Pocatello.

Highland High grad Gonzalez is transferring to UC Davis...
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Stef_Gonzalez2/status/856319485694812160[/tweet]
https://twitter.com/Stef_Gonzalez2/status/856319485694812160

Latest posts

Back